All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 6803
    Favorite Team : Chicago
    Registration date : 2009-01-22

Schubert Is A Thrasher

Post by davetherave on Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:45 am

From the Ottawa Citizen:

OTTAWA The Atlanta Thrashers have claimed defenceman Christoph Schubert off re-entry waivers from the Ottawa Senators, says executive vice president and general manager Don Waddell.

Schubert, 27, has appeared in 268 NHL games over four seasons with the Senators, recording 65 points (23 goals, 42 assists) and 194 penalty minutes. The 6-3, 230-pound native of Munich, Germany, has also appeared in 31 playoff games for Ottawa, including an appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals during the 2006-07 post-season.

Last season, Schubert appeared in 50 games for the Senators, tallying six points (three goals, three assists) and 26 penalty minutes. During the 2006-07 season, he set career highs with eight goals, 17 assists and 25 points. The following season in 2007-08, he matched his high in goals and played in a career-best 82 games for Ottawa.

Schubert has represented his country in international competition on nine occasions, including the past two Winter Olympic Games (2006 and 2002), the World Cup of Hockey (2004) and five World Championships (2009, 2008, 2005, 2002 and 2001).

Originally selected by Ottawa in the in the fourth round, 127th overall, in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft, Schubert spent three seasons with the Binghamton Senators of the American Hockey League from 2002-03 to 2004-05, recording 54 points (14 goals, 40 assists) in 216 games. Prior to his North American career, he played two seasons for the Munich Barons in Germany.

---

Schubert has puzzled and infuriated more than a few fans in Ottawa.

Personally, watching CS, the inconsistency left me with the nagging feeling coaches didn't know how to get the best out of him.

John Anderson is an excellent coach, so maybe Schubie will prove his critics wrong.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47802
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Schubert Is A Thrasher

Post by wprager on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:57 am

Wow, Dave, were you really up at 4:45? Were you still up or up already? I thought old guys sleep in? Look at Neely, he's 82 and hardly ever up before any of the teenagers here.

hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5005
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

Post by hemlock on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:12 am

I can't believe we had to eat half of his cap hit to get rid of this guy. At least a buyout means noone else is getting this guy at a huge steal. Garbage.

I love what Murray has done over this course of this past offseason, but he waited too long to do something with the extra bodies. This is yet again another person on the books for not being here.

That's 2 players and 2 coaches, for those keeping track. I can't imagine Melnyk being thrilled about this.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:20 am

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed that we couldn't have made a trade with Atlanta for a 7th rounder even. Hopefully this cap hit won't come to bite us in the Donkey later.

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:29 am

Melnyk just paid Heatley 4 mil for nothing, paying another mil for someone else not to play here is a fairly big deal when you are talking about REAL money. 400 000 plus saved for Melnyk so I'm sure he's happy.

Schubert, enjoy Atlanta.
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by hemlock on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:47 am

N4L wrote:Melnyk just paid Heatley 4 mil for nothing, paying another mil for someone else not to play here is a fairly big deal when you are talking about REAL money. 400 000 plus saved for Melnyk so I'm sure he's happy.

Schubert, enjoy Atlanta.

He's saved the whole amount money wise. Atlanta pays his whole salary, but we eat half the cap hit if I understand the rules correctly.

Still, like shabbs said, I hope the cap hit we are eating for Schubert to play elsewhere doesn't cost us later on.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:54 am

No, we pay half salary and half cap.
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by hemlock on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:38 am

shabbs wrote:No, we pay half salary and half cap.

Frig. Thanks for clearing that up, anyhow.
    davetherave
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 6803
    Favorite Team : Chicago
    Registration date : 2009-01-22

Post by davetherave on Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:38 pm

wprager wrote:Wow, Dave, were you really up at 4:45? Were you still up or up already? I thought old guys sleep in? Look at Neely, he's 82 and hardly ever up before any of the teenagers here.

That's for me to know...and you to wonder about.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:27 pm

Schubert will be in the Thrasher's line-up for Thursday's game against the Blues.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54300
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:31 pm

shabbs wrote:Schubert will be in the Thrasher's line-up for Thursday's game against the Blues.

Wew! :prop: Game on Schubie!
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by TheAvatar on Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:57 pm

davetherave wrote:
    wprager wrote:Wow, Dave, were you really up at 4:45? Were you still up or up already? I thought old guys sleep in? Look at Neely, he's 82 and hardly ever up before any of the teenagers here.

That's for me to know...and you to wonder about.

Good answer ! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:23 am