Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13608
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Improving the in game experience

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:16 pm

Devo wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:You have really great ideas, Devo. But in this market I'm afraid winning is what makes sellouts.

Yeah..I know...

I guess as much as trying to get the casual fan out I'd like to see the experience improve to encourage me to go to the games again.

I've already pitched this idea for improving season tickets.

buy a full season package and the Senators (via the NHL) will give you Centre Ice free of charge so you can watch all of the away games. Seeing as you would already have all the home games, because you bought them all, then you get all the away games for your team as well.

I love that Idea. This should be an NHL wide program. It might even get people to watch other teams outside of their own. I would think they'd probably go with an Online freebie if at all and it would only be for a few months or maybe a season.

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:17 pm

New stadium in a central location (le breton, jetform park, etc). No one goes to games because of the distance and the parking. Public transpo sucks going to and from the games. If the stadium were downtown around bars, restaurants, and other means of entertainment, and was more accessible by public transit, less people would drive and would drink at games leading to a rowdier/louder crowd. In ottawa the night ends after the hockey game because it is so far away. Having a more central/accessible location with nightlife around it is the solution to this problem.

Devo
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 519
    Registration date : 2009-10-16

Post by Devo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:22 pm

You mean kind of like landsdowne park...that location really attracted the football fans in this city. Putting it at Jetform park, le breton flats does nothing to make the stadium more accessible. Getting into and out of a stadium that is in the middle of the down town core without a good transit system (which we don't have in this city) is a nightmare.
    garblar
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 239
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-04-20

Post by garblar on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:24 pm

i usually take the public transportation to/from the games. its actually pretty good. you dont have to wait for 30 minutes in the parking lot after the games, plus one of them goes right downtown afterwards to keep the party going

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Devo wrote:You mean kind of like landsdowne park...that location really attracted the football fans in this city. Putting it at Jetform park, le breton flats does nothing to make the stadium more accessible. Getting into and out of a stadium that is in the middle of the down town core without a good transit system (which we don't have in this city) is a nightmare.
    Try taking transit back to Kanata/Orleans/Manotick from downtown on a Tuesday night around 10. Good luck.

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:28 pm

RobbyJ wrote:
    Devo wrote:You mean kind of like landsdowne park...that location really attracted the football fans in this city. Putting it at Jetform park, le breton flats does nothing to make the stadium more accessible. Getting into and out of a stadium that is in the middle of the down town core without a good transit system (which we don't have in this city) is a nightmare.
    Try taking transit back to Kanata/Orleans/Manotick from downtown on a Tuesday night around 10. Good luck.

Agreed. No one in any metropoliotan city drives to hockey games. look at toronto, new york, chicago, etc. Everyone takes public transit. For teams like Florida they encourage driving because no one goes to the games. Did you see Atlanta's crowd last night. it was non-existant!

Devo
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Favorite Team : New Jersey

Post by Devo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Kovalfie wrote:
    RobbyJ wrote:

Agreed. No one in any metropoliotan city drives to hockey games. look at toronto, new york, chicago, etc. Everyone takes public transit. For teams like Florida they encourage driving because no one goes to the games. Did you see Atlanta's crowd last night. it was non-existant!

I've actually been to that staduim...it's literally down town and there is no public transit that come close. The police stop all traffic leading into and out of the stadium and make just about every street one way on the way in, and one way on the way out.

As for Chicago, New York, Toronto, Montreal they all have excellent transit systems.

I'm looking for ideas around improving the game in the building, I understand all the issues around arena location, but to be honest it's something that isn't going to change in the next 10-20 years.
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by PKC on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:53 pm

You want a better in-house experience?

Go watch an NBA game. Holy Christ they have that Dung figured out to a point.

Best sporting experience I've ever been to.

Devo
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Devo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:05 pm

seeing as all my ideas revolve around wireless streaming, what about also streaming highlights of the other games...you know..goals, key plays...
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by PKC on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:15 pm

Devo wrote:seeing as all my ideas revolve around wireless streaming, what about also streaming highlights of the other games...you know..goals, key plays...

The associated costs are supremely high. How can you trust equipment like that when you allow food and beverage into the seating areas?

Devo
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Devo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:26 pm

PKC wrote:
    Devo wrote:seeing as all my ideas revolve around wireless streaming, what about also streaming highlights of the other games...you know..goals, key plays...

The associated costs are supremely high. How can you trust equipment like that when you allow food and beverage into the seating areas?

Really if it's about streaming media content to wireless devices, the team wouldn't provide the equipment. You'd simply allow people to bring their own blackberry, DSI, PSP into the game to access the content the team is streaming..

the real cost is developing a wireless network and back end server that can stream the media whether it be stats, or video to the potential 22000 people.

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:46 pm

The whole thing about improving game attendance is improving the entertainment value at the venue period. Yes, you can improve the game play, that is a given but out of the control of the business side of things.

Here are my brain storms also incorporating other's idea's...

So you could mike the players and broadcast inside the venue only
    WiFi access for free so people could use PDA's etc...
    Have an internal site which was accessable to only internally connected devices broadcast updates on injuries goal information, game highlights, contests etc..

That is some nerd stuff, but also you could...

Have bands play in specific venues prior to games so that the atmosphere picks up
    Have more things going on in the hallways prior to the game like buskers (potentially)
    Improve contests so that there are more player interactive. Like game worn jersey to lucky seat number. Player giving it to the winner directly after the game
    More and better Spartacat skits
    No more stupid 'Spartan Steve' things that embarrassed all of us who were there.
    Get players to give those post game sticks directly to specific kid rather than some random stranger who happens to be close.
    Autograph spot for gameday autographs for kids, open up a spot near the ice for kids 10 and under...

Devo
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Devo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 pm

Nice...

see this is the sort of out of the box thinking I'm looking for...

We'll get some of this stuff put into action next year...you watch.

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 pm

Devo wrote:
    Kovalfie wrote:
    RobbyJ wrote:

I've actually been to that staduim...it's literally down town and there is no public transit that come close. The police stop all traffic leading into and out of the stadium and make just about every street one way on the way in, and one way on the way out.

As for Chicago, New York, Toronto, Montreal they all have excellent transit systems.

I'm looking for ideas around improving the game in the building, I understand all the issues around arena location, but to be honest it's something that isn't going to change in the next 10-20 years.

Then yes, NBA games should be a model of comparison. I mean, I went to a Raptors game a few weeks ago. Loved the music, the replays, crowd was into it. I don't think technology is the issue at the games, I think it's more about the atmosphere. Same with football games. It's the atmosphere. Sens brass needs to find a way to get Sens fans off their blackberries and into the game. Maybe better intermission entertainment?
    Hayden
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 266
    Registration date : 2008-08-25

Post by Hayden on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:07 pm

- have the 50/50 amount shown on a digital scoreboard
    - perhaps have traffic updates after the game ends (if you leave now you can expect a x minute delay, etc)
    - more commentary in the intermissions (stories from the game, around the league, player/injury updates, etc)
    - work with teams down south (in the winter) to do home and home trips (go watch the sens in Phoenix - 2 nights, game, golf for x) and then show the experiences people had (get people more excited about the team
    - cheaper beer
    - more options on getting to and from the game (I watch 3 full OC buses go by my stop before I get on one of the last ones available - missing the warmup)
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54295
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Yeah an intermission report featuring plays of the week in the NHL, news from around the league, scores, hi-lights would be awesome. Instead of staring into space, people would be engaged.

Devo
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by Devo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Hayden wrote:- have the 50/50 amount shown on a digital scoreboard
    - perhaps have traffic updates after the game ends (if you leave now you can expect a x minute delay, etc)
    - more commentary in the intermissions (stories from the game, around the league, player/injury updates, etc)
    - work with teams down south (in the winter) to do home and home trips (go watch the sens in Phoenix - 2 nights, game, golf for x) and then show the experiences people had (get people more excited about the team
    - cheaper beer
    - more options on getting to and from the game (I watch 3 full OC buses go by my stop before I get on one of the last ones available - missing the warmup)

Just to add to the buses...what about having a specific on ramp to the 417 so after the game they can just get right on the Queesway and onto the bus lanes without having to sit in traffic?

of course the on ramps would be buses only.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:58 pm

An interesting thing I saw was when I went on a saturday night (against the wild) they actually had coach's corner playing during the intermission which I thought was kinda neat. I've been to a few saturday night games this season and never saw that before. I wonder if its something new they've recently implemented.

EDIT: for Diddle's sake someone tell SBP ppl to play better music! And here's a simple idea: give a prize to the loudest section of the night!!!! That'll get many ppl roaring! They already 'randomly' award sections gift certificates

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:24 pm