Who are you

Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 660
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-14

Who are you

Post by 111519 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:10 pm

I know its off topic but with all the fighting going on around here lately, I thought maybe if we got to know each other a little bit more maybe we would have alittle more patience with each other.
    If you want to contribute great, if you want to remain totaly anonymous thats fine too.

My names Steve. I lived in Ottawa from 1990 to 1995 while going to Carleton. I recieved my B.A. in Psychology before going to Western in London to get my Masters. I am a fan because I was in Ottawa when the team started up again (I went to three games when they played at the Civic Centre-including the last time Gretzky came to town and was thrown out for fighting) I work for Community Living as a Support Worker. I have caseloads like a Social worker but I deal with individuals with intellectual disabilities or brain injurys, and their families so they can live independantly in the community. (I don't like the word challenged or term wear a helmet) I live near Windsor so am surrounded by Leaf and Wing Fans. I am married with two kids and watch as much hockey as I can. I am force fed the Leafs on tv, but we do come to Ottawa twice a year for games.
    I am truly worried about the team when Alfie retires, and think the only forwards we should keep are alfie, spezza, fisher, neil, michalek and winchester.

So there you go.
    Steve.
    Michael Fisher Portnoy II
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 141
    Registration date : 2009-11-25

Re: Who are you

Post by Michael Fisher Portnoy II on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:32 pm

Hello Steve,

My name is Gene. I (like you) moved to Ottawa to go to Carleton to work on a double major in history and political geography in 1998. It all started with the Sens Student Rush nights for me, and I got swept up in all the playoff excitement. I didnt really support a team growing up, I rather enjoyed individuals. I grew up near Brantford, Ontario, so while everyone was loving either the Leafs or Gretz, I was a Brett hull fan I moved to Windsor in 1995 for school and was lucky enough to enjoy some great playoff runs there, and grew to love Stevie-Y and everything he brought to the table (the same things I see in our glorious captain now). My first year with seasons tickets was the almost glorious Cup run in 2002/03. I still remember how it felt standing there, astonished while the Devils celebrated on our ice. Even after moving to Toronto in 2005, I have kept my season tickets, and the introduction of the Flex-pack has made going to games pretty simple. I love this team. I feel they are my own.

In my normal everyday life, I do customer relations for a large business products company right smack in the middle of Leafs Nation (much like yourself), and deal with regular ball busting. I appreciate talking with all kinds of folks from all kind of places about their sports, teams, and sports-related environments. I actually collect ticket stubs and jerseys, and am thus far up to 68 hockey jerseys, and 242 jerseys over all sports from NHL to international cricket.

Thats me.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54437
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:41 pm

Hello.

My name is Peter the Great. I was born in North York, Toronto, but was moved here when I was a one year old. I was constantly around cousins who watched the Edmonton/Calgary games and the Montreal/Quebec/Toronto games. At first I liked only Montreal, but then I like both Montreal and Toronto. I didn't care what anyone said, they were both cool and Toronto was in the West, why would anyone care?

Then I got wrapped up in being a teen and I didn't bother with hockey for a while. Then came the Sens in 1992. I was into them, but not like this. This took time for me to become what I would say is the 'super-fan'. I live and die by these guys. One of the greatest moments of my life was when Alfie scored the goal that finally took up to the Cup Finals.

I have a wife who posts here as well and a beautiful, young black cat named King and I desperately need to see the Sens win a Cup soon.

Smile
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by Riprock on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:10 pm

My name is Steve, I currently live in Brampton, but grew up and spent my life up until last September in Ottawa (from Munster, to Kanata, to Manotick). I went to AY for HS, then took a year off upon graduating, then went to Algonquin for Broadcasting. 2 years later in 06 I was a College graduate in a field with little to no future. When I moved with my parents to Brampton I did camera for the Battalion and Major through Rogers TV and got to know the team and players well. Fun stuff. Currently re-training thanks to a Gov't funded program to figure out what to do with my self (looking for ideas people, if you have any).

When I was little and collected hockey cards, my favourite player was Patrick Roy, and I suppose my team was Montreal, only for that reason. I wasn't much of a hockey fan though, more of a basketball guy (The Bulls in the Jordan era, and Mark Price of the Cavs). Probably in the early 2000's I started to follow the Sens more around playoff time and it slowly began what is now an obsession. I would say my favorite players on the team are Fisher (hard to not like him as a person and a player) and of course Alfredsson (greatest Senator of all time). My favorite player right now is Rick Nash.

I never played hockey growing up (regretfully) but just started to play last year. In my second year, 4 games played so far, I have 3 goals, with 2 of those coming in my last game on Monday. I'm most proud because I am the worst player, if not only on my team, but probably the entire league/division. But it's nice playing with guys who are not only good players but try to make me better.

No wife, no kids, but I have a kitten named Cypress (6 mos.), whom we adopted from the Toronto Cat Rescue.

That's my life in an essay (the condensed version).
    Rookie
    Rookie

Post by Michael Fisher Portnoy II on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:26 pm

@Dash - I go the the bunker all the time for games... we should head out and watch sometime.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:23 pm

I haven't been to a game in a while or worked a game for Rogers in a while either. They've been harassing me to do some games but they just won't pay, and I am busy with life. If you are planning to go to a game or whatever let me know, and I might be able to make it out to one.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13614

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:42 am

Dash wrote:My name is Steve, I currently live in Brampton, but grew up and spent my life up until last September in Ottawa (from Munster, to Kanata, to Manotick). I went to AY for HS, then took a year off upon graduating, then went to Algonquin for Broadcasting. 2 years later in 06 I was a College graduate in a field with little to no future. When I moved with my parents to Brampton I did camera for the Battalion and Major through Rogers TV and got to know the team and players well. Fun stuff. Currently re-training thanks to a Gov't funded program to figure out what to do with my self (looking for ideas people, if you have any).

When I was little and collected hockey cards, my favourite player was Patrick Roy, and I suppose my team was Montreal, only for that reason. I wasn't much of a hockey fan though, more of a basketball guy (The Bulls in the Jordan era, and Mark Price of the Cavs). Probably in the early 2000's I started to follow the Sens more around playoff time and it slowly began what is now an obsession. I would say my favorite players on the team are Fisher (hard to not like him as a person and a player) and of course Alfredsson (greatest Senator of all time). My favorite player right now is Rick Nash.

I never played hockey growing up (regretfully) but just started to play last year. In my second year, 4 games played so far, I have 3 goals, with 2 of those coming in my last game on Monday. I'm most proud because I am the worst player, if not only on my team, but probably the entire league/division. But it's nice playing with guys who are not only good players but try to make me better.

No wife, no kids, but I have a kitten named Cypress (6 mos.), whom we adopted from the Toronto Cat Rescue.

That's my life in an essay (the condensed version).

Dash I don't know what you think of the trades but that is an area that pays very well and they are desperate for people in just about all types of trades.

- Unknown Author
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:56 am

Hey it's Paul here (aka Apollo or cardinal Jersey rule Sinner for short)

I grew up in North Bay and moved to Osgood in 87 then to Orleans in 89. I married my High School sweet heart and just celebrated our 20 year dating anniversary on December 1st. We have a 15 month old daughter and are moving to a 7 acre property in the spring so we can enjoy country living and be ridiculously close to SBP for game nights.

We've been season ticket holders since the season of the lockout and took advantage of the Student deals for a couple seasons before that.

I have a college diploma in Medical office assisting and Laboratory assisting and I have a BA in Psychology with a Minor in Sociology (Man those two disciplines don't care for each other).

Since graduating from University I've been trying to get into a field relevant to my degree but I can't complain as I have a sweet ride in the Federal Government in Information Management.

I've supported the Sens since they came back to Ottawa but only became an avid fan in the early 2000's. Other passions include 5 pin bowling, drawing and of course spending time with my family.

That's me.

- Unknown Author
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:22 am

I've thought of the trades, they seem to be hiring in some areas, but I hear it can be quite a long time before you can get your foot in the door.

I'm leaning towards University because it likely will open more doors, but if a full time, permanent career opening comes up I would have to consider it. Getting a Federal Gov't job would be ideal. Or even Provincial.

Hopefully this re-training program helps me decide what to do.
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5005
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

Post by hemlock on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 am

Dash wrote:I've thought of the trades, they seem to be hiring in some areas, but I hear it can be quite a long time before you can get your foot in the door.

I'm leaning towards University because it likely will open more doors, but if a full time, permanent career opening comes up I would have to consider it. Getting a Federal Gov't job would be ideal. Or even Provincial.

Hopefully this re-training program helps me decide what to do.

Getting into the trades can be as easy as phoning a company and asking if they are looking for apprentices. Or start as a helper, then get indentured. Trades are in high demand everywhere because alot of journeymen are reaching retirement age and their aren't enough younger journeymen nationwide. I know this because I was an electrician apprentice for awhile (didn't like it, so I left). I literally called a list of electrical companies and found one willing to give me an opportunity. It was quite easy, but you've got to be persistant.

EDIT: You can also obtain a Red Seal certification in several trades, allowing you to work essentially anywhere without having to get certified again in your trade, say in another country.
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 660
    Registration date : 2009-07-14

Post by 111519 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:50 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Hey it's Paul here (aka Apollo or cardinal Jersey rule Sinner for short)

I grew up in North Bay and moved to Osgood in 87 then to Orleans in 89. I married my High School sweet heart and just celebrated our 20 year dating anniversary on December 1st. We have a 15 month old daughter and are moving to a 7 acre property in the spring so we can enjoy country living and be ridiculously close to SBP for game nights.

We've been season ticket holders since the season of the lockout and took advantage of the Student deals for a couple seasons before that.

I have a college diploma in Medical office assisting and Laboratory assisting and I have a BA in Psychology with a Minor in Sociology (Man those two disciplines don't care for each other).

Since graduating from University I've been trying to get into a field relevant to my degree but I can't complain as I have a sweet ride in the Federal Government in Information Management.

I've supported the Sens since they came back to Ottawa but only became an avid fan in the early 2000's. Other passions include 5 pin bowling, drawing and of course spending time with my family.

That's me.

With a BA in Psych you should be able to get a career with Community Living-although it's called Live, Work, Play in the Ottawa area but still linked. As a guy, it is alot easier to get jobs. In my area (windsor) there are probably 300 employees-20 of which are men. It's one of the only fields where being a guy is a definite asset. I find it very rewarding and the pay and benefits are quite good. Also once your hired, there are always families looking for workers to do contract work on the side-personal care if you can handle that, or just social stuff-20-25 bucks an hour is not unusual.
    Anyways, just a thought, good luck.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:16 am

The only way I could see leaving the cozy confines of the Federal Government is if I decided to go back to school for teachers college and got a job teaching kindergarten. That is my dream job. Junior and Senior kindergarten is where I'd want to be, that or teaching young children in an art class.

- Unknown Author
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2270
    Registration date : 2008-10-14

Post by The Silfer Server on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:28 am

Hi, I'm Andrew... (Now you all say, "Hello Andrew!" in unison).

I was born in the Bronx, New York (no joke) so don't mess with me, and you better cross the street if you see me coming. My father was in the Foreign Service, so we moved around a lot, and unfortunately for me, I only moved to Ottawa at age 11. Prior to that, I lived in Cuba and Washington DC. Because of my Cuban stint, and my mother being El Salvadorian, I speak Spanish fluently, and it was, technically, my first language; however, English is my best language. I also speak French, as my parents wanted to keep my education as consistent as possible.

As I said, I moved to Ottawa at age 11, and absolutely adore hockey now. I had been to a couple games prior to moving to Canada, but become a huge fan, and taught myself the sport quickly.

Eric Desjardins was my favourite player growing up, even though Ottawa is my team. I have the greatest respect or Alfie, however, Arvedsson was my favourite Sen, then Chara, Volchie and Vermette. I'm a big fan of the underrated producer. Now I'm a big fan of Foligno, Regin, and Winchester.

I came to Halifax to go to Dal. Now I'm pursuing my CMA, and looking to move back to Ottawa. I miss Ottawa, I miss the Shawarma Palace (although last time i went, i was disappointed. I find Arz in St Laurent has gotten much better!!) I miss going to games, I miss people not having obsessions with Sidney Crosby... I miss a lot about Ottawa.
    Rookie
    Rookie

Post by Michael Fisher Portnoy II on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:41 am

Bass Destruction wrote:Hi, I'm Andrew... (Now you all say, "Hello Andrew!" in unison).

I miss Ottawa, I miss the Shawarma Palace (although last time i went, i was disappointed. I find Arz in St Laurent has gotten much better!!) I miss going to games, I miss people not having obsessions with Sidney Crosby... I miss a lot about Ottawa.

Dude. I feel you. I've been gone from Ottawa for five years now, and I have tried to make my way back there, but with the job market like it is...

Every time I come up to see a game, or to visit old friends, I always find I never want to leave. Breakfast at Summerhays in Nepean, Finding out that Manotick was the only place with power during the blackout, playing baseball onstinky summer nights out in Barrhaven... all crazy things I miss.

Damn, I think i may have to have a drink.

~MFP2
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:44 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:The only way I could see leaving the cozy confines of the Federal Government is if I decided to go back to school for teachers college and got a job teaching kindergarten. That is my dream job. Junior and Senior kindergarten is where I'd want to be, that or teaching young children in an art class.

I'd want to be an auto mechanic or a truck driver.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:05 am