You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous)

HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:03 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
As you may have read, my 11-year-old is in his first year of organized hockey. Peewee C -- for those of you who know, that's the house league of house leagues. But he's learning, having fun, and the 6AM games/practices have been ver, very infrequent.

I figured there's a few of us (hockey dads/moms) on this board, so this is just a place to discuss the ins and outs of minor league hockey, commiserate on the losses, celebrate those secondary assists, ask questions about specific rules, complain about those pimply-faced 15-year-old refs you see chatting it up with the othere team's star player who just happens to be the older brother, and so on.

I'll start. Today we had a game against a team that lit us up for a 6-0 win last time we faced them. It was a very close game until mid-way through the third. It went from 2-1 to 5-1 in the space of about 3 minutes. We ended up putting in 2 late goals to make it 5-3. Fun game, too bad about the 3 quick goals, but two of them were questionable.

On their 4th goal, a high stick was missed by the ref. One of our players got it smack-dab in the mask. I realize that with a full face shield there's no injury, but that kind of reckless stick action needs to be discouraged (there's still the neck, ears and chin that must be protected. As it happens, less than a half-minute later they scored the back-breaking 4th goal. We could have been on a PP instead and, who knows, maybe make it a 3-2 game.

Next goal happened just after a delayed off-side. While the linesman's arm was still up (they hadn't cleared the zone) the other team shot the puck in and the goalie had to play it. I was too far away to see if it was a shot on goal, but I think it was. It definitely went through the crease, the goalie put the paddle down and deflected it into the corner.

I could have sworn that a shot on goal during a delayed off-side triggers the offside. Back in the day (before the NHL removed the touch-up offside rule) it used to be that the offside was called immediately if the puck went behind the goal line. I'm pretty sure that a shot on goal would also, immediately trigger the offside. The "puck behind the goal line" rule is no longer in place, but I believe they'll still call the offside if there is a shot on goal.

Anyhow, I checked with the ref after the game (after he stopped chatting it up with the other team's hot-dogging star player; no, this was not the 15-year-old ref but the older one). He could not tell me the rule immediately, but (and I've got to commend him on this) came into the dressing room a few minutes later and explained that, apparently, there is a rule which states that a shot on goal *during a delayed offside* is permissible, and play simply carries on just like it would if the other team simply shoots it in; in other words, the linesman's arm remains up, the other team is still expected to clear the zone, etc.

So, I asked the ref, it would be better for the goalie to let the puck go in rather than try to stop it, because a goal on a delayed offside certainly does not count. He agreed that the goal does not count, but also said that (pretty much a direct quote) "A younger referee may not know the rule and you'd be running the risk of him counting the goal as good."

This just sounds wrong.

2HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
My kid scored his first goal today. It was the tying goal in a game they trailed 2-0 at one point. I was going to joke about getting the puck, but when I got to the dressing room I saw the coach handing him the puck, and then giving me some white tape.

It was a scramble in front that nobody could clear until he pushed it across the line, but I'm sure in a couple weeks it will be top-corner, on a semi-breakaway, with a defenseman hooking him from behind.

3HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:42 pm

caissie_1

caissie_1
Veteran
Veteran
Congrats to your kid Prags...

4HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:49 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
caissie_1 wrote:Congrats to your kid Prags...

Thank you.

5HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:39 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
My kid's team just won their tournament (B-side). They lost their first game 4-2 (which relegated them to the B side) and then didn't give up another goal, going 3-0 the rest of the way, winning each game 1-0. The second game was scoreless through regulation, two OT periods and four shootout rounds -- our best forward scored in the fourth round (not sure why he wasn't our *first* shooter).

Anyhow, congrats to the Kanata peewee-C Spartans and their two goalies.

6HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:28 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Reffing in minor hockey can be brutal at times. One thing I've noticed when I've been the official scorekeeper is that the PIMs for each side balance out better than 90 percent of the time.

The thing that may bother you the most is non-goals being called goals and vice versa! lol

Enjoy the ride, my son started late too, so he has about 2 years left to go. I'll miss it, it really makes the winters fly by.

7HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:12 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
My kid got the winning goal in their semi finals. The team (Kanata peewee C) finished 3rd of 4 and are now going to the final! It was a back-hand, top-corner on the short side. Great shot! They won 1-0. Terribly outplayed by the other team (whom we tied in the quarter finals, actually) but our goalies kept us in it.

8HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:41 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:My kid got the winning goal in their semi finals. The team (Kanata peewee C) finished 3rd of 4 and are now going to the final! It was a back-hand, top-corner on the short side. Great shot! They won 1-0. Terribly outplayed by the other team (whom we tied in the quarter finals, actually) but our goalies kept us in it.

Nice finish there. Not many kids can make that shot.

9HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:16 am

Spirou

Spirou
Prospect
Prospect
SeawaySensFan wrote:Reffing in minor hockey can be brutal at times. One thing I've noticed when I've been the official scorekeeper is that the PIMs for each side balance out better than 90 percent of the time.

The thing that may bother you the most is non-goals being called goals and vice versa! lol

Enjoy the ride, my son started late too, so he has about 2 years left to go. I'll miss it, it really makes the winters fly by.

There's no sense getting angry at the kids learning how to ref, especially at the lower levels. It only discourages them, and they need to start somewhere. Ideally, there's a mentor skating with them on the ice, but that's not always the case outside the larger cities.

I've seen parents on my son's team heap abuse on twelve-year-old refs for missing calls. The poor guys (girls at this age get a pass) are thrown out there all alone for whatever reason, and they leave the ice practically in tears. Absolutely shameful behaviour; and when it happens, I make sure I find the ref and tell him he did a good job.

10HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:20 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
I was a referee for the KYBA for like 12 years, starting at 11 or 12, and there were times when I never wanted to go back because of parents or coaches, but I can't imagine how much worse hockey ref's have it, or even soccer ref's.

11HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:22 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:My kid scored his first goal today. It was the tying goal in a game they trailed 2-0 at one point. I was going to joke about getting the puck, but when I got to the dressing room I saw the coach handing him the puck, and then giving me some white tape.

It was a scramble in front that nobody could clear until he pushed it across the line, but I'm sure in a couple weeks it will be top-corner, on a semi-breakaway, with a defenseman hooking him from behind.

wprager wrote:My kid got the winning goal in their semi finals. The team (Kanata peewee C) finished 3rd of 4 and are now going to the final! It was a back-hand, top-corner on the short side. Great shot! They won 1-0. Terribly outplayed by the other team (whom we tied in the quarter finals, actually) but our goalies kept us in it.

Good call
ThumbsUp

12HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:26 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Spirou wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Reffing in minor hockey can be brutal at times. One thing I've noticed when I've been the official scorekeeper is that the PIMs for each side balance out better than 90 percent of the time.

There's no sense getting angry at the kids learning how to ref, especially at the lower levels. It only discourages them, and they need to start somewhere. Ideally, there's a mentor skating with them on the ice, but that's not always the case outside the larger cities.

I've seen parents on my son's team heap abuse on twelve-year-old refs for missing calls. The poor guys (girls at this age get a pass) are thrown out there all alone for whatever reason, and they leave the ice practically in tears. Absolutely shameful behaviour; and when it happens, I make sure I find the ref and tell him he did a good job.

Oh no! Don't get me wrong, I don't get mad at the refs, I'm just saying the way it is. It's not a big deal, IMO.

13HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:35 am

Spirou

Spirou
Prospect
Prospect
Naw, don't worry, I knew what you meant! HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) 754246 I was just making an observation: this is my son's second year in organised hockey, and he played on the Novice B travelling team this season. Let's just say I was naïve and didn't expect grown men and women to behave the way they did... at games being played at this level by eight-year-olds.

14HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:56 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
SeawaySensFan wrote:

Nice finish there. Not many kids can make that shot.

Especially in peewee-C Wink

15HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) Empty Re: HDA (Hockey Dads - or moms - Anonymous) on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:58 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Dash wrote:I was a referee for the KYBA for like 12 years, starting at 11 or 12, and there were times when I never wanted to go back because of parents or coaches, but I can't imagine how much worse hockey ref's have it, or even soccer ref's.

Dash, I just noticed in your avatar, the jersey on the floor appears to have a 9 on it. What's that all about?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum