Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13633
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:26 pm

SensFan71 wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    SensFan71 wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:Rather than being reactionary towards a report and a video clip from a station not much better than a video version of your everyday supermarket tabloid, I'll choose to make an informed decision from more reliable sources.

I have heard it from a guy at work, his wife works in Public Health, and she doesn't even want to get the H1N1 vaccine or any other flu vaccine, that speaks volumes to me. I have only gotten the flu shot once, and I was sick the whole winter, as opposed to all the other winters when I haven't, I never got sick at all. Maybe that is not the case for everyone, but it is for me.

First of all that's anecdotal which means nothing to me. Second, I work for the Department of Health but I have zero credibility when it comes to recommendations regarding health issues such as this. Your work colleague's wife could be an Admin Assistant in Public Health for all I know.

I should have included her role, she is a public health nurse in Moncton, NB, so if some nurses are pushing it (which I assume is their job), yet others aren't going to get it themselves, I would follow along with the public health nurse that isn't going to get it.

I'll take information published in peer reviewed scientific journals over one nurse.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24789
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'll take information published in peer reviewed scientific journals over one nurse.

I don't know. Some of those nurses are pretty hot.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 49034
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:59 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:I'll take information published in peer reviewed scientific journals over one nurse.

I don't know. Some of those nurses are pretty hot.

Hot? A fever is one of the symptoms of flu!

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:47 pm

It's funny that the Campbells Chunky and Beer debate is more of an intelligent debate than this topic thread. Wink

- Unknown Author
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 5050
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Post by SensGirl11 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:It's funny that the Campbells Chunky and Beer debate is more of an intelligent debate than this topic thread.

Is that cheap shot directed at me. Interesting.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:32 pm

SensGirl11 wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:It's funny that the Campbells Chunky and Beer debate is more of an intelligent debate than this topic thread.

Is that cheap shot directed at me. Interesting.

I put the winky face in there but I guess you missed it. It was a joke.

- Unknown Author
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:41 pm

I gotta get me some winkie faces here at home. Whenever the wife thinks I've offended her, just (quickly, secretly) stick one of those up on my forehead, point to it, and say "Oh, you must have missed this".

Last edited by wprager on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5649
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SensFan71 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:43 pm

wprager wrote:I gotta get me some winkie faces here at home. Whenever the wife things I've offended her, just (quickly, secretly) stick one of those up on my forehead, point to it, and say "Oh, you must have missed this".

mmm I think you might be onto something, you might have cut the amount of time husbands/boyfriends spend in the doghouse due to sarcastic comments by 50%.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:47 pm

wprager wrote:I gotta get me some winkie faces here at home. Whenever the wife things I've offended her, just (quickly, secretly) stick one of those up on my forehead, point to it, and say "Oh, you must have missed this".

You need to stick it on your forehead immediately after saying it or it's not the same. I think? scratch

- Unknown Author

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:55 pm

"The swine flu is simply another flu. It is not unusually deadly."

I've been saying this since the start. Just watching it develop, you could see it was a fairly tame virus. Obviously no one wants to be sick, but these dramatic measures seemed unnecessary to me.

When it comes to fox news, I'm on cap's side, but in terms of this virus, I'm not going to chance it with the vaccine.

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:58 pm

Are people ACTUALLY still talking about this. I hope I get the Diddling swine flu just so I can say, STFU I had it, it's the Diddling FLU!
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:59 pm

Gohan wrote:"The swine flu is simply another flu. It is not unusually deadly."

I've been saying this since the start. Just watching it develop, you could see it was a fairly tame virus. Obviously no one wants to be sick, but these dramatic measures seemed unnecessary to me.

When it comes to fox news, I'm on cap's side, but in terms of this virus, I'm not going to chance it with the vaccine.

Just so we're all clear. I never advocated taking the vaccine or going without it. I was only providing an alternate source of information to fox news which I feel is more reliable and is based on scientific research. Whether you feel that the Public Health Agency of Canada is providing false information or not is up to everyone to decide but I personally accept it as valid data.

- Unknown Author
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:00 pm

N4L wrote:Are people ACTUALLY still talking about this. I hope I get the Diddling swine flu just so I can say, STFU I had it, it's the Diddling FLU!

You just like to post a comment in every thread. Razz

- Unknown Author

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:05 pm

Just all the talk about this crap has been so unreal from day 1, it's hard not to punch everyone who mentions it right in the face.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:13 pm

Neely, what you may be failing to realize is that taking the vaccine has much more to do with protecting *others* than it does you. The elderly, young and those with accompanying other health issues are at risk. If you contract it then, say, go visit your grandmother or someone else at a long-term care facility, you may infect many others. The vaccine is going to be available in November. Right around the corner from that is the Christmas/New Year's holiday break. Lots of family visiting, some coming in to show off the new additions to the family. How tragic would it be if someone's cavalier attitude about this resulted in the hospitalization of their baby niece or nephew?

Yeah, I know I'm being a little over the top (just a tad) but the reason for the vaccine has much more to do with containing the pandemic than it does with preventing normal, healthy people from contracting the virus.

You are right, somewhat, that it's just a flu. However in past outbreaks it's been observed that the Swine flu is much more aggressive and dangerous than garden-variety flus. This one "seems" to be quite mild in comparison, but people (elderly, infants and all ages in-between) have died from it. A total of 80 people have died in Canada, 25 of them in Ontario.

If you don't get vaccinated and get the flu, I have no doubt that you will feel sick for a few days then be back to normal. It's not going to do anything to you. I also hope, however, that if you do contract it, that you stay home.

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:17 pm

wprager wrote:Neely, what you may be failing to realize is that taking the vaccine has much more to do with protecting *others* than it does you. The elderly, young and those with accompanying other health issues are at risk. If you contract it then, say, go visit your grandmother or someone else at a long-term care facility, you may infect many others. The vaccine is going to be available in November. Right around the corner from that is the Christmas/New Year's holiday break. Lots of family visiting, some coming in to show off the new additions to the family. How tragic would it be if someone's cavalier attitude about this resulted in the hospitalization of their baby niece or nephew?

Yeah, I know I'm being a little over the top (just a tad) but the reason for the vaccine has much more to do with containing the pandemic than it does with preventing normal, healthy people from contracting the virus.

You are right, somewhat, that it's just a flu. However in past outbreaks it's been observed that the Swine flu is much more aggressive and dangerous than garden-variety flus. This one "seems" to be quite mild in comparison, but people (elderly, infants and all ages in-between) have died from it. A total of 80 people have died in Canada, 25 of them in Ontario.

If you don't get vaccinated and get the flu, I have no doubt that you will feel sick for a few days then be back to normal. It's not going to do anything to you. I also hope, however, that if you do contract it, that you stay home.

I get the old and the young, more so the very young. Won't be crying about those.

If you're on a computer you dont need the flu shot. You're either too young to use one or too old to know how to use.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:26 pm

I think I may finally get that bald spot my dad's been telling me I'll be getting ever since I was 19 -- from scratching my head over that last post.

Let's break this down:

I get the old and the young, more so the very young. Won't be crying about those.

Did you really mean to say that? You won't be crying about infants who die from the flu?

If you're on a computer you dont need the flu shot.

OK, makes sense. I'm still with you.

You're either too young to use one or too old to know how to use.

Not getting this one. Are you saying that I'm either too young or too old to use it? I'm sure that's not what you meant.

However if you meant the generic "you" (the "on" in French) then you are essentially saying that the very young or very old would not be using a computer. And if you are on the computer then you don't need the vaccine. But if you are very young or very old you are probably *not* on the computer.

But if A (being on the computer) implies B (not needing the vaccine), then Not-A (not being on the computer) does not necessarily imply Not-B (needing the vaccine).

So if you were trying to show how the young and the toothless require the vaccine -- while I agree, I don't see the necessary steps to prove it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:55 am