You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » M. Richards' hit on Booth

M. Richards' hit on Booth

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1M. Richards' hit on Booth Empty M. Richards' hit on Booth on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:46 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=296083

Mike Richards will not be suspended. I saw the hit and it really didn't look like a dirty hit. It was all shoulder and he did not leave his feet. Really sucks for Booth and Florida, though.

2M. Richards' hit on Booth Empty Re: M. Richards' hit on Booth on Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:42 pm

Reminiscent of Neil on Drury.

3M. Richards' hit on Booth Empty Re: M. Richards' hit on Booth on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:30 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
RobbyJ wrote:Reminiscent of Neil on Drury.

I thought the same. A milli-second late, but pretty legal IMO. Predatory though, Richards should be aware of how much damage he could do because there will always be guys looking to do the same thing to him.

4M. Richards' hit on Booth Empty Re: M. Richards' hit on Booth on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:15 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
True... but this is hockey, and while I'm sure the attacking player does not want to severely injure the opposing player, of course they want to lay a huge hit to knock them off the puck, off the play, send a message to his team, the opposing team, etc.

I also feel that should you decide that you are going to make such a hit, you should be prepared to have to stick up for yourself if and when his teammate wants to clean your clock.

And just like knocking a player out of the lineup benefits the teams that they must play, your actions, if deemed to be outside of the conduct and rules of the league and the players, whether written or not, the offending player should face consequence and penalty.

I liek Booth and Richards, respect them as players, and they are both valuable to their teams, so this is a huge loss for Florida.

5M. Richards' hit on Booth Empty Re: M. Richards' hit on Booth on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:15 pm

M_Christopher

M_Christopher
Sophomore
Sophomore
Reckless play, Richards didn't aim for Booths body, he went for the head. It was technically a legal hit, but very dirty, in my opinion.

Booth was unable to pull himself out of danger, and Richards is too good of a player to "accidentally" miss his mark. (which should have been Booths shoulder/body not head.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=121

6M. Richards' hit on Booth Empty Re: M. Richards' hit on Booth on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:22 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
As much as I agree that it was predatory, I have a couple of comments:

1. This wasn't Neil on Drury. Neil's hit was shoulder to shoulder at the point of initial contact. This was shoulder to head. Also, although Neil also came from behind, he skated out a bit to make the collision more head-on than from behind.

2. How can this be a 5 minute major for *interference*? Watch yourself (below). There's not even a beat between the pass and the hit.

3. Booth turns and sees Richards coming, then turns away and does *nothing* (does not slow down, turn away or into the hit, brace himself -- nothing!). I hate, hate, hate blaming the results of a hit on the victim, but here Booth passed to his left then cut to his blind side, in the middle of the ice (suicide alley); then he saw the hit coming and still didn't brace himself. Yes, I know it was split-second, but still.

7M. Richards' hit on Booth Empty Re: M. Richards' hit on Booth on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:50 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Speaking of questionable hits, how about the Scuderi "hip-check" on Chimera? PuckDaddy has a video of it up in his blog:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Scuderi-s-hip-check-sends-Chimera-skates-?urn=nhl,198084

I don't see how Scuderi , after having watched the replay, could be defending himself. Take a look at the image below (screen grab from the video). Scuderi's *entire* body is almost at the level of Chimera's knees. You can't call it a hip check when you are hitting 8" *below* the hip.

M. Richards' hit on Booth 73824_2610

That is *NOT* a hip check. Not even close. This play should be a major penalty in the NHL. The first risk is major knee ligament danger. And if the player has any speed at all, the you know he's going to do a flip and risk landing on his head. Like this:
M. Richards' hit on Booth 74442_2610

He's very, very lucky that's a cut above the eye and not a broken neck. *Very* lucky. And I have seen that hit made many times with the same results almost every time.
M. Richards' hit on Booth Ept_sports_nhl_experts-701779379-1256528627

8M. Richards' hit on Booth Empty Re: M. Richards' hit on Booth on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:22 am

Keep your head up, pretty simple.

9M. Richards' hit on Booth Empty Re: M. Richards' hit on Booth on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
N4L wrote:Keep your head up, pretty simple.

Or keep it down, as the case may be Smile I assume you are talking about the hit on Booth. Really odd that he looks and sees Richards coming, then does nothing about it.

What's your take on the Scuderi Submarine?

10M. Richards' hit on Booth Empty Re: M. Richards' hit on Booth on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:41 am

That one was kind of cheap. Don't like that kinda stuff because there is actually no way to avoid it. That's a helpless position.

11M. Richards' hit on Booth Empty Re: M. Richards' hit on Booth on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:12 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
N4L wrote:That one was kind of cheap. Don't like that kinda stuff because there is actually no way to avoid it. That's a helpless position.

I was thinking you could try to jump over (like a steeplechase runner), but then if Scuderi comes up from his crouch you'd be better off staying on the ice. The other thing to do is to drop down in a heap and take him on low. If he Scuderi goes up then he is the one doing hand-less cartwheels on the ice; if he stays down then it's just like an open-ice hit at ice-level. Problem is, you definitely lose control of the puck, and you probably get called for a submarine yourself.

That's why my vote is to call this kind of hit or at least review (hard to see at game speed if it was at the knee or close to the hip or whatever).

12M. Richards' hit on Booth Empty Re: M. Richards' hit on Booth on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:22 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
That was a submarine hit there. Might as well be a chop block.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]