English Grammar Poll - Please answer

Poll

Have you been told to double space after a period?

[ 17 ]
    68% [68%] 
    [ 8 ]
    32% [32%] 

Total Votes: 25

PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: English Grammar Poll - Please answer

Post by PKC on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:43 am

SpezDispenser wrote:
    PKC wrote:
    caissie_1 wrote:I was never told to double spaced... I took some advanced english classes in a french university and they never said anything about it..

I'm a journalist and we've never been told to double space after periods and I'm typing almost all day.

A journalist? Is that you Boo Boo?

Hahaha...no. I'm a far superior writer to him, although that's not really saying much is it?

PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by PKC on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:44 am

rooneypoo wrote:
    PKC wrote:First, double-spacing is not grammatical, it's syntax.
    The use of double-spacing, or more appropriately known as full-stops, was used during the years of typewriting when monospaced typefaces were used.
    The full-stops were used to denote the end of a sentence within a paragraph because the spacing between letters was significantly larger than it is now -- also known as kerning and tracking for those who are familiar with print tradition.
    The Canadian Press style guide wouldn't have anything on this in it's book because newspapers use font justifications in their newsprint and computers have different em spacing than typewriters.
    While some might encourage the use of double-spacing after full stops, it's a pretty outdated technique. Especially with computers adjusting the tracking of letters, there really shouldn't be anymore confusion as to when one sentence ends and the other begins.
    Unless you were typing your work on relics, I'd argue with your facilitators that they are imbeciles and don't know the correct meaning of the word grammar, let alone the purpose of double spacing after sentences.
    Hope this helps.

Co-sign with everything here except that first sentence. This is a style issue, not a syntactical one. Syntax = word order. Regular syntax calls for noun, verb, object -- in that order. Syntax problems emerge when you mix up the order of these things unnecessarily.

Think of Yoda, you should, when the meaning of the word syntax you want to understand. Smile

Then I'm probably looking for a word commonly confused with syntax, aren't I?

LethalLehner
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 783
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by LethalLehner on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:56 am

I was taught to leave 2 spaces after a period and one after a comma. I had never heard of this rule until I took typing in high school. Interesting to note that on my iPhone, if you hit the space bar twice it automatically puts a period at the end of your sentence.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by shabbs on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:15 am

Back in the days of mono-spaced typewriters, it certainly made it easier to read and see where sentences started and ended. I do recall a writing handbook that had a list of proper styles and formatting for creating documents (ie: cover letters, resumes, book reports, footnotes etc...) that my mother had when I was growing up. I do believe that book had the "two spaces after a period" rule in effect. I'll have to see if I can find the book, I'm sure my mom still has it, somewhere.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13620
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:28 am

What's amazing to me is this topic has 5 pages of posts in it.

Looks like there's still a clear majority of people voting that they've heard of this double space rule.

- Unknown Author
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by PKC on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:52 am

ElliottRules wrote:I was taught to leave 2 spaces after a period and one after a comma. I had never heard of this rule until I took typing in high school. Interesting to note that on my iPhone, if you hit the space bar twice it automatically puts a period at the end of your sentence.

That's just the phone's typing shortcut...akin to T9 texting where you start typing a word and it gives you an on-the-fly list of words that might be what you are looking for. It's more a way for people to save time by not having to go into the characters tab on the keyboard of the iPhone.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by Riprock on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:30 am

I've created a monster.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13620
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:55 am

Dash wrote:I've created a monster.

Indeed. Lets see if we can get this puppy to 10 pages! Ahhhhh!

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:02 am