You are not connected. Please login or register

H1N1 Vaccine not Safe

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

61 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:48 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
shabbs brings up an important point. Kids need 2 shots. Not sure of the age group or the wait between shots, though.

62 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:55 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SeawaySensFan wrote:shabbs brings up an important point. Kids need 2 shots. Not sure of the age group or the wait between shots, though.
Yeah, children aged 6 months - 9 years old will need 2 shots - each 0.25mL. The 2nd shot needs to be given 21 days after the first shot. For those taking their children, make sure you remind the person giving the shot that it's the half does (0.25mL) as some kids were given the full dose by accident at a clinic in Brampton. They are all fine, but it's better to be safe.

I believe Health Canada was looking at whether or not the kids needed a 2nd shot and were going to make an announcement this week. I have not heard anything yet, so as far as I understand, the 2 shots are still needed.

More info here: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/alert-alerte/h1n1/index-eng.php

Careful about what you hear in the media and on "blogs"... go to the source and talk to your doctor.

63 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:01 pm

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore
Shabbs has the best advice of all. Talk to your Dr.

64 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:19 pm

Hobiesens

Sophomore
Sophomore
shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:shabbs brings up an important point. Kids need 2 shots. Not sure of the age group or the wait between shots, though.
Yeah, children aged 6 months - 9 years old will need 2 shots - each 0.25mL. The 2nd shot needs to be given 21 days after the first shot. For those taking their children, make sure you remind the person giving the shot that it's the half does (0.25mL) as some kids were given the full dose by accident at a clinic in Brampton. They are all fine, but it's better to be safe.

I believe Health Canada was looking at whether or not the kids needed a 2nd shot and were going to make an announcement this week. I have not heard anything yet, so as far as I understand, the 2 shots are still needed.

Careful about what you hear in the media and on "blogs"... go to the source and talk to your doctor.

This came out this afternoon on cbc news...
Single Dosage.....
The updated recommendation reflects the results of clinical trials from Europe that suggest a single half-dose of the H1N1 vaccine containing an adjuvant or booster offers sufficient protection for healthy children, Health Canada said.
"For healthy children between three and nine years old, this means that one shot may be enough to provide protection from the H1N1 flu virus," said Dr. David Butler-Jones, Canada's chief public health officer.

65 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:34 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hobiesens wrote:
shabbs wrote:

This came out this afternoon on cbc news...
Single Dosage.....
The updated recommendation reflects the results of clinical trials from Europe that suggest a single half-dose of the H1N1 vaccine containing an adjuvant or booster offers sufficient protection for healthy children, Health Canada said.
"For healthy children between three and nine years old, this means that one shot may be enough to provide protection from the H1N1 flu virus," said Dr. David Butler-Jones, Canada's chief public health officer.
Hmmm... interesting... but the terms "suggest" and "may be enough" are not exactly a concrete decision. I'll have to keep an eye on that one.

66 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:15 am

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod
Well, I just found out that my sister had a bad reaction to the vaccine, her throat swelled-up, and now they (the doctors) refuse to give it to her 6 month old baby. How do you know if it's right for you? How do you protect such a young child from contracting the illness if they can't get the vaccine?

67 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:37 am

Phoenix30

Veteran
Veteran
SeawaySensFan wrote:Vaccine or not, I can tell you that my 26-year old sister is in intensive care at the Ottawa Hospital right now because of H1N1.

There are currently 15 or 17 others in the same boat in that ward alone right now. As of today, no visitors are allowed in the critical care wing. This is how bad it is.

Take care.

My thoughts and prayers are with you

68 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:50 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SensGirl11 wrote:Well, I just found out that my sister had a bad reaction to the vaccine, her throat swelled-up, and now they (the doctors) refuse to give it to her 6 month old baby. How do you know if it's right for you? How do you protect such a young child from contracting the illness if they can't get the vaccine?
Yikes. Does she have any allergies to eggs by any chance? Has she had a similar reaction to the seasonal flu shot?

69 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:55 pm

Hobiesens

Sophomore
Sophomore
SensGirl11 wrote:Well, I just found out that my sister had a bad reaction to the vaccine, her throat swelled-up, and now they (the doctors) refuse to give it to her 6 month old baby. How do you know if it's right for you? How do you protect such a young child from contracting the illness if they can't get the vaccine?

Protecting the young ones is the hard thing, I have H1N1 but also have a 5 month old girl. I've secluded myself in the basement, day 5 today and the rest of the family is fine so far, knock on wood. I wear a mask if I need to go upstairs, tough on my wife though and my 3 year old son just wants to come down to play with me. I caught it early and the Tamiflu kicked the flu in the arse for me.

70 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:26 pm

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod
shabbs wrote:
Yikes. Does she have any allergies to eggs by any chance? Has she had a similar reaction to the seasonal flu shot?

No, no allergies to eggs at all. She has pretty common allergies. She's lactose intollerant but not really severely. She drinks Lactose free milk. Other than that it's all common allergies, animals, dust, mold etc..
this is part of the e-mail she sent me "there are a lot more chemicals in the vaccine than the regular flu shot. they have no clinical data on the vaccine in children under 3 years old." She has been calling CHEO every day to see if she can bring her little guy in, but as we all know there is no vaccine left at the moment. I'm not convinced they will give him the shot, considering what happened to her. They don't know what allergies he has yet, he's too young still for those tests.

71 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:28 pm

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod
Hobiesens wrote:

Protecting the young ones is the hard thing, I have H1N1 but also have a 5 month old girl. I've secluded myself in the basement, day 5 today and the rest of the family is fine so far, knock on wood. I wear a mask if I need to go upstairs, tough on my wife though and my 3 year old son just wants to come down to play with me. I caught it early and the Tamiflu kicked the flu in the arse for me.

That's awesome, I'm happy to hear it. I hope you get over it completely soon, I'm sure you're having a tough time not spending time with your family as well.

It's good to know that Tamiflu works and can be relied on if you can catch the symptoms of the flu early and get the shot. I guess if you're not sure what you have you should go to the Dr. right away to be sure to cover all your bases.

72 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:53 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SensGirl11 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

No, no allergies to eggs at all. She has pretty common allergies. She's lactose intollerant but not really severely. She drinks Lactose free milk. Other than that it's all common allergies, animals, dust, mold etc..
this is part of the e-mail she sent me "there are a lot more chemicals in the vaccine than the regular flu shot. they have no clinical data on the vaccine in children under 3 years old." She has been calling CHEO every day to see if she can bring her little guy in, but as we all know there is no vaccine left at the moment. I'm not convinced they will give him the shot, considering what happened to her. They don't know what allergies he has yet, he's too young still for those tests.
Scary, there's something in there that she reacted to, for sure. They'll be very cautious before giving it to her son. At 6 months old, they need to take every precaution.

73 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:11 pm

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod
shabbs wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Scary, there's something in there that she reacted to, for sure. They'll be very cautious before giving it to her son. At 6 months old, they need to take every precaution.

Definitely. I don't think he'll be getting the shot, I dont' know what they do in that case.
Yeah, she had fever and chills too, she's still not feeling well and she got the shot 1 week ago. Apparently the reaction happened very quickly.

74 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:25 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I think the big concern right now is the mercury content.

75 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:45 pm

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod
SeawaySensFan wrote:I think the big concern right now is the mercury content.

You're right, that's what I've been hearing lately too. There are more things that will come out about this vaccine. The production was too quick, IMO.

76 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:49 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SeawaySensFan wrote:I think the big concern right now is the mercury content.
Indeed. Mercury is in the Thimerosal which acts as a preservative for the vaccine. The preservative is needed since it is in a multi-dose vial.

77 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:45 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Health Canada has updated their recommended dosage for children. See the info here:

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/alert-alerte/h1n1/vacc/recommendation-recommandation-eng.php

The summary of the change is that children aged 3-9 years old who are healthy will only need 1 half dose. Kids that are aged 3-9 years old but have an underlying chronic condition will still need two half doses 21 days apart.

Note that this recommendation may change at a later date.

78 Re: H1N1 Vaccine not Safe on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:03 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
SSF, any updates on your sister?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum