Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

46 Re: Bow down before... THE BEAST!!! on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:26 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SeawaySensFan wrote:
PKC wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I'm going back to Windows ME.

What the...

The last of the tiny OSs.

We had discussed the bloating of AVG, and Avast was agreed to be the best alternative.

Now I want to get rid of Zone Alarm too. Any suggestions there?
I replaced Zone Alarm with COMODO firewall.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html

It's free as well.

47 Re: Bow down before... THE BEAST!!! on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:28 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
PKC wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:I'm going back to Windows ME.

What the...

The last of the tiny OSs.

We had discussed the bloating of AVG, and Avast was agreed to be the best alternative.

Now I want to get rid of Zone Alarm too. Any suggestions there?
I replaced Zone Alarm with COMODO firewall.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html

It's free as well.

thanks. the one on download.com is bundled with antivirus. This will be very handy.

48 Re: Bow down before... THE BEAST!!! on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:35 am

PKC

All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:
PKC wrote:
shabbs wrote:Well, this one should last quite some time for me... and if you throw in another 6GB of memory with your prices, you're over what I paid and before taxes... I think "ripped off" is a bit extreme. But it's all good.

The memory will be needed for the virtualization work I do. And since I'm not a gamer, that video card, at that price is pretty damn good.

No, I said I would have gone with a setup with 6-8GB of RAM as opposed to the 12 that you have. But, hey man, if that's what you need the PC for, then you got a great deal.
I was curious so I priced one via TigerDirect.ca. Had to use a WD HDD as they didn't have the Hitachi listed... here's the total...

I think I did OK.

I'm not entirely sure how you got that total. This is essentially what you got without the video card:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4601609&CatId=333

49 Re: Bow down before... THE BEAST!!! on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:44 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That link is to the US site with US prices... you need to visit TigerDirect.ca to get the pricing in Canadian $$$. There's where I got my total.

Here's the system you linked to in Canadian $$$:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4601609&CatId=4149

$1522.99

50 Re: Bow down before... THE BEAST!!! on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:31 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star
This is just a personnal opinion, but If I were you, I would downgrade that RAM to 8GB, and upgrade the video card to a Radeon HD 4870/90. 8GB will be good for at least 3 years, and you will do anything you want with that video card.

Also, I hope you have a very good cooling system. You might wanna upgrade that, especially with that processor.
My computer is 1 year old now and it cost me 900$ when I bought it, and you basically have more ram and a better processor... my video card is an HD 4850. I'm quite suprised prices are still that high. But I shopped around for like 2 months though(5 or 6 stores I think )

51 Re: Bow down before... THE BEAST!!! on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:42 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The 920 runs pretty cool actually and I won't be over-clocking or anything. The video card is more than I need already.

Wink

52 Re: Bow down before... THE BEAST!!! on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:54 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
shabbs wrote:That link is to the US site with US prices... you need to visit TigerDirect.ca to get the pricing in Canadian $$$. There's where I got my total.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4601609&CatId=4149

$1522.99

Doesn't it piss you off that the Canadian price is 400 bucks over the US?

53 Re: Bow down before... THE BEAST!!! on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:05 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:That link is to the US site with US prices... you need to visit TigerDirect.ca to get the pricing in Canadian $$$. There's where I got my total.

$1522.99

Doesn't it piss you off that the Canadian price is 400 bucks over the US?
It's freaking retarded when our dollar is almost at par. Makes you want to sneak across the border and buy it there.

54 Re: Bow down before... THE BEAST!!! on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:08 pm

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:The 920 runs pretty cool actually and I won't be over-clocking or anything. The video card is more than I need already.

Wink

All depends on what you are doing of course, but all I'm trying to say is you would have a better performance with less ram and a better video card, at a better price. The reason is simple, applications will need more Graphic memory but will never use all that ram.

55 Re: Bow down before... THE BEAST!!! on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:05 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
marakh wrote:
shabbs wrote:The 920 runs pretty cool actually and I won't be over-clocking or anything. The video card is more than I need already.

Wink

All depends on what you are doing of course, but all I'm trying to say is you would have a better performance with less ram and a better video card, at a better price. The reason is simple, applications will need more Graphic memory but will never use all that ram.
10 VMs with each assigned 2GB of memory could chew it up pretty fast.

Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum