Rangers/Isles game in 3D! (next Wednesday)

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48710
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Rangers/Isles game in 3D! (next Wednesday)

Post by wprager on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:55 pm

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/NYRangers/2010/03/18/13278881-ap.html?cid=rsssportsslam!%20hockey

Short article, I'll just paste the full thing. I wonder if HD-PVRs are 3D-ready? Maybe the local FS/BB could record the game on a PVR and show it off when they get the 3D-capable sets in?

One question, though, why Rangers/Isles? Facepalm

NEW YORK - A regional television network will broadcast next week's New York Islanders-New York Rangers game in 3-D, joining a worldwide trend that affects few viewers now but could eventually change the way people watch sports.

Wednesday's hockey game on MSG is the first 3-D sports event on TV in the U.S. But hardly any viewers now have the 3-D capable sets that would allow them to see it.

Networks believe 3-D could be the next big thing, and many are rushing to offer programming. The Masters announced this week that next month's tournament will be available to Comcast subscribers with proper sets.

The NHL game will be available to Cablevision subscribers with 3-D-compatible TVs who get MSG HD. The network is in discussions with other cable providers.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54714
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Rangers/Isles game in 3D! (next Wednesday)

Post by PTFlea on Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:33 pm

Haha, yeah really, why the Rangers/Isles game.
    caissie_1
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1579
    Registration date : 2009-01-27

Post by caissie_1 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:19 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:Haha, yeah really, why the Rangers/Isles game.

The article says regional so that's why im guessing...
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:23 pm

Yup, you'll need a 3d TV, and they just came out last week. And I suppose you'll need a 3d ready receiver, since apparently you need a 3D capable Blu-ray player which apparently just came out last week as well. Not to mention you need X amount of glasses.

Would be easier for a theatre to host a live broadcast of a game. Should do it for playoffs.
    caissie_1
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1579
    Registration date : 2009-01-27

Post by caissie_1 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:24 pm

Dash wrote:Yup, you'll need a 3d TV, and they just came out last week. And I suppose you'll need a 3d ready receiver, since apparently you need a 3D capable Blu-ray player which apparently just came out last week as well. Not to mention you need X amount of glasses.

Let me put it a little simpler... You need alot of $$$ lol!
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48710

Post by wprager on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:09 pm

Maybe you *don't* need a special receiver, and I'll bet the high-end graphics cards are either 3D ready now or could be made to be with a firmware upgrade. Any 120 Hz TV could, theoretically, do 3D for TV signals (30 fps), but you'd need a 240 Hz set for 3D movies (24 fps).

A theater that can play digital movies would be able to play a 3D transmission of a playoff game. Most of them aren't there yet, though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:39 am