All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: Bow down before... THE BEAST!!!

Post by PKC on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:30 am

shabbs wrote:
    PKC wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Check out the new system I just acquired... which I have called... THE BEAST.

Case: Ultra X-Blaster ATX Black Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side
    Mobo: Asus P6T Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, Triple Channel DDR3 support
    CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Quad-Core Processor - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 8MB L3 Cache
    Memory: 2 x Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz (3 x 2GB)
    HDD: Hitachi 7K1000.B Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA-300
    Video: EVGA GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Support, Dual DVI
    Power: Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan
    Optical: Plextor PX-880SA DVD/CD SATA Super Multi Writer with Lightscribe

Yeah, that's 12GB of memory biatches!

This mother is gonna scream.

I think the more pertinent question to ask is how much did this cost you?
    Was able to weasel a deal and get it for around $1200 after all was said and done.

Sorry to break it to you mate, but you got ripped off. Unless it came with a massive monitor, sweet keyboard/mouse/speaker setup.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416

Post by shabbs on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:32 am

PKC wrote:
    shabbs wrote:
    PKC wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Check out the new system I just acquired... which I have called... THE BEAST.

Mobo: Asus P6T Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, Triple Channel DDR3 support
    Memory: 2 x Corsair Core i7 Dominator 6GB PC12800 DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz (3 x 2GB)
    Video: EVGA GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Support, Dual DVI
    Power: Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan

Was able to weasel a deal and get it for around $1200 after all was said and done.

Sorry to break it to you mate, but you got ripped off. Unless it came with a massive monitor, sweet keyboard/mouse/speaker setup.
    Where can you get that for better? Considering the CPU and memory alone are $800... I'd love to know.

Last edited by shabbs on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Vandelay
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 769
    Registration date : 2008-11-07

Post by Vandelay on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:34 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:If someone can find a way to stream games directly from this site (legally) I'll be more than happy to provide a spot on the forum to do so.

Are you not sure if the hosting service for this site allows it or are you not sure how to do it? I'm sure the man with "the beast" knows how to set that up. It would generate a lot of traffic to the site for sure...there are no other reliable sites consistently streaming sens games. Of 3 feeds last night, all were down by the third period last night.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by shabbs on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:36 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:If someone can find a way to stream games directly from this site (legally) I'll be more than happy to provide a spot on the forum to do so.
    Legal streaming would probably involve a licensing deal with the NHL...
    Vandelay
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 769
    Registration date : 2008-11-07

Post by Vandelay on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:37 am

shabbs wrote:
    PKC wrote:
    shabbs wrote:
    PKC wrote:

Where can you get that for better? I'd love to know.

haha...ya, I haven't been in Canada for 3 years but I can't imagine prices have dropped that dramatically. I paid 900 for an hp laptop that I'm quite impressed with but comparing it to the system above, my laptop looks fisher price!
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by PKC on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:43 am

shabbs wrote:
    PKC wrote:
    shabbs wrote:
    PKC wrote:

Where can you get that for better? I'd love to know.

Well, I'll do a breakdown of the parts if you like.

The case is $50.
    The motherboard is $240.
    The processor is $260.
    The RAM is $240.
    The HDD is $80.
    The video card is $62.
    The power supply is $50.
    The optical drive is $60.

Adds up to: $1042. Plus you can get a copy of Windows 7 from an MSDNAA account for a $30 signup fee.

I personally wouldn't go with a 12GB setup for RAM. Unless your running extremely high end video-editing or autoCAD, there will never be a time where you are utilizing all that RAM, and at it's current price, and with a new RAM-set coming out soon, the price is only bound to drop. I think 6-8GB with a better case would have been a better move.

Plus, I think the P6T Asus motherboard is a little on the downside in terms of compatibility. I would have picked on up that has compatability for the new line of i9's coming out soon that will also support RAM kits up to 32GB.

And the video card is slightly outdated. This is where I would have taken the money from the less RAM I would have put in and spent more on a more top of the line card like a GTX260/GTS250 or a Radeon HD4870.

But again, it's all subjective. It depends what you need the PC for. And those prices I looked up were just quick checks on tigerdirect.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:50 am

Well, this one should last quite some time for me... and if you throw in another 6GB of memory with your prices, you're over what I paid and before taxes... I think "ripped off" is a bit extreme. But it's all good.

The memory will be needed for the virtualization work I do. And since I'm not a gamer, that video card, at that price is pretty damn good.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48475
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:58 am

beedub wrote:Once my eyes uncrossed, I tried to find something in that description that I understood. Ah, a terabyte. That's a lot of memory

A terabyte of memory? Can even Windows 7 handle that much? The terabyte I mentioned referred to storage. He's got 12 GB (that's like 1/80th of 1 TB).

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:59 am

SensFan71 wrote:
    beedub wrote:Once my eyes uncrossed, I tried to find something in that description that I understood. Ah, a terabyte. That's a lot of memory

he could download a lot of movies/games into that terabyte of hard drive space, not that he would do that because that would be illegal.

Fair Use!!!!!

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:00 am

shabbs wrote:
    I am not a gamer, nor is this a media server of any type. I have a separate machine for that which is connected to my 60" Sony HDTV and my home network. But, to respond to your points...

- Blu-ray - no need for it now, doubt there will be as I'd get a standalone BR player first
    - WHDI - this not a media server, not needed and I'd go wired if I ever did
    - There is a 1TB SATA drive in there already, with another one going in today from my old system, I'll probably setup a RAID system later with some more drives, but I have 4TB of Network Attached Storage on my home network already... so...
    - I have the flat screen, speakers etc... already... this was just to replace an older box which will be relegated to something else

Dude... do you know who you're dealing with?

Why, the Shabbinator, of course!

PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by PKC on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:05 am

shabbs wrote:Well, this one should last quite some time for me... and if you throw in another 6GB of memory with your prices, you're over what I paid and before taxes... I think "ripped off" is a bit extreme. But it's all good.

The memory will be needed for the virtualization work I do. And since I'm not a gamer, that video card, at that price is pretty damn good.

No, I said I would have gone with a setup with 6-8GB of RAM as opposed to the 12 that you have. But, hey man, if that's what you need the PC for, then you got a great deal.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24788
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:06 am

I'm going back to Windows ME.
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by PKC on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:12 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:I'm going back to Windows ME.

What the...
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:20 am

PKC wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Well, this one should last quite some time for me... and if you throw in another 6GB of memory with your prices, you're over what I paid and before taxes... I think "ripped off" is a bit extreme. But it's all good.

No, I said I would have gone with a setup with 6-8GB of RAM as opposed to the 12 that you have. But, hey man, if that's what you need the PC for, then you got a great deal.
    I was curious so I priced one via TigerDirect.ca. Had to use a WD HDD as they didn't have the Hitachi listed... here's the total...

I think I did OK.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:23 am

PKC wrote:

What the...

The last of the tiny OSs.

We had discussed the bloating of AVG, and Avast was agreed to be the best alternative.

Now I want to get rid of Zone Alarm too. Any suggestions there?
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:26 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    PKC wrote:

What the...

We had discussed the bloating of AVG, and Avast was agreed to be the best alternative.

I replaced Zone Alarm with COMODO firewall.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html

It's free as well.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:28 am

shabbs wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    PKC wrote:

What the...

I replaced Zone Alarm with COMODO firewall.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html

It's free as well.

thanks. the one on download.com is bundled with antivirus. This will be very handy.
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by PKC on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:35 am

shabbs wrote:
    PKC wrote:

I was curious so I priced one via TigerDirect.ca. Had to use a WD HDD as they didn't have the Hitachi listed... here's the total...

I think I did OK.

I'm not entirely sure how you got that total. This is essentially what you got without the video card:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4601609&CatId=333

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:46 am