No MiniNova

    Share

    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5005
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: No MiniNova

    Post by hemlock on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:18 am

    Phoenix30 wrote:hmmmm took look at the icefilms but I cant seem to find the download options. I guess I will need to take a closer look when the kid isnt around. I have tried piratebay but found I get bugs from time to time. I really enjoyed mininova as I never got hit with bugs

    Do what I suggested. Get a rapidshare account (or MU, MS) and use one of the many, many forums. No need to seed anything.

    Phoenix30
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1271
    Registration date : 2008-08-15

    Re: No MiniNova

    Post by Phoenix30 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:20 am

    hemlock wrote:
    Phoenix30 wrote:hmmmm took look at the icefilms but I cant seem to find the download options. I guess I will need to take a closer look when the kid isnt around. I have tried piratebay but found I get bugs from time to time. I really enjoyed mininova as I never got hit with bugs

    Do what I suggested. Get a rapidshare account (or MU, MS) and use one of the many, many forums. No need to seed anything.

    I'll check out rapid share but I am not sure if I want to spend money on it unless i get my moneys worth

    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5005
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: No MiniNova

    Post by hemlock on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:21 am

    marakh wrote:Meh, buy the dvds/blu-rays you bunch of hogs

    In the immortal words of Cosmo Kramer:

    "Retail is for suckers"
    avatar
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Age : 30
    Location : Montreal, QC
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: No MiniNova

    Post by LeCaptain on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:54 am

    hemlock wrote:
    marakh wrote:Meh, buy the dvds/blu-rays you bunch of hogs

    In the immortal words of Cosmo Kramer:

    "Retail is for suckers"

    Does retail mean 1080p here?
    avatar
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5005
    Location : Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: No MiniNova

    Post by hemlock on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:00 am

    marakh wrote:
    hemlock wrote:
    marakh wrote:Meh, buy the dvds/blu-rays you bunch of hogs

    In the immortal words of Cosmo Kramer:

    "Retail is for suckers"

    Does retail mean 1080p here?

    What I am trying to say is, why buy what you can obtain for free, often before retail release. This includes 1080p, yes.
    avatar
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Age : 30
    Location : Montreal, QC
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: No MiniNova

    Post by LeCaptain on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:03 am

    hemlock wrote:
    marakh wrote:
    hemlock wrote:
    marakh wrote:Meh, buy the dvds/blu-rays you bunch of hogs

    In the immortal words of Cosmo Kramer:

    "Retail is for suckers"

    Does retail mean 1080p here?

    What I am trying to say is, why buy what you can obtain for free, often before retail release. This includes 1080p, yes.


    Well, actually I just buy when I get a big discount and I like having menus and stuff for my movies. Along with collectors and awesome packaging. In a few years I will have a pretty nice library .

    About the 1080p comment, if you have the whole home theater system, a 1080p movie with Dolby True HD sound should make around 30GB, that's the max download I have every month so I won't go there
    avatar
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5005
    Location : Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

    Re: No MiniNova

    Post by hemlock on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:14 am

    marakh wrote:
    hemlock wrote:
    marakh wrote:
    hemlock wrote:
    marakh wrote:Meh, buy the dvds/blu-rays you bunch of hogs

    In the immortal words of Cosmo Kramer:

    "Retail is for suckers"

    Does retail mean 1080p here?

    What I am trying to say is, why buy what you can obtain for free, often before retail release. This includes 1080p, yes.


    Well, actually I just buy when I get a big discount and I like having menus and stuff for my movies. Along with collectors and awesome packaging. In a few years I will have a pretty nice library .

    About the 1080p comment, if you have the whole home theater system, a 1080p movie with Dolby True HD sound should make around 30GB, that's the max download I have every month so I won't go there

    30 GB a month max? You are getting ripped off. I have over 3x that, and a 15mbit connection no less. I rarely come in under my limit either.

    You can get full dvds, complete with everything quite often as well.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47784
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: No MiniNova

    Post by wprager on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:15 am

    Another vote for eztv.it.

    I prefer DVDs for the reasons already stated. If it's something I'll likely watch many times I like having it, with cover-art, subtitles, menus, special features -- the works. Yes, I know I can d/l a full DVD, print out the covers, get the subtitles and so on, but why bother? It's not a necessity, so if I can't afford $20-25 (or less for older ones) then I won't bother. What I use bittorrent for is when I miss recording a TV show -- which happens too frequently with Rogers.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47784
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: No MiniNova

    Post by wprager on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:18 am

    Actually, now that I'm in this threa, maybe I can rant about something else:

    The latest Potter film in a 3-pack (BR, DVD, digital copy) is $16 at Amazon.com. Over at Amazon.ca I can pay $27 for a two-pack (BR and digital copy -- no DVD). The dollar is about 96 cents. Plus Amazon.com shoppers mostly will not pay a sales tax.

    I guess that's the cost of free medicare. That, and waiting 6 hours in the emergency room.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 11867
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: No MiniNova

    Post by Riprock on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:02 am

    Phoenix30 wrote:hmmmm took look at the icefilms but I cant seem to find the download options. I guess I will need to take a closer look when the kid isnt around. I have tried piratebay but found I get bugs from time to time. I really enjoyed mininova as I never got hit with bugs


    You need the Grease Monkey add-on for Firefox for some reason. With that installed you can then find whatever movie you want, choose a source download location, then either save it or open it (to stream).
    avatar
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 11867
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: No MiniNova

    Post by Riprock on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:03 am

    wprager wrote:Actually, now that I'm in this threa, maybe I can rant about something else:

    The latest Potter film in a 3-pack (BR, DVD, digital copy) is $16 at Amazon.com. Over at Amazon.ca I can pay $27 for a two-pack (BR and digital copy -- no DVD). The dollar is about 96 cents. Plus Amazon.com shoppers mostly will not pay a sales tax.

    I guess that's the cost of free medicare. That, and waiting 6 hours in the emergency room.

    But the shipping is a killer from .com
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47784
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: No MiniNova

    Post by wprager on Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:12 am

    Dash wrote:
    wprager wrote:Actually, now that I'm in this threa, maybe I can rant about something else:

    The latest Potter film in a 3-pack (BR, DVD, digital copy) is $16 at Amazon.com. Over at Amazon.ca I can pay $27 for a two-pack (BR and digital copy -- no DVD). The dollar is about 96 cents. Plus Amazon.com shoppers mostly will not pay a sales tax.

    I guess that's the cost of free medicare. That, and waiting 6 hours in the emergency room.

    But the shipping is a killer from .com

    It's $8 for the first item, so the 3-disc pack will run you $(16+8)/.96 = $25. Th 2-disc pack at Amazon.ca costs more than that, plus I don't believe shipping is free (you have to get to $39?) and you'll be dinged for GST/PST.

    And if you want to save a tiny bit on shipping and make *sure* you pay no GST/PST or brokerage fees, then have it shipped to a friend/relative in the US (run it up so you get free sipping) and have them send the package to you. It'll be less than $8. I'm planning on getting the new Trek movie and the afore-mentioned Potter (maybe even OotP, since I don't have that one yet) sent to my sister in Dallas, who can then re-label the package and send it as "gift" to me.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    Sponsored content

    Re: No MiniNova

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:22 pm