Random (weird) stories

    Share

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47611
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by wprager on Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:25 am

    Since Vietnamese does not use the latin alphabet, I'm sure it's ok for him to spell it the way it sounds. No need to add silent letters in latin-alphabet transliteration of a Vietnamese name.

    Of course Fu Da Bic (no idea why they insisted on "Phoo" in the article) is not nearly as newsworthy.

    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24745
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:04 pm

    wprager wrote:Since Vietnamese does not use the latin alphabet, I'm sure it's ok for him to spell it the way it sounds. No need to add silent letters in latin-alphabet transliteration of a Vietnamese name.

    Of course Fu Da Bic (no idea why they insisted on "Phoo" in the article) is not nearly as newsworthy.


    No need to ruin an amusing story with your know-it-all-ery. Boo! Farter

    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16221
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by tim1_2 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:50 pm

    So this guy hiked the Pacific Coast Trail (Mexico to Canada) over 5 months. He took video as he went and compiled the highlights in a 5 minute video. Pretty great.

    https://youtu.be/zIRVCVFSCLw
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24745
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu May 12, 2016 11:34 am

    This is troubling:

    http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/05/12/311-million-vancouver-mansion-owned-by-student
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16221
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by tim1_2 on Thu May 12, 2016 5:27 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:This is troubling:

    http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/05/12/311-million-vancouver-mansion-owned-by-student

    Yeah, their real estate is all f'd up, but the Asian influence is a little overblown.
    avatar
    Hobiesens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 800
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-11-06

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by Hobiesens on Fri May 13, 2016 9:03 am

    tim1_2 wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:This is troubling:

    http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/05/12/311-million-vancouver-mansion-owned-by-student

    Yeah, their real estate is all f'd up, but the Asian influence is a little overblown.

    It's not just a Vancouver real estate issue. The Toronto market is out of control. There was a couple who bought a house on our street 3 years ago and never lived there. They remained in Korea while their 2 sons, 17 and 15 years old lived in the house and went to school here. Now that both boys are off to university, the parents just came back to sale the house.

    My own house has increased over $600k in 3 years, I have no idea how my kids will be able to afford buying a starter home in the future.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47611
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by wprager on Fri May 13, 2016 10:04 am

    Why do they need a starter home when all they have to do is wait for you to die Smile

    I don't know what taxes are like in TO but over here it's the mill rate times the assessment of the property. I'm paying close to $500/month in addition to mortgage. And with property values growing at 7% (historic over last couple decades) it's going to be ridiculous -- you pay off your mortgage but will still be paying a mortgage-sized chunk in taxes.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Hobiesens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 800
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-11-06

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by Hobiesens on Fri May 13, 2016 10:26 am

    wprager wrote:Why do they need a starter home when all they have to do is wait for you to die Smile

    I don't know what taxes are like in TO but over here it's the mill rate times the assessment of the property. I'm paying close to $500/month in addition to mortgage. And with property values growing at 7% (historic over last couple decades) it's going to be ridiculous -- you pay off your mortgage but will still be paying a mortgage-sized chunk in taxes.

    I'm paying just under $500/month in property taxes as well. Unfortunately our property values are growing at much more than 7%. In my neighborhood last year, property value went up 18%! The property tax is actually higher in the burbs as well. The house prices are unbelievable and there are bidding wars on all the properties. I'd love to sale, cash in and move back to Ottawa.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16221
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by tim1_2 on Fri May 13, 2016 12:24 pm

    Hobiesens wrote:
    wprager wrote:Why do they need a starter home when all they have to do is wait for you to die Smile

    I don't know what taxes are like in TO but over here it's the mill rate times the assessment of the property. I'm paying close to $500/month in addition to mortgage. And with property values growing at 7% (historic over last couple decades) it's going to be ridiculous -- you pay off your mortgage but will still be paying a mortgage-sized chunk in taxes.

    I'm paying just under $500/month in property taxes as well. Unfortunately our property values are growing at much more than 7%. In my neighborhood last year, property value went up 18%! The property tax is actually higher in the burbs as well. The house prices are unbelievable and there are bidding wars on all the properties. I'd love to sale, cash in and move back to Ottawa.

    Think about how much cash you'll have if you sell your house. You really should cash in now before mortgage rates start to go upcand house prices start to come down. I realize that selling a house is a big deal, and it obviously depends on how old your kids are, etc, but it would be a very wise decision. Even if you end up renting in the same neighbourhood.

    Here's a good blog on the subject written by a pretty wise fellow. WWW.greaterfool.ca
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20747
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by Ev on Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 pm

    Greater Fool is awful (IMO). Decent to read but shouldn't take all the advice he tries to give. He's been saying the same thing for years, so he will eventually be right.

    avatar
    Hobiesens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 800
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-11-06

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by Hobiesens on Fri May 13, 2016 12:53 pm

    tim1_2 wrote:
    Hobiesens wrote:
    wprager wrote:Why do they need a starter home when all they have to do is wait for you to die Smile

    I don't know what taxes are like in TO but over here it's the mill rate times the assessment of the property. I'm paying close to $500/month in addition to mortgage. And with property values growing at 7% (historic over last couple decades) it's going to be ridiculous -- you pay off your mortgage but will still be paying a mortgage-sized chunk in taxes.

    I'm paying just under $500/month in property taxes as well. Unfortunately our property values are growing at much more than 7%. In my neighborhood last year, property value went up 18%! The property tax is actually higher in the burbs as well. The house prices are unbelievable and there are bidding wars on all the properties. I'd love to sale, cash in and move back to Ottawa.

    Think about how much cash you'll have if you sell your house. You really should cash in now before mortgage rates start to go upcand house prices start to come down. I realize that selling a house is a big deal, and it obviously depends on how old your kids are, etc, but it would be a very wise decision. Even if you end up renting in the same neighbourhood.

    Here's a good blog on the subject written by a pretty wise fellow. WWW.greaterfool.ca

    I have thought about it but I have 2 young kids in elementary school and we would want to stay in the same neighbourhood, (the French school is close by) so there's no point in doing it. The house across the street from us is being rented out at $3600/month.

    If I could only convince my wife to sell here and spend half of that money on a nice place in Ottawa, darn those Taranna girls just don't want to leave. Dammit!
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47611
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by wprager on Fri May 13, 2016 3:35 pm

    Hmm, we are planning (nothing in stone yet) to move closer to my wife's work (Barrhaven) and at the same time we would be downsizing a little. Our oldest is turning 20 and goes to McGill, so he is only here summers and holidays (and he is in a program similar to a co-op so next year he could spend his summer working who-knows-where). We've already told him that when we move, he should not expect that he would have his own room. Maybe a den with a pullout, or a couch in the basement. Our second will probably be at Ottawa-U or Carleton, so he's in a slightly different situation. But we've already resigned ourselves to downsizing. Now I am wondering if it would be more prudent to rent for a while. If real-estate prices come down (as mortgage rates eventually rise) then the equity you would build through your mortgage payments will be offset by the drop in value.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47611
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by wprager on Fri May 13, 2016 3:39 pm

    Yikes, $3600/month?! We have a fairly high mortgage, but that and the taxes is under $2500. Does that rent include utilities? I'm roughly at another $600 for hydro/gas/water, but even with all that, still way under $3600.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20747
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by Ev on Fri May 13, 2016 3:48 pm

    If they rise, mortgage rates will rise very slowly. It would take years for prime to reach even 3.5.

    Ottawa is a different city for real estate than Vancouver or Toronto. I don't expect house prices to ever fall drastically here because of the federal government employee inventory we always have. Even with rising rates, I doubt prices fall. They just won't go up. If you don't think of your house as an investment, then it still makes sense to buy.
    avatar
    Hobiesens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 800
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-11-06

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by Hobiesens on Fri May 13, 2016 3:50 pm

    wprager wrote:Yikes, $3600/month?! We have a fairly high mortgage, but that and the taxes is under $2500. Does that rent include utilities? I'm roughly at another $600 for hydro/gas/water, but even with all that, still way under $3600.

    In the area it's $2900 -$3900/month and I sure hope it includes utilities. Houses are over $1.3 million so I guess the owners need to cover their own costs.

    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20747
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by Ev on Wed May 18, 2016 10:58 pm

    What a Cussing drama queen Wing Dang Doodle

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-conservative-whip-1.3588407
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47611
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by wprager on Thu May 19, 2016 7:55 am

    I've never been a Justin Trudeau fan, but the reaction to this is over the top. The Conservatives were just being dickheads and, who knows, maybe he was having a bad day. He should have sent someone else to do it, perhaps, but he was not wrong to be pissed off at the delay tactics.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16221
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by tim1_2 on Thu May 19, 2016 8:59 am

    This was hilarious and awesome. You get 'em, Justin.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Random (weird) stories

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:50 am