The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Share

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47960
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by wprager on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:18 am

    I know that the top line does not seem to br producing, but it's still early. And if you look at the team stats, the top two point producers are Alfie (1st line rep) and Fisher (2nd line rep) with 2 goals and 2 assists each. Then Regin with 3 points (he's been playing 3rd lately).

    The real surprise to me is that Picard is right up there with 3 assists in 3 games, and a +4 to lead the team. I know it's only stats and it's still early, but still.

    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54432
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by PTFlea on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:07 pm

    wprager wrote:I know that the top line does not seem to br producing, but it's still early. And if you look at the team stats, the top two point producers are Alfie (1st line rep) and Fisher (2nd line rep) with 2 goals and 2 assists each. Then Regin with 3 points (he's been playing 3rd lately).

    The real surprise to me is that Picard is right up there with 3 assists in 3 games, and a +4 to lead the team. I know it's only stats and it's still early, but still.

    I still think Picard has lots of work to do to get back to being effective defensively as well though.

    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13614
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:25 am

    Even in a loss I wanted to put another shout out to Michalek for his hard forechecking game. He was even rewarded with his first goal of the season.
    avatar
    beerandsens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 862
    Age : 35
    Location : my shadow
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-10

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by beerandsens on Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:06 pm

    The Sens talked about a turnaround. They talked about coming together as a team that plays for each other night in and night out.

    17 straight successful penalty kills now.
    +
    2 shorthanded goals scored over that stretch
    ________________________________________

    +2 rating on the pk

    TALK IS CHEAP

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by Guest on Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:22 pm

    Carkner is a hiuge part of that penalty kill and surprisingly enough so is Picard. Leciare is always huge. As if we have an all-star goaltender in nets!
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 38
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by rooneypoo on Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:30 pm

    beerandsens wrote:The Sens talked about a turnaround. They talked about coming together as a team that plays for each other night in and night out.

    17 straight successful penalty kills now.
    +
    2 shorthanded goals scored over that stretch
    ________________________________________

    +2 rating on the pk

    TALK IS CHEAP

    Michalek could have easily had another last night, too. With guys like him, Fisher, and Alfie on the PK, we're always going to be a threat to score. Michalek may well have a year like J. Staal had on the PK the other year -- with, what, 7-8 shorties?
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54432
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by PTFlea on Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:36 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    Michalek could have easily had another last night, too. With guys like him, Fisher, and Alfie on the PK, we're always going to be a threat to score. Michalek may well have a year like J. Staal had on the PK the other year -- with, what, 7-8 shorties?

    Yeah, true enough, he's always buzzing on the PK.
    avatar
    Hockeyhero22000
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 4060
    Location : drifting
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by Hockeyhero22000 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:33 pm

    the sens PK is second in the league at 93.1% only the blue jackets have a better percentage at 95.8%
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47960
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by wprager on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:19 pm

    Hockeyhero22000 wrote:the sens PK is second in the league at 93.1% only the blue jackets have a better percentage at 95.8%

    Columbus is unreal. They killed another 3 or 4 last night, and got a shortie as well. There is no way we can catch them without them giving up a PPG. They will, of course, we just have to make sure we don't until that happens.

    I'm OK *not* having the #1 PK (top-5 is good enough for me) but I really would like a better PP. A great PP forces opposing teams to think twice about the rough stuff. It helps avoid injuries. A great PK typically happens with a lot of blocked shots -- an many bruises. Not that I'm suggesting that we stop blocking shots, but if our PK slips from #2 to #5 because Alfie is no-longer there (except when the game is on the line) then I'm good with that. And with Carkner in the lineup A-Train probably doesn't have to compete for the starting goaltender job as he has been doing. You know the saying -- many hands make light work. Imagine heading into the playoffs with no major or nagging injuries and fresh legs.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13614
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:27 am

    I heard this from Gary Galley a while ago and I agree with it. As long as your PK overall standings plus your PP overall standings adds up to 10 or less then you're in good shape. For example if your 4th overall on the PK and 6th overall on the PP that adds up to 10 and is a good position to be in. So if one of either your PP or PK is 1st overall then you're still in great shape if the other doesn't drop below 9th.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10065
    Age : 37
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by spader on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:34 am

    That seems like it goes without saying. If your PK and PP are, on average, top 5, then of course you're in good shape. That's like saying if your top 3 players and top goaltender are in the top 5 of the league, and your defensemen are in the top 5 for +/-, then you're in good shape.

    Or, if your team is the best in the league, then you're in good shape.

    Or, if you win the Stanley Cup, then you had a good team.

    I'm not trying to mock you Cap, but it just seems like a silly thing to say.
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13614
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:44 am

    spader wrote:That seems like it goes without saying. If your PK and PP are, on average, top 5, then of course you're in good shape. That's like saying if your top 3 players and top goaltender are in the top 5 of the league, and your defensemen are in the top 5 for +/-, then you're in good shape.

    Or, if your team is the best in the league, then you're in good shape.

    Or, if you win the Stanley Cup, then you had a good team.

    I'm not trying to mock you Cap, but it just seems like a silly thing to say.

    Not really. It doesn't always work. Detroit had a great PP (1st) and a horrendous PK (25th) last season. It's a good general rule that I only brought up because Prages was talking about where he'd like the Sens PP and PK. Detroit finished 3rd overall in the league and made it to the Finals with a 25th overall PK.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10065
    Age : 37
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by spader on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:49 am

    Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    spader wrote:That seems like it goes without saying. If your PK and PP are, on average, top 5, then of course you're in good shape. That's like saying if your top 3 players and top goaltender are in the top 5 of the league, and your defensemen are in the top 5 for +/-, then you're in good shape.

    Or, if your team is the best in the league, then you're in good shape.

    Or, if you win the Stanley Cup, then you had a good team.

    I'm not trying to mock you Cap, but it just seems like a silly thing to say.

    Not really. It doesn't always work. Detroit had a great PP (1st) and a horrendous PK (25th) last season. It's a good general rule that I only brought up because Prages was talking about where he'd like the Sens PP and PK. Detroit finished 3rd overall in the league and made it to the Finals with a 25th overall PK.

    But doesn't that fact speak against the PK+PP=10 or less= good shape thing? I think it does for two reasons. One, Detroit was definitely in good shape last year, despite having a 26 rating on the PK+PP meter. Two, any team that's top 5 in PK and PP is in good shape. The fact that Detroit had a bad PK just shows that it is a stat that can be overlooked under certain circumstances.
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13614
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:08 am

    spader wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    spader wrote:That seems like it goes without saying. If your PK and PP are, on average, top 5, then of course you're in good shape. That's like saying if your top 3 players and top goaltender are in the top 5 of the league, and your defensemen are in the top 5 for +/-, then you're in good shape.

    Or, if your team is the best in the league, then you're in good shape.

    Or, if you win the Stanley Cup, then you had a good team.

    I'm not trying to mock you Cap, but it just seems like a silly thing to say.

    Not really. It doesn't always work. Detroit had a great PP (1st) and a horrendous PK (25th) last season. It's a good general rule that I only brought up because Prages was talking about where he'd like the Sens PP and PK. Detroit finished 3rd overall in the league and made it to the Finals with a 25th overall PK.

    But doesn't that fact speak against the PK+PP=10 or less= good shape thing? I think it does for two reasons. One, Detroit was definitely in good shape last year, despite having a 26 rating on the PK+PP meter. Two, any team that's top 5 in PK and PP is in good shape. The fact that Detroit had a bad PK just shows that it is a stat that can be overlooked under certain circumstances.

    It really doesn't matter to me. It's common sense and a nice general rule with exceptions. I really won't lose any sleep over being told I just finished stating the obvious. Trust me it's not the first time and won't be the last. That's what I get for not only being right brain dominant but being blonde as well.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10065
    Age : 37
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by spader on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:11 am

    Sounds like a good combination to me.

    Regardless of whether it's a matter of stating the obvious or not, I'd sure be pleased to see the Sens fit into that PK+PP=10 calculation.

    SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5649
    Age : 37
    Location : Dorchester, NB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by SensFan71 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:12 am

    N4L wrote:Carkner is a hiuge part of that penalty kill and surprisingly enough so is Picard. Leciare is always huge. As if we have an all-star goaltender in nets!


    Nice feeling with Leclaire in the nets, have we ever had an all star goalie? and Hasek doesn't count as he was an all star before he was a Sen.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10065
    Age : 37
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by spader on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:14 am

    SensFan71 wrote:
    N4L wrote:Carkner is a hiuge part of that penalty kill and surprisingly enough so is Picard. Leciare is always huge. As if we have an all-star goaltender in nets!


    Nice feeling with Leclaire in the nets, have we ever had an all star goalie? and Hasek doesn't count as he was an all star before he was a Sen.

    Hasek doesn't count not because he was an All-Star before he was a Sen. Hasek doesn't count because he gave up on the team because he had a hangnail.

    SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5649
    Age : 37
    Location : Dorchester, NB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by SensFan71 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:19 am

    spader wrote:
    SensFan71 wrote:
    N4L wrote:Carkner is a hiuge part of that penalty kill and surprisingly enough so is Picard. Leciare is always huge. As if we have an all-star goaltender in nets!


    Nice feeling with Leclaire in the nets, have we ever had an all star goalie? and Hasek doesn't count as he was an all star before he was a Sen.

    Hasek doesn't count not because he was an All-Star before he was a Sen. Hasek doesn't count because he gave up on the team because he had a hangnail.

    yeah that didn't leave a great impression in my mouth either, before Leclaire though, Hasek was the best starting goalie we had, Leclaire might not be as skilled as Hasek, but what he has in potential far outweighs anything else, so far he has had 6 starts and no signs of slowing down/injury trouble.

    Sponsored content

    Re: The REAL Sens Slogan - Talk is Cheap!

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:14 am