You are not connected. Please login or register

Not sure what to think (Olympic medals)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Not sure what to think (Olympic medals) on Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:24 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Heard on the radio that the Vancouver Olympic Games medals were unveiled. They feature an undulating (wavy) surface to represent the west-coast terrain (or maybe they represent how the designer was feeling because of other west-coast goodies). The medals weight over a pound each! And no two medals will be alike because they are cropped from a larger image or combination of two images.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/10/15/bc-vancouver-olympic-medal-design.html?ref=rss

2 Re: Not sure what to think (Olympic medals) on Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:39 pm

Tuk Tuk

Veteran
Veteran
I used to love puttin coins on train tracks when I as a kid

3 Re: Not sure what to think (Olympic medals) on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:18 pm

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran
I like them!

4 Re: Not sure what to think (Olympic medals) on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:19 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star
Those look absolutely ridiculous...I wonder how much money the Olympic committee spent (wasted) on this design.

5 Re: Not sure what to think (Olympic medals) on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:36 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
TheAvatar wrote:I like them!

What, exactly, do you like about them? Call me a purist, but I like my medals round and on the small side. Those are huge -- over a pound each in weight. They are wavy, and the Paralympic ones are square.

I like simplicity of design of the Summer Olympics medals. For those games the medals *must* feature this on one side:

The hosting city can go to town on the flip side. However I don't think the IOC would have looked kindly if the traditional design was wavy.

It's the Winter Olympics that went that-a-way a few times. Remember the opening ceremonies in Albertville? Remember those glass medals?

6 Re: Not sure what to think (Olympic medals) on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:22 pm

Sens19

Veteran
Veteran
I don't mind them, its something new and creative. I think the round ones symbolize a medal more though, that's just the way medals are supposed to look: round

http://sens19-hockeytalk.blogspot.com/

7 Re: Not sure what to think (Olympic medals) on Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:57 pm

caissie_1

Veteran
Veteran
I like them... It's different.

8 Re: Not sure what to think (Olympic medals) on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:41 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
I am loving the unique design, mind you, some of those small figure skaters might fall down when they put these heavy medals on, but man, they are some slick looking, saw them last night on sports centre.

9 Re: Not sure what to think (Olympic medals) on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think they're awesome. Great idea, great look and a very unique and Canadian design. Very impressed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum