You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » Atlantic » Boston Bruins » Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot

Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:42 am

asq2

All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:They are at 21 which is (barely) bottom-10. And they got there with Lucic and Savard still in the lineup. It's ludicrous to think that, losing two of their best players, they will suddenly turn around this (admittedly early-season) trend. So, although I can see how it can happen, at this point they are very much a bottom-10 team and there is little indication that that's going to change any time soon.

True, but I mean a bottom 10 team over-all, not a bottom-10 team through the first couple months of the season.

It's largely useless IMO to extrapolate results so far over a whole season. The Leafs, for example, could get some bounces, go on a three-game win streak, while the Sens could be overconfident and lose three in a row. All of a sudden the Leafs are only three points behind us.

Plus, losing a key player can cause other players to bond together and step up: see the Leafs of a few years ago when Sundin went down.

Boston is a team featuring a Jack Adams coach, a Vezina goaltender (and one of the best-ranked goalie prospects in the league), a Norris defenceman (and some good defensive depth in Wideman, Morris, Stuart, Ference and Hunwick) and a still respectable forward group.

So, you shouldn't necessarily think they will reverse the trend sans Savard, but I don't think it's ludicrous to say they can.

What I mean is, don't go pencilling Fowler and Hall into the B's 2010 line-up yet. At worst, it's probably Fowler and Hishon. And then Adam Larsson in 2011. Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Icon_wink

17Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:44 am

asq2

All-Star
All-Star
Also, see the Sens of 2006-2007 losing Chara, Havlat and Hasek, starting out the season poorly, at one point losing Spezza, Fisher and Vermette (I'm pretty sure) and then going to the Finals.

Not necessarily going to happen, but not ludicrous to think about.

18Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:44 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
With Savard out he's not likely going to have enough time to impress Team Canada staff. Time for Spezza to turn it on. If he's playing well defensively, the points we all know will come, and if the team is actually leading the division -- that's sure to get him noticed. Still an extremely long shot, but it just got a tiniest bit longer.

19Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:53 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
Dash wrote:Don't tell him that, he still thinks he made off with a winner. He has the fans brainwashed in believing that too.

You mean to tell us BB that two potential top 5 picks, and the possibility of a steal with a 2nd, wouldn't get you the equivalent of one Kessel somewhere?

I know drafting is never a definite (see Alexandre Daigle), but with a top 10 pick this year, I am sure Burke could find one player that is a Kessel type, then he would have retained 2 draft picks.

20Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:56 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
SensFan71 wrote:
I know drafting is never a definite (see Alexandre Daigle), but with a top 10 pick this year, I am sure Burke could find one player that is a Kessel type, then he would have retained 2 draft picks.

A Kessel type who'd be ready in 2 or 3 years though. This way, Kessel's ready in November of this year - and then for the next 4 years. No farming required, the Bs did all of that. That's the cost of farming a quality player and letting him loose before he hits contract 2, it's heavy no matter how you slice it.

21Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:59 am

Personally if you gave me the choice between having Kessel and Toronto's next 2 #1's and a #2. I would take the picks every time. This team is no where near competing despite Burke's delusions and his pressing will kill the future of a kid like Schenn.

But I hate the Leafs so press on Burkie, press on...

22Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
MurderOnIce wrote:Personally if you gave me the choice between having Kessel and Toronto's next 2 #1's and a #2. I would take the picks every time. This team is no where near competing despite Burke's delusions and his pressing will kill the future of a kid like Schenn.

Wilson is starting to hurt Schenn as well. He had him pinned to the bench for the entire third period of last game - and he was apparently quite distraught about it.

23Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:03 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
MurderOnIce wrote:Personally if you gave me the choice between having Kessel and Toronto's next 2 #1's and a #2. I would take the picks every time. This team is no where near competing despite Burke's delusions and his pressing will kill the future of a kid like Schenn.

That's why this is amazing to me. The Leafs are in hardcore rebuild mode, and they give up 3 big picks? How does that make any sense? The Penguins were terrible until they drafted down the middle with Crosby and Malkin. If they had traded those picks away for a Kessel-type player, who thinks they'd be the reigning champs right now?

24Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:10 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispenser wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

A Kessel type who'd be ready in 2 or 3 years though. This way, Kessel's ready in November of this year - and then for the next 4 years. No farming required, the Bs did all of that. That's the cost of farming a quality player and letting him loose before he hits contract 2, it's heavy no matter how you slice it.

well I hope no one is thinking that Kessel is going to come in and be a saviour to get the Leafs back to the promised land, the team isn't that good and a player ready in 2 to 3 years should be in their plans, they don't need immediate fixes, they need to start thinking mid to long term plan.

25Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:14 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I meant that, of course it could happen, but it would be ludicrous to expect it to happen. Sure, the hardships could galvanize the team, but to expect it to happen, and to happen with such force as to overcome the losing trend, is what I meant to be ludicrous. I wasn't actually commenting on anyone's opinion. Just that they are at #21 and odds are they will get worse with the recent losses of Lucic and Savard.

asq2 wrote:
wprager wrote:They are at 21 which is (barely) bottom-10. And they got there with Lucic and Savard still in the lineup. It's ludicrous to think that, losing two of their best players, they will suddenly turn around this (admittedly early-season) trend. So, although I can see how it can happen, at this point they are very much a bottom-10 team and there is little indication that that's going to change any time soon.

True, but I mean a bottom 10 team over-all, not a bottom-10 team through the first couple months of the season.

It's largely useless IMO to extrapolate results so far over a whole season. The Leafs, for example, could get some bounces, go on a three-game win streak, while the Sens could be overconfident and lose three in a row. All of a sudden the Leafs are only three points behind us.

Plus, losing a key player can cause other players to bond together and step up: see the Leafs of a few years ago when Sundin went down.

Boston is a team featuring a Jack Adams coach, a Vezina goaltender (and one of the best-ranked goalie prospects in the league), a Norris defenceman (and some good defensive depth in Wideman, Morris, Stuart, Ference and Hunwick) and a still respectable forward group.

So, you shouldn't necessarily think they will reverse the trend sans Savard, but I don't think it's ludicrous to say they can.

What I mean is, don't go pencilling Fowler and Hall into the B's 2010 line-up yet. At worst, it's probably Fowler and Hishon. And then Adam Larsson in 2011. Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Icon_wink

26Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:29 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
Yeah, that's fair.

Speaking of Rask, my God does he ever look like Frankenstein.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=4958

27Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:29 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You can't seriously think the B's we've seen so far are the "real" B's? They're gonna get it together.

Losing their top line will hurt for sure - Kessel gone, Lucic and Savard out for a while. But they'll be back. For sure.

28Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:30 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispenser wrote:

Wilson is starting to hurt Schenn as well. He had him pinned to the bench for the entire third period of last game - and he was apparently quite distraught about it.

He's been playing Schenn on his wrong side, too.

How to make your young players lose confidence 101.

But, we have to give him credit for what he did with Schenn last season.

29Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:37 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
asq2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

but if he goes and dismantles what positives he instilled in Schenn last year, he is definitely not doing that young man any good, another young player bound to be ruined by the Leafs.

30Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:45 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:
You can't seriously think the B's we've seen so far are the "real" B's? They're gonna get it together.

Losing their top line will hurt for sure - Kessel gone, Lucic and Savard out for a while. But they'll be back. For sure.

At this point in time they are bottom-10 team. The recent injuries have made them weaker (on paper, admittedly). We have no idea what's going to happen the rest of the season. What if the recent spate of injuries isn't a blip but a trend? What if Thomas or Chara are lost long-term? They lost a significant amount of scoring depth in Kessel and Kobasew, and last year they didn't make it out of the East. A loss of two top-nine players can be the difference of winning on most nights and being middle-of-the-pack. Middle-of-the-pack in this division means you don't make the playoffs. It *can* happen. Do I think it will happen? Of course not.

Oh, by the way, remember that I've never been entirely sold on Tim Thomas. He's got his big contract now and his SV% is below .900. Why? The defense is the same in front of him. Did something happen? Did the horseshoe finally fall out? Is he getting older? Did he relax after getting the big money?

Without Kessel's production and Tim Thomas's heroics, do the Bruins have what it takes to recover? We shall wait to find out.

31Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
asq2 wrote:

For sure, he was great with Schenn last year, but he's really causing some issues now. I didn't realize he was playing him on his wrong side, that's devastating even for a vet.

32Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:49 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Prags - I've never been sold on Thomas OR Fleury. How funny is that now that Fleury's a Cup Champ that I'm still nowhere near sold on him.

33Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot - Page 2 Empty Re: Bruins place Savard on LTIR with broken foot on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:52 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Fleury went #1 overall, so he must have had some pedigree. Thomas struggled as a backup for a long time before sticking around. Abd he still looks horribly out of position on many of his saves. For a goalie that has to do acrobatics in order to make a save, a little age is not going to be very kind.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum