You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Burrows goes off on ref, was the ref out to get him?

Burrows goes off on ref, was the ref out to get him?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 6]

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In last night's Canucks-Preds game, Burrows was given a number of penalties that were questionable and seemed to have an impact on the outcome of the game. Following the game, Burrows went off on referee Stephane Auger saying the ref told him he was going to get him for making him look bad in another game.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/01/12/burrows-referee-0/

Burrows will no doubt get fined and receive some sort of disciplinary action for his words... but is this the beginning of a much bigger issue that the NHL needs to look at? We've all felt certain refs were biased against certain teams and wonder if they make calls to control the game... but this is the first I've heard where a player says the ref told him that he would get him.

This could get ugly.

Last edited by shabbs on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Burrows should have kept his mouth shut and brought it to the coach. Now he looks like a whiner. It also doesn't help that he has a bit of a reputation as a dirty player.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree, he didn't help himself at all with all that.

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie
If you look at the highlights - it's hard to say he's a whiner. The majority of the comments on TSN are backing Burrows (even Flames fans').

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Hayden wrote:If you look at the highlights - it's hard to say he's a whiner. The majority of the comments on TSN are backing Burrows (even Flames fans').

There's horrendous calls all the time. Him accusing Auger of premeditation and going on and on and on about it doesn't help his case regardless of the high quality posters over in the comment section at TSN.ca.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
There's tape on the warm up says The Name Dropper. This is going to be amazing to see the outcome of this. I'd be pissed off too if I was Burrows, there goes the game for the Canucks because of two blatantly blown calls by Auger.

I'm curious what's to come of this, but for once someone spoke out about the refs being tools in this league. And that's the biggest problem of them all.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well, if they have it all on tape... look out. Too bad Burrows wasn't mic'd up for the game. Heh heh.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
shabbs wrote:Well, if they have it all on tape... look out. Too bad Burrows wasn't mic'd up for the game. Heh heh.

I want to hear what Sedin said to Auger, where Auger was nodding and waving him off. Was Sedin accusing him? I think so personally.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
hmm any history of Auger being one of the referees in the many 'zero-penalties against ottawa's opposition' games?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Michallica wrote:hmm any history of Auger being one of the referees in the many 'zero-penalties against ottawa's opposition' games?
HA HA!

Hmmm....

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Hayden wrote:If you look at the highlights - it's hard to say he's a whiner. The majority of the comments on TSN are backing Burrows (even Flames fans').

There's horrendous calls all the time. Him accusing Auger of premeditation and going on and on and on about it doesn't help his case regardless of the high quality posters over in the comment section at TSN.ca.

I agree with Burrows. It is not horrendous calls that are in questions here. When you have legitimate reasons (which is the case here), you HAVE to tell it. It's not whining at all, it's trying to tell the league about stuff that should not happen and can be changed. You cannot let that kind of situation repeat in the future, so you have to tell it.
I think shutting up would have been gutless and, in fact, would haven't help at all.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
marakh wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I agree with Burrows. It is not horrendous calls that are in questions here. When you have legitimate reasons (which is the case here), you HAVE to tell it. It's not whining at all, it's trying to tell the league about stuff that should not happen and can be changed. You cannot let that kind of situation repeat in the future, so you have to tell it.
I think shutting up would have been gutless and, in fact, would haven't help at all.

My point is saying it, like he did, in the media, just makes him look like a whiner.

How are these legitimate reasons? What are you basing that on?

Burrows' reputation coupled with how he went about it makes him look like a whiner.

Absolutely, if you feel it's a legitimate complaint, let it be known. Just don't do it the way he did. Like I said earlier tell the coach and let him go up the chain.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why would Burrows go and make those HUGE accusations, and this really is a very very very big accusation, and risk it all if it did not happen? He's basically saying the ref compromised the integrity of THE GAME for a personal vendetta against him and told him about it before the game.

This is not just complaining about bad calls.. this is a direct accusation of a ref and his actions.

If the ref did indeed do that, he's stupid and it will be a career ending move.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
marakh wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

My point is saying it, like he did, in the media, just makes him look like a whiner.

Burrows' reputation coupled with how he went about it makes him look like a whiner.

Absolutely, if you feel it's a legitimate complaint, let it be known. Just don't do it the way he did. Like I said earlier tell the coach and let him go up the chain.

It seems to me you have not seen the calls. I suggest you watch the replay of the game if you didn't already, on tsn.ca. THat's what I'm basing it on. THen listen to the interview on BUrrows.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305786

The 2 penalties on Burrows are the most ridiculous calls you've ever seen in a hockey game.

Luongo also said it's the worst officiating he has seen in his entire career. Does that not make you cringe a little?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
marakh wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
marakh wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

It seems to me you have not seen the calls. I suggest you watch the replay of the game if you didn't already, on tsn.ca. THat's what I'm basing it on. THen listen to the interview on BUrrows.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305786

The 2 penalties on Burrows are the most ridiculous calls you've ever seen in a hockey game.

Luongo also said it's the worst officiating he has seen in his entire career. Does that not make you cringe a little?

Still not enough there for me to think there's anything legitimate about it. If you have Auger on tape saying he's going to get him back then I see your point.

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 6]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next