shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: Bow down before... THE BEAST!!!

Post by shabbs on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:35 pm

wprager wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Windows 7 is supposed to be everything Vista wasn't. We'll see. Vista never touched any of my hardware.

My son's new laptop was installed with Vista. I got the one with the 4 GB and 64-bit OS that came with the free upgrade to Windows 7. Didn't really know much about this (I've still got a Win95 install disc around somewhere ) but I was asking my buddy if I should go for the 4 GB version (it was $100 more but the $50 rebate from PayPal kicked in at the higher price, so to me it was $50 for an extra 2 GB and the 64-bit OS). He clued me in on the free Windows 7 upgrade.
    With 4GB of memory you can go back to WinXP if you wanted. My laptop came with Vista but I rolled it back to XP as I hated Vista.

Phoenix30
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1271
    Registration date : 2008-08-15

Post by Phoenix30 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:46 pm

So how did you guys get the free windows 7.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:46 pm

Phoenix30 wrote:So how did you guys get the free windows 7.
    Mine was not free, but it was OEM priced with the hardware.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48176
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:23 am

shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Windows 7 is supposed to be everything Vista wasn't. We'll see. Vista never touched any of my hardware.

My son's new laptop was installed with Vista. I got the one with the 4 GB and 64-bit OS that came with the free upgrade to Windows 7. Didn't really know much about this (I've still got a Win95 install disc around somewhere ) but I was asking my buddy if I should go for the 4 GB version (it was $100 more but the $50 rebate from PayPal kicked in at the higher price, so to me it was $50 for an extra 2 GB and the 64-bit OS). He clued me in on the free Windows 7 upgrade.
    With 4GB of memory you can go back to WinXP if you wanted. My laptop came with Vista but I rolled it back to XP as I hated Vista.

He only uses it for Sims 3 and googling Sims-3 related stuff. Mostly. I use it once in a while, but not enough to get to hate Vista. Some things are just plain stupid -- why is there not an "Up" button in Explorer to go up to the parent folder? Sure, ALT-Up works, and you can always backspace over the current folder name in the name bar and hit return, but that's just stupid to *remove* such basic functionality, no?

Anyhow, the laptop is so, so much nicer than my desktop, but it takes longer to boot up. That's the thing I noticed the most. So I'm looking forward to Windows 7.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:27 am

To answer another post, Dell was selling these laptops with a free upgrade to Windows 7. Only the 4GB/64-bit machines had the free upgrade. The original price was the laptop was $150 higher than the ones with no free upgrade (either 2GB or 3 GB RAM and only the 32-bit OS), but the discount on them was $50 more, and I got another $50 from PayPal if I paid for it using their service (the cutoff for PayPal was $599, the non-upgradable one was $549).

So, basically, for $50 I got the extra RAM, the 64-bit OS and the free upgrade to Windows 7. For my kid, the only thing he will notice is the extra RAM. But next year he starts high school and, maybe, just maybe, will start using it for more than just Sims 3. In the meantime, it can probably author and burn DVDs four times faster than my desktop.

SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5649
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SensFan71 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:15 am

shabbs wrote:Check out the new system I just acquired... which I have called... THE BEAST.

Case: Ultra X-Blaster ATX Black Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side
    Mobo: Asus P6T Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, Triple Channel DDR3 support
    CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Quad-Core Processor - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 8MB L3 Cache
    Memory: 2 x Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz (3 x 2GB)
    HDD: Hitachi 7K1000.B Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA-300
    Video: EVGA GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Support, Dual DVI
    Power: Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan
    Optical: Plextor PX-880SA DVD/CD SATA Super Multi Writer with Lightscribe

Yeah, that's 12GB of memory biatches!

This mother is gonna scream.

I understood everything, and I want it lol, I tend to lean towards AMD when it comes to processors, but this machine is pretty sweet, sims 3 would hum for sure on that pc. It would be more than ready to run Diablo 3 when it comes out, unsure when that will be however.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:36 am

Upon analyzing it a bit further, there are just a few things that system is missing:

1. Blu-ray drive.

2. WHDI (officially this means Wireless Home Digital Interface, but for me the HD *has to be* High Definition).

3. A terabyte drive or RAID.

Of course, if you already have a PS3 then most of that other stuff becomes kind of unnecessary.

Oh, and I almost forgot, a 26" monitor, surround speakers and a sub.

Vandelay
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 769
    Registration date : 2008-11-07

Post by Vandelay on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:39 am

So with that "beast" of a machine, can we assume you'll be streaming all Sens game in HD to us out-of-towners???

SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by SensFan71 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:45 am

wprager wrote:Upon analyzing it a bit further, there are just a few things that system is missing:

1. Blu-ray drive.

2. WHDI (officially this means Wireless Home Digital Interface, but for me the HD *has to be* High Definition).

Of course, if you already have a PS3 then most of that other stuff becomes kind of unnecessary.

you had to nitpick eh? he definitely should look into dual display, may never really have the need for it, but multiple displays is like the pinnacle of geekdom.
    beedub
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1036

Post by beedub on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:48 am

Once my eyes uncrossed, I tried to find something in that description that I understood. Ah, a terabyte. That's a lot of memory
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13620
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:48 am

If someone can find a way to stream games directly from this site (legally) I'll be more than happy to provide a spot on the forum to do so.

- Unknown Author

SensFan71
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by SensFan71 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:52 am

beedub wrote:Once my eyes uncrossed, I tried to find something in that description that I understood. Ah, a terabyte. That's a lot of memory

he could download a lot of movies/games into that terabyte of hard drive space, not that he would do that because that would be illegal.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Post by shabbs on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:52 am

wprager wrote:Upon analyzing it a bit further, there are just a few things that system is missing:

1. Blu-ray drive.

I am not a gamer, nor is this a media server of any type. I have a separate machine for that which is connected to my 60" Sony HDTV and my home network. But, to respond to your points...

- Blu-ray - no need for it now, doubt there will be as I'd get a standalone BR player first
    - WHDI - this not a media server, not needed and I'd go wired if I ever did
    - There is a 1TB SATA drive in there already, with another one going in today from my old system, I'll probably setup a RAID system later with some more drives, but I have 4TB of Network Attached Storage on my home network already... so...
    - I have the flat screen, speakers etc... already... this was just to replace an older box which will be relegated to something else

Dude... do you know who you're dealing with?

PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817

Post by PKC on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:26 am

shabbs wrote:Check out the new system I just acquired... which I have called... THE BEAST.

Mobo: Asus P6T Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, Triple Channel DDR3 support
    Memory: 2 x Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz (3 x 2GB)
    Video: EVGA GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Support, Dual DVI
    Power: Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan

I think the more pertinent question to ask is how much did this cost you?
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:28 am

PKC wrote:

Was able to weasel a deal and get it for around $1200 after all was said and done.
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817

Post by PKC on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:30 am

shabbs wrote:
    PKC wrote:

Was able to weasel a deal and get it for around $1200 after all was said and done.

Sorry to break it to you mate, but you got ripped off. Unless it came with a massive monitor, sweet keyboard/mouse/speaker setup.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:32 am

PKC wrote:
    shabbs wrote:
    PKC wrote:

Sorry to break it to you mate, but you got ripped off. Unless it came with a massive monitor, sweet keyboard/mouse/speaker setup.
    Where can you get that for better? Considering the CPU and memory alone are $800... I'd love to know.

Last edited by shabbs on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    Vandelay
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 769
    Registration date : 2008-11-07

Post by Vandelay on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:34 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:If someone can find a way to stream games directly from this site (legally) I'll be more than happy to provide a spot on the forum to do so.

Are you not sure if the hosting service for this site allows it or are you not sure how to do it? I'm sure the man with "the beast" knows how to set that up. It would generate a lot of traffic to the site for sure...there are no other reliable sites consistently streaming sens games. Of 3 feeds last night, all were down by the third period last night.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:03 am