Mystery Object to Whizz by Earth Tomorrow

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47784
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Mystery Object to Whizz by Earth Tomorrow

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:53 am

But it's not just the Centrum. For example, why is it that the little bit of Campeau that runs from Canadian Tire to Terry Fox doesn't line up with the part that continues after? It's like 80' for crying out loud!

Or they add a little indentation to Campeau just after the entrance to the Centrum, so that the bus can pull over to its stop and not affect traffic. Why not start this "indentation" a little bit sooner and make that an exit lane from Campeau into the Centrum? Even better, continue this "indentation" the remaining couple of hundred feet to Castlefrank/Kanara avenue, so people have an exit lane to turn right and not get stuck behind all those continuing down Campeau? The way they have it now, it's an articicially created pinch-point and creates horrible traffic patterns.

And why is Campeau a one-lane road in the first place? It's 2 lanes for about 100' around the gas station but 1 lane everywhere before and after. Yeah, that's going to help.

And Kanata Avenue itself is wide enough for two lanes each way through Kanata Lakes part. But when people started taking advantage of that fact to go two-abreast at the stop signs (right "lane" continuing straight, left lane turning) they came back and painted diagonal lines across the middle portion of the road to force people to *not* take advantage of the wide road. Why did they do it? Being able to go two-lanes at least for the area immediately around the stop signs saved people time, money (gas) and helped the environment.

I can go on and on.

OC Transpo. Where did they get the idea that bus stops at opposite sides of the street must be mis-aligned? Probably because during that one time, every 35 years, that there is actually a bus stopped at each stop, and if they were exactly opposite each other no-body could pass them. Yeah, great, but maybe nobody *should* be passing when two busses are letting off passengers on both sides of the street. Even *I* am never in that much of a hurry. The problem with the existing setup, though, is in the winter, I get off at my stop and have to cross the road right then and there, because there are snow banks everywhere else (the bus stop is cleared out). Then I have to walk about 40 paces to the place where the stop is on the other side so I can get back to the sidewalk. At this point in the winter there is no such thing as a bike lane and I'm pretty much walking close to the middle of the road. A few times I almost had to jump into the snowbank because, obviously, some people are in such a hurry to get to work that they are can't be bothered to pay attention to such a small thing as a pedestrian.

There's so, so much more.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13608
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:58 am

dennycrane wrote:The Centrum has the best variety of stores in the city, but I won't go there because of the layout. And I live 5 minutes away.

I've thought about resorting to my GPS just to find my way out of Centrum. J/K or am I? Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:59 am

I once spent a nightmarish time in an insane asylum Kanata Centrum but... it's all over now. mwhahhahahahahahaha
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47784
    Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:04 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    dennycrane wrote:The Centrum has the best variety of stores in the city, but I won't go there because of the layout. And I live 5 minutes away.

I've thought about resorting to my GPS just to find my way out of Centrum. J/K or am I? Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

No, you're not. And they keep adding stores and closing roads. There used to be an easy way to get into EB Games. last time I had to drive around the block a couple of times because the "easy" way is now closed.

Just once I'd like to see a parking lot where the entrance into it is at the back, away from all the people crossing from the parking lot to get into the store. Right now you have the road to get in and out of the parking lot interrupted by the constant flow of people crossing it to get in or out of the store.

It's a tiny little change in design, but it certainly would make the parking lot a lot easier to get in and out. The only problem I see is that it would not be as simple to look for the open spot nearest the store. So you might spend a few extra seconds walking, as opposed to waiting a few extra seconds to cross, plus the few extra minutes to get in and out of the lot.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:22 am

wprager wrote:You obviously haven't seen the Centrum (or Kanata, in general) first-hand. It's a marvel of urban mis-planning.
    I did a traffic flow analysis of Kanata back in the late 90's. Trust me, I know.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am

shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:You obviously haven't seen the Centrum (or Kanata, in general) first-hand. It's a marvel of urban mis-planning.
    I did a traffic flow analysis of Kanata back in the late 90's. Trust me, I know.

Cool. Can you explain to me why people park on the Queensway during rush hour?

- Unknown Author
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:25 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    shabbs wrote:

Heh heh. Don't talk to me about rush hour... I get to enjoy the 400-series of highways in Toronto.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:36 am

shabbs wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    shabbs wrote:

Heh heh. Don't talk to me about rush hour... I get to enjoy the 400-series of highways in Toronto.

That didn't answer my question but I hear ya. My wife and I will never I repeat never move to the GTA based solely on traffic. Not just rush hour either. When we do travel to St. Catharines we take the 407 as soon as we're able to. We were travelling there late one night and at about 11:00 PM yes PM we were in bumper to bumper traffic for over an hour!!! NEVER will we move there. Even if we weren't Sens fans. N E V E R!!!

- Unknown Author
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:37 am

Rush hour is 24/7 here.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:41 am

shabbs wrote:Rush hour is 24/7 here.

So it's not really an hour then is it? Wink

- Unknown Author

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:42 am

SensGirl11 wrote:WASHINGTON (AP) A mystery object from space is about to whizz close by Earth on Wednesday. It wont hit our planet, but scientists are stumped by what exactly it is.

Astronomers say it may be space junk or it could be a tiny asteroid, too small to cause damage even if it hit. Its 33 to 50 feet wide at most.

NASA says that on Wednesday at 7:47 a.m. EST, it will streak by, missing Earth by about 80,000 miles. In the western United States it may be bright enough to be seen with a good amateur telescope.

Crazy times!

Is it Cheechoo's scoring ability?
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:43 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Rush hour is 24/7 here.

So it's not really an hour then is it? Wink
    Not really.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:43 am

DirtyDave wrote:
    SensGirl11 wrote:WASHINGTON (AP) A mystery object from space is about to whizz close by Earth on Wednesday. It wont hit our planet, but scientists are stumped by what exactly it is.

Astronomers say it may be space junk or it could be a tiny asteroid, too small to cause damage even if it hit. Its 33 to 50 feet wide at most.

NASA says that on Wednesday at 7:47 a.m. EST, it will streak by, missing Earth by about 80,000 miles. In the western United States it may be bright enough to be seen with a good amateur telescope.

Crazy times!

No, it's a Mike Fisher shot from the point..

Hey-O!
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am

No it's the Sens playoff hopes.

- Unknown Author
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728

Post by TheAvatar on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:41 am

You guys are brutal; PillowFight
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:01 am

TheAvatar wrote:You guys are brutal; PillowFight

It's a bird, it's a plane. No, it's Superman?

- Unknown Author
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54296

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:02 am

DirtyDave wrote:

Someone said it was Cheechoo and Leclaire's careers. More to come...
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:05 am

SpezDispenser wrote:
    DirtyDave wrote:

Someone said it was Cheechoo and Leclaire's careers. More to come...

Check the top 10 best guesses thread for further analysis. Smile

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:13 am