You are not connected. Please login or register

 » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Burrows goes off on ref, was the ref out to get him?

Burrows goes off on ref, was the ref out to get him?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

PTFlea


Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Am I wrong to think that Auger is fondling him a little?

shabbs


Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SpezDispenser wrote:Am I wrong to think that Auger is fondling him a little?
Quite a bit of contact there...

Wink

Hoags


All-Star
All-Star
I'm a bit surprised people are so quick to dismiss Burrows' allegations. I agree with posters in this thread that Burrows' allegations are too detailed and explicit to make me think he made it up (especially on an exercise bike).

Bob McKenzie wrote a great column on this, namely this sort of thing has been going on for a long time but generally speaking it's not so blatant nor do the referees decisions decide the game's outcome.

My take:

- Burrows prolly embelished the hit that made Auger look bad. Lots of players do this and Auger held a grudge since, not unheard of
- Auger made the mistake of openly telling Burrows that he will get him back that game
- Auger called Burrows on those penalties as well Henrik Sedin in retribution for their past actions as well as Henrik's complaints these calls most likely cost the 'Nucks 2 points.
- Burrows snapped and openly called the ref out after they lost and he knew 100% the referee had a score to settle.

I think Auger went too far in getting back at Burrows, should've called him on 1 BS call and left it at that, this is what I think usually happens and most of the time no one can prove anything. Hockey fans pretty expect much the occasional BS penalty call and I'll bet some of these are referees settling an old score.

Let's not forget our own Sens had numerous missed PP opportunities due to the refs getting the team back for being whiners. Clouston had to tell the team to show up. Do people really think the refs were giving us a fair shake ?



Last edited by Hoags on Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No doubt this kind of stuff happens a lot (minus the "hey I'm gonna get you" from the ref at the start of the game)... refs are just as human as the players. No doubt emotions sometimes get the better of them.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Burrows has a hearing tonight at 9pm ET:

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/7689368453

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Oddly enough, Auger was the official who assessed Shane Doan a 10-minute misconduct that led to a major brouhaha over whether player uttered a cultural slur.

From: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/?id=305809

Interesting.

I'm not surprised in the least.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Yeah, there's no way to tell what was said there. But it is odd...

Someone who can read lips will definitely be able to get at least a few words there.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
He will have to find out first if it is in French or English Burrows goes off on ref, was the ref out to get him? - Page 4 270956

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
marakh wrote:He will have to find out first if it is in French or English Burrows goes off on ref, was the ref out to get him? - Page 4 270956

Well at least Burrows' first name is Alexandre and not Alexander. That should keep the Bloc at bay.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Burrows got a $2500 fine, no suspension:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305871

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
shabbs wrote:Burrows got a $2500 fine, no suspension:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305871

It'll be Interesting to see if this leads to anything else.


_________________
"A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
shabbs wrote:Burrows got a $2500 fine, no suspension:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305871

It'll be Interesting to see if this leads to anything else.
I think this will go deep internal from here on in. Going to be very hard to get any real info.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
Yeah, there's no way to tell what was said there. But it is odd...

Someone who can read lips will definitely be able to get at least a few words there.

You can also read their body language. Auger's didn't really appear threatening, and Burrows didn't look like he was being threatened. If you're being threatened, are you going to be so non-chalant about it? There is an old Chinese proverb that says "Even a rabbit when cornered shows its teeth."

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran
shabbs wrote:No doubt this kind of stuff happens a lot (minus the "hey I'm gonna get you" from the ref at the start of the game)... refs are just as human as the players. No doubt emotions sometimes get the better of them.

It's their job to be fair. If Burrows embarrassed him in the same game, then maybe i could see his emotions not being in control, but he had days to cool down. I'll give the accused the benefit of the doubt in this case. 1 bad call and 2 borderline calls isn't enough for me blame the ref in this case.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran
Hoags wrote:I'm a bit surprised people are so quick to dismiss Burrows' allegations. I agree with posters in this thread that Burrows' allegations are too detailed and explicit to make me think he made it up (especially on an exercise bike).

Bob McKenzie wrote a great column on this, namely this sort of thing has been going on for a long time but generally speaking it's not so blatant nor do the referees decisions decide the game's outcome.

My take:

- Burrows prolly embelished the hit that made Auger look bad. Lots of players do this and Auger held a grudge since, not unheard of
- Auger made the mistake of openly telling Burrows that he will get him back that game
- Auger called Burrows on those penalties as well Henrik Sedin in retribution for their past actions as well as Henrik's complaints these calls most likely cost the 'Nucks 2 points.
- Burrows snapped and openly called the ref out after they lost and he knew 100% the referee had a score to settle.

I think Auger went too far in getting back at Burrows, should've called him on 1 BS call and left it at that, this is what I think usually happens and most of the time no one can prove anything. Hockey fans pretty expect much the occasional BS penalty call and I'll bet some of these are referees settling an old score.

Let's not forget our own Sens had numerous missed PP opportunities due to the refs getting the team back for being whiners. Clouston had to tell the team to show up. Do people really think the refs were giving us a fair shake ?

Good post, but i disagree tremendously. Our judicial system is based on people being innocent until proven guilty, and people are ready to convict Auger based on a 6 second conversation, a bad call, and a couple borderline calls.

It seems like a lot of dominos had to fall ( Burrows goes off on ref, was the ref out to get him? - Page 4 489887 ) in order for this explanation to be correct. Ockham's razor states that everything being equal, the simplest solution is usually the right one, or something like that (probably shouldn't be quoting things I'm not sure about), and the simplest solution is definitely just that there were a couple weak calls.

But the calls weren't even that weak. The interference call, i agree, was a weak one. Although it wasn't for goaltender interference as some have speculated, it's for interference for going through Joel Ward while heading to the net. But the Diving call is hard to refute. If you look at it, you can see Burrows picks up Hamhuis' stick, holds it between his arm and his torso, and then falls twice. That is diving. The only argument against it is that it happens, often enough, but I for one, would rather see it taken out of the game. Then there was the Sedin trip, where his stick was clearly between Ward's legs.

I just don't think it's fair that Auger is being condemned based on speculation and in some cases (not on GMHockey, talking about tsn and other weaker boards) mob mentality.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Oh there's GMHockey members on here that believe Burrows without seeing the whole story.

I agree with you Bass. There's been nothing presented to me thus far that would have me say that Auger definitely was out to settle a score.


_________________
"A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I'm thinking Auger probably said something like "I don't want to see you pull the same Dung you did in the last game". Nothing wrong with that, in my view.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
What kind of a moron is Craig Conroy. Calls Burrows a tattle-tale? Really? And then he admits he hasn't even seen the calls. Shut up man, what the heck are you talking for?

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Similar topics

-

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum