New PS3 Owners Thread

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Re: New PS3 Owners Thread

Post by LeCaptain on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:21 am

It's Settings, Display Settings, Video output, Custom and 1080i.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47801
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:33 am

The "Harmony PS3 Adapter" is an IR "receiver" which outputs bluetooth codes. It's very specific to the PS3. If you own a Harmony remote, you add a PS3 device in your settings, then the Harmony remote will send IR codes to the adapter which then relays them as bluetooth codes to the PS3. The advantage is it lets you continue using a single remote (and unlike those adapters that plugged into the PS3's USB port, it can be used to turn the PS3 on -- the USB ports are not powered up when the PS3 is off, so those adapters could not turn it on). The disadvantage is you still have to point the remote (at the adapter).

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:33 am

marakh wrote:It's Settings, Display Settings, Video output, Custom and 1080i.

Thanks, I'll try that.
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5005
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

Post by hemlock on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:45 pm

wprager wrote:As for Uncharted, like I said, there is a controller bundle out there that gets you Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Is that worth it ($5 more than the price of a separate controller)? Also, just how much shooting goes on in that game? My wife is very anti-violence, but our oldest is 13 now, and everyone (even the youngest) have seen all the Indy movies and LotR. She definitely wouldn't go for it if there's blood, though. Star Wars with all the droids getting slaughtered has been played in this house.

There is lots of shooting. And blood.

EDIT: Forget the kids, buy them for yourself. Yes that bundle is a nice deal. I was kicking myself, as I saw that bundle a few days after buying the first Uncharted brand new.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by LeCaptain on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:32 am

The first uncharted is now a Greatest hits, so 29.99 brand new, probably 25 in some places.
    Yes there's blood, but is there really more than in an IJ movie? I'm not sure.
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by hemlock on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:03 am

marakh wrote:The first uncharted is now a Greatest hits, so 29.99 brand new, probably 25 in some places.

Well, we you are getting hit there is blood on the edges of the screen. That's probably the worst part. There certainly is violence in the game, but it's getting nearly impossible to avoid it these days.
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by hemlock on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:04 am

marakh wrote:The first uncharted is now a Greatest hits, so 29.99 brand new, probably 25 in some places.

Even with the price reduction, the bundle is still a good deal. The controller is practically worth the bundle price.
    caissie_1
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1579
    Registration date : 2009-01-27

Post by caissie_1 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:19 am

Getting my PS3 later on today with MLB 09 The Show... Looking forward to it...
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:03 pm

There is still a difference between watching a movie where someone shoots a bad guy and there is blood (then it's over) and playing a game where *you* are the one doing the shooting, and doing it over and over and over again for hours and hours.

Anyhow, Ratchet and Clank (the one I g

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:03 pm

There is still a difference between watching a movie where someone shoots a bad guy and there is blood (then it's over) and playing a game where *you* are the one doing the shooting, and doing it over and over and over again for hours and hours.

Anyhow, Ratchet and Clank (the one I got in the bundle with the second controller) is not getting a lot of play now, since it's wall-to-wall NHL10 and LBP, but eventually it we will get $5 worth out of it.

Oh, and the Wii Fit Plus that was my wife's present has been mostly used by the kids so far. Yesterday I should have taken a picture -- it was like an aerobics class in our bedroom.

caissie_1
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by caissie_1 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:32 pm

So I got my PS3 and ended up with the 250 GB hard drive... Those updates take a hell of a lot longer then my 360...
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:51 pm

caissie_1 wrote:So I got my PS3 and ended up with the 250 GB hard drive... Those updates take a hell of a lot longer then my 360...

Congratulations.

My buddy has had his for about 2 years and his disk (60 GB?) is not even half full. The difference in price only made sense if I wanted the game that came bundled with it (a Costco bundle). It was not a game I wanted, so it made no sense for me to get it; I just got the 120 GB version.

The disk is user-replaceable, by the way.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:54 pm

By the way, did you get it for gaming or blu ray or both?

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:16 pm

wprager wrote:By the way, did you get it for gaming or blu ray or both?
    It only does everything.
    caissie_1
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by caissie_1 on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:18 pm

wprager wrote:By the way, did you get it for gaming or blu ray or both?

I got it for both.... I wanted the 120GB but it was sold out and i didnt really want to wait...
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:46 pm

Well good for you. I want this blu ray thing to take off so I'll encourage everyone to try it out. But please don't buy any movies over $25. I want to teach those idiots a lesson. Just because something is a little nicer, doesn't mean that I magically will get a raise from my boss to pay for it. I had to spend $2200 for an HDTV and another $400 for the PS3. I've paid my dues. I want older movies for $10 or less regardless of format. I saw The Fifth Element marked down (heh) to $23. It's a 12 year old movie, and the BD release doesn't even have any special features. None at all.

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by LeCaptain on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:04 pm

Speaking of which:

The BIble:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/blu-ray-deals-forrest-gump-9-99-sigs-updated-12-29-09-a-715189/

Plus huge sale on amazon.ca at the moment.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:22 pm

wprager wrote:Well good for you. I want this blu ray thing to take off so I'll encourage everyone to try it out.
    I took the red pill... I'm still bitter... I'll only bite when I'm good and ready.

Tantrum

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:00 pm