GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » I believe Al "Ratface" Strachan has been fired by the CBC (again)

I believe Al "Ratface" Strachan has been fired by the CBC (again)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/on-hot-stove-head-shots-and-gemini-honours/article1332002/

Looks like Al Strachan is out of the Hot Stove and into the fire.

On Tuesday, Usual Suspects received the following e-mail from Jeff Keay
of CBC: “Hot Stove has a number of guest contributors who we rotate
through the lineup. At this time, we've made the decision to take Al
out of the regular rotation and to use some of the other personalities
we've added to the broadcast over the summer.”

Translation: Strachan has been dropped from the Hockey Night In Canada segment a second time, having first been let go in 2005.

CBC's missive didn't specify why Strachan was let go, but it did say
that it wasn't over the unauthorized use of HNIC's logo on the cover of
a book Strachan has penned about the Maple Leafs. “While we did have an
issue with that (we're very careful to protect its use),” said Keay,
“we have no problems with the editorial content of the book. In any
event, that issue was dealt with quickly and satisfactorily from our
[point of view] and isn't a driving factor.”

But Strachan's firing came so soon after the book issue that some
observers say it's hard not to make some connection between them. There
is also speculation that Strachan's negative comments about Toronto
Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke, among others, were creating
pushback against Strachan. CBC denied that was why the acerbic Strachan
was shelved.

“Our analysts speak their minds,” Keay tells Usual Suspects. “That's why they're our analysts.”

Last edited by SpezDispenser on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
again? Did I miss something there? Maybe they should stop having Mike Milbury on the After 40 minutes part of the show as well, what a freaking doof.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
SensFan71 wrote:again? Did I miss something there? Maybe they should stop having Mike Milbury on the After 40 minutes part of the show as well, what a freaking doof.

If I was CBC, I would stay away from the dumb ones like Milbury, Ratface etc. I feel badly for calling them dumb because they have been entrenched in the industry for a while, but I'm not a fan in the least - and find they rarely have anything useful to say at all.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I think it's entirely possible that Strachan was canned for speaking ill of The Genius. When is the CBC re-branding as LeafsTV2 ?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
SeawaySensFan wrote:I think it's entirely possible that Strachan was canned for speaking ill of The Genius. When is the CBC re-branding as LeafsTV2 ?

Pretty sad really if that's true.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I actually liked "Rat-face". Not sure what that says about me, but keeping Dickbury on as long as they have proves my point that the CBC don't know what they are supposed to be doing. Heck, I don't even think they know what they actually *are doing*.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:I actually liked "Rat-face". Not sure what that says about me, but keeping Dickbury on as long as they have proves my point that the CBC don't know what they are supposed to be doing. Heck, I don't even think they know what they actually *are doing*.

Keep him on so the other guys have someone to beat up on (he's so dumb).

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Problem with Dickbury is that he is in complete denial of how stupid he really looks, sounds and acts. Either that, or he is even more stupid than I give him credit for, and he actually thinks he is smart. Rat-face, at least, has a little humility built in (or maybe that's just his rat-facedness coming through).

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Strachan has no endearing qualities. He once dedicated a column to The Alfie's lack of heart. There is no forgiving that.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
SeawaySensFan wrote:Strachan has no endearing qualities. He once dedicated a column to The Alfie's lack of heart. There is no forgiving that.

I didn't realize that. We should hire him here, just so we can fire him for that.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
SeawaySensFan wrote:Strachan has no endearing qualities. He once dedicated a column to The Alfie's lack of heart. There is no forgiving that.

He did? Then he's dead to me.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
SpezDispenser wrote:

I didn't realize that. We should hire him here, just so we can fire him for that.

Hand-slapping laughing green smiley!

I'll paraphrase a favorite line of mine from Buffy (the movie):

Fire him. Fire him a lot.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star
SeawaySensFan wrote:I think it's entirely possible that Strachan was canned for speaking ill of The Genius. When is the CBC re-branding as LeafsTV2 ?

when Coaches Corner changes to the newly accepted title Leafs Corner.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SpezDispenser wrote:

He did. There are some of his editorials or whatever the Diddle you want to call them archived online. I just don't have the inclination to look. It happened, though, in the heyday of the Battle of Ontario.

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

he should be spat upon after being tarred and feathered for that, then all Sens Fans should be lining up to throw watermelons at him. I believe Al "Ratface" Strachan has been fired by the CBC (again) 68747

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum