Just curious - Am I insane?

    Share

    Poll

    If given the choice what would you do

    [ 2 ]
    4% [4%] 
    [ 53 ]
    96% [96%] 

    Total Votes: 55

    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5005
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by hemlock on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:32 am

    spader wrote:Interest in foreign cultures? I'm in South Korea for several reasons, one of which is interest in foreign cultures.

    Here's the shows webpage.

    http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/taboo/all/Overview

    I can point you in the right direction if you are the downloading type Wink

    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by spader on Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:41 am

    isohunt?

    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13620
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:12 am

    This poll was to make sure I actually wasn't insane. In these options I am the younger brother who made the 7 hour drive when my daughter was 2 and a half months old.

    The one immediate family member who has yet to meet her gave option one as his reason for not seeing her that day.

    My wife would never guilt me into going to an office function over meeting my niece for the first time.
    I should also mention that my brother only had to make an hour drive to make it to the x-mas party.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10071
    Age : 37
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by spader on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:16 am

    That's terrible. I'm really sorry to hear that.
    avatar
    Vandelay
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 769
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-11-07

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by Vandelay on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:24 am

    hemlock wrote:
    spader wrote:Interest in foreign cultures? I'm in South Korea for several reasons, one of which is interest in foreign cultures.

    Here's the shows webpage.

    http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/taboo/all/Overview

    I can point you in the right direction if you are the downloading type

    Yes, please! Your direction would be appreciatted.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10071
    Age : 37
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by spader on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:58 am

    I'm having trouble finding it Hemlock. Little help?

    That is to say, I've found some episodes, but not the one you're talking about.
    avatar
    Vandelay
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 769
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-11-07

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by Vandelay on Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:25 am

    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10071
    Age : 37
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by spader on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:07 am

    DLing now. Thanks Van.
    avatar
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5005
    Location : Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by hemlock on Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:55 pm

    I can direct you guys to the entire first two seasons. 27 episodes, but it's not on torrent, rather rapidshare/megaupload.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48192
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by wprager on Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:38 am

    Cap'n Clutch wrote:This poll was to make sure I actually wasn't insane. In these options I am the younger brother who made the 7 hour drive when my daughter was 2 and a half months old.

    The one immediate family member who has yet to meet her gave option one as his reason for not seeing her that day.

    My wife would never guilt me into going to an office function over meeting my niece for the first time.
    I should also mention that my brother only had to make an hour drive to make it to the x-mas party.

    Weeell, need some more input here.

    First, assuming you drove 7 hours, you probably weren't in for just one night. Was there an opportunity to visit the day after the party?

    Reason I ask is that, from personal experience, some of these parties are pretty big and pretty expensive. Back in the day when Newbridge was thriving we'd rent out a hall at the Congress Center (one year we had a to add a couple of rooms for overflow). Wife would get a new dress, I'd get a new tie. The company (rather the Social Club) would pay for some of it, but the tickets were still not free, plus we'd typically rent a room at the Westin. So it was a bit of a deal and usually planned way in advance. And as early as it was planned, we barely ever got within a month of Christmas, so if this particular party happened right around the Holidays I wonder if it was even bigger than the ones we used to have for Newbridge.

    Anyhow, I'd still not change my vote.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13620
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:24 am

    wprager wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:This poll was to make sure I actually wasn't insane. In these options I am the younger brother who made the 7 hour drive when my daughter was 2 and a half months old.

    The one immediate family member who has yet to meet her gave option one as his reason for not seeing her that day.

    My wife would never guilt me into going to an office function over meeting my niece for the first time.
    I should also mention that my brother only had to make an hour drive to make it to the x-mas party.

    Weeell, need some more input here.

    First, assuming you drove 7 hours, you probably weren't in for just one night. Was there an opportunity to visit the day after the party?

    Reason I ask is that, from personal experience, some of these parties are pretty big and pretty expensive. Back in the day when Newbridge was thriving we'd rent out a hall at the Congress Center (one year we had a to add a couple of rooms for overflow). Wife would get a new dress, I'd get a new tie. The company (rather the Social Club) would pay for some of it, but the tickets were still not free, plus we'd typically rent a room at the Westin. So it was a bit of a deal and usually planned way in advance. And as early as it was planned, we barely ever got within a month of Christmas, so if this particular party happened right around the Holidays I wonder if it was even bigger than the ones we used to have for Newbridge.

    Anyhow, I'd still not change my vote.

    The annual family party is always the first Saturday in December and it's always at my Uncle's. It's Potluck.

    I will admit that no effort was made on my part to see if we could visit the next day but none was made on his either. Quite frankly I was pissed at him for not showing up and not having the nuts to tell me he wasn't going to show up. I had to find this out during the party.

    I called him on it recently and his response was what is in the poll as option one.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13620
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:30 am

    As far as his wife getting a new dress blah blah blah. It's really irrelevant. His wife was actually the one who had told me they were going to the family party and then never even bothered to tell me they were cancelling. He only cancelled the day of or the day before can't remember which. He would have known well before that if there was a conflict. If he really felt the staff party needed to be attended then he could have called me and made arrangements to see me the next day.

    Personally I think it's a load of crap, his excuse that is, but even if he's telling the truth it's clear that most people side with me on this one.

    Vote so far is 43 to 3. I'd still love to hear from those 3 people though. I want to know if there is a valid argument to be made.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13620
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:13 pm

    I have just changed the poll to allow vote cancelling for anyone who may have misunderstood the poll and voted hastily.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    Amnesia021
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 499
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by Amnesia021 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:50 pm

    I'm one of the 3, I voted against the majority because I try to get out of family parties whenever I can BagoverHead ... especially when there are new kids envolved . BUT! I would've let you know I wasn't going to be there that night and would have made an effort to either see you earlier or later that night, or the next day. Work is very important to me and sometimes work parties (depending on who your boss is) are very important to your boss and they can feel jaded if you choose not to show up to a party they are throwing. A jaded boss can be bad when cut backs start or advancement is on the table.

    I wouldn't have left you hanging in the wind though. Did he have any kids at the time? Where you the first to give the 'rents grandkids?
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10071
    Age : 37
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by spader on Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:52 pm

    I think any reasonable boss would understand based on the circumstances.
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13620
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:08 pm

    Amnesia021 wrote:I'm one of the 3, I voted against the majority because I try to get out of family parties whenever I can BagoverHead ... especially when there are new kids envolved . BUT! I would've let you know I wasn't going to be there that night and would have made an effort to either see you earlier or later that night, or the next day. Work is very important to me and sometimes work parties (depending on who your boss is) are very important to your boss and they can feel jaded if you choose not to show up to a party they are throwing. A jaded boss can be bad when cut backs start or advancement is on the table.

    I wouldn't have left you hanging in the wind though. Did he have any kids at the time? Where you the first to give the 'rents grandkids?

    The key element you are missing in all this is it's not YOUR boss and it's not YOUR X-mas party. It's your WIFE's Staff party that you chose to go to instead.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    Amnesia021
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 499
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by Amnesia021 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:58 pm

    Tells you who wears the pants in my household... but that limits my choice even more. If the Wifey feels its extremely important for her to be there. I'd have very little wiggle room.

    I still would have communicated better with my brother and made additional arrangements.
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by shabbs on Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:03 pm

    Cap'n Clutch wrote:I have just changed the poll to allow vote cancelling for anyone who may have misunderstood the poll and voted hastily.
    I understood it perfectly.

    Family first.

    Always.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Just curious - Am I insane?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:04 am