GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Bettman: "Salary Cap will NOT go down next year"; and GMHockey investigates NHL attendance

Bettman: "Salary Cap will NOT go down next year"; and GMHockey investigates NHL attendance

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star
Here's what I think the problem is. The people that will go to the games usually will buy the lowest priced tickets, which as Neely said and I agree with, are still pretty pricey. When I go to a game and buy tickets, it has always been in the 300s. IF I have ever seen a game from closer, and I can't recall, would have been if I won them or they were from my dad's work giving them away. I can't really afford to pay $30-50 per seat to see a game, at least not very often. The most games I saw in a season was when I was a student and took advantage of the $17 seats.

A lot of the games I have gone to, I notice a lot of empty seats in the 100s and 200s. Seems like a clear message that fans will go to games, but not at the price you want for those seats. You lower those prices, a lot of people in the 300s will move down, and those seats will get sold to more people who cannot afford the 100-200 levels.

Food and Bev. is marked-up way too much, so I avoid that. I also rarely park in the lots. Normally will walk from KRC or SensPlex. Besides being free, you normally get to your car in the same amount of time it would have taken you to get out of the lot.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Lots of restaurants around Kanata have a shuttle that will take you to/from SBP. That $12 or $13 you save on parking will pay for one of your entrees, and the shuttle gets you there/back quicker.

Some people in the comment section of the quoted article are complaining about SBP being "out of town"? And if they put it where the War Museum is (forget for a moment that the City would not allow that), do they *really* think that the 2-lane, 50 km/hr Riverside Parkway would move 18K+ people any faster?

There is no disputing that the parking lots are a mess, but there are lots of ways around that. Stick around for the 3 star selection; walk around the SBP; stop for a quick drink; take a shuttle; take the bus (park at the Park and Ride). Fewer cars at the SBP will help everyone.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star
I honestly don't mind the walk, I think it is fun. The shuttle service still costs you the price of a meal, so not really an option for most people, but I have done that and it works.

The other thing that is a piss off is when you think you're getting tickets for $14.00 and they end up costing you $25 when it is all said and done. Capital Tickets is just a way for the Sens to get more money (not that I agree with what TicketMaster does either).

I think that Kanata was the best place for the arena - no problems there. But I do think now having lived in the GTA that Ottawa's traffic system is poorly designed.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Finally a bit of an upswing.
Bettman: "Salary Cap will NOT go down next year"; and GMHockey investigates NHL attendance - Page 10 2010%20attendance

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I suspect that upswing has a lot to do with lowered ticket prices and an increase in the number of free tickets being handed out.

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I suspect that upswing has a lot to do with lowered ticket prices and an increase in the number of free tickets being handed out.

Possibly. I'm not tracking these numbers on a per-team basis. Maybe more Canadian-based teams had home games? Maybe more attendance during the holidays?

I'll bet Santa's Chief Elf is happy, though:

Bettman: "Salary Cap will NOT go down next year"; and GMHockey investigates NHL attendance - Page 10 Gary-bettman1

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I suspect that upswing has a lot to do with lowered ticket prices and an increase in the number of free tickets being handed out.

Possibly. I'm not tracking these numbers on a per-team basis. Maybe more Canadian-based teams had home games? Maybe more attendance during the holidays?

I'll bet Santa's Chief Elf is happy, though:

Bettman: "Salary Cap will NOT go down next year"; and GMHockey investigates NHL attendance - Page 10 Gary-bettman1

He might be but I don't think Melnyk is smiling right now. 2000 tickets left for tonight and 4000 tickets left for tomorrows game. YIKES!

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Well, "fewer than 2000" and that was yesterday. But it's not going to be a sell out.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:Well, "fewer than 2000" and that was yesterday. But it's not going to be a sell out.

Phew Thank you for clearing that up Bettman Prages. I was getting a little concerned but I can now see all is well. Wink

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Well, "fewer than 2000" and that was yesterday. But it's not going to be a sell out.

Phew Thank you for clearing that up Bettman Prages. I was getting a little concerned but I can now see all is well. Wink

I'm glad you can see how that's actually a *good* thing. Imagine if there were not tickets available. Why, that would mean that some fans would be turned away and left disappointed. The NHL would never, ever want to leave their fans disappointed, so having 2000 tickets available is 2000 more fans that can be left, umm, appointed.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I'm glad you can see how that's actually a *good* thing. Imagine if there were not tickets available. Why, that would mean that some fans would be turned away and left disappointed. The NHL would never, ever want to leave their fans disappointed, so having 2000 tickets available is 2000 more fans that can be left, umm, appointed.

Do you write Bettman's speeches or is it just me? Cool

- Unknown Author

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Do you write Bettman's speeches or is it just me? Cool

I've got four kids. With some of the "explanations" I've heard, yeah, I could write for Bettman.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Up two weeks in a row (or is that three? I haven't been very good at keeping up).

Bettman: "Salary Cap will NOT go down next year"; and GMHockey investigates NHL attendance - Page 10 2010%20attendance

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
It would be interesting to see what the 08/09 line looked like with all of it's fluctuations like you have with 09/10.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cap'n Clutch wrote:It would be interesting to see what the 08/09 line looked like with all of it's fluctuations like you have with 09/10.
I'm sure Doug MacLean has one.

Wink

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:It would be interesting to see what the 08/09 line looked like with all of it's fluctuations like you have with 09/10.

Wink

And next year, I'll have one too. Then we can play together.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Wink

And next year, I'll have one too. Then we can play together.

I can't wait for 2010/11 to see the comparison. Yeah that's it. For the comparison. Not because I can't stand watching the Sens get pummeled.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
shabbs wrote:Considering the economic trend the world is experiencing, it's natural to assume the cap will go down... but the calculation is likely highly complex and can probably be manipulated to ensure that they can control the swing to ensure the cap moves according to their "plan". Call me a skeptic... but that's how I see it.
HA! Look at this... and the Salary Cap goes UP yet again.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325481

Man... mark my word... we could have a world war with a nuclear holocaust and the NHL's salary cap would STILL GO UP. Book it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum