You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Pittsburgh @ Ottawa April 18, 2010

GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 29 Vote_lcap20%GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 29 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 29 Vote_lcap233%GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 29 Vote_rcap2 33% [ 3 ]
GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 29 Vote_lcap233%GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 29 Vote_rcap2 33% [ 3 ]
GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 29 Vote_lcap20%GAME 3 - 2010 Stanley Cup GAME DAY: Ottawa Senators (1) @ Pittsburgh Penguins (1), Sunday Apr. 18, 2010 - 6:30PM EST - Page 29 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

Go down  Message [Page 29 of 30]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SpezDispenser wrote:What's the most frustrating is that the Pens haven't played well in months and we're making them look like gods right now. We're gonna need to disrespect them and wallpaper them all over the place and take back this Diddling series.

Or we play the way we played Sunday and wait until next year, but we have a chance here, we might as well play hard.

Regin is the only one with some real fire out there. Some guys are playing well, but it just looks like any other game to them and others just gotta get their heads out of their asses.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Hoags wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Agreed. Game 2 we matched the Pens. Game 3 we played like crap. Not sure what you're arguing about.

I don't think we matched their intensity in Game 2 at all considering they outhit and outshot us, I didn't see the type of puck possession that I saw in Game 1, they're keeping us to the outside and we have very few quality scoring chances. Regin's goal was a lucky deflection that normally wouldn't happen.

Mind you Game 3 was even worse but we're playing worse and worse every game is my point.

I disagree with your assessment of game 2. The Sens could have won that game if not for some bonehead play by Spezza behind the net - See Carkner play him in properly on a different sequence where Crosby tries the exact same thing behind the net - followed by a puck that manages to float out to the point after Crosby falls to his knees (No Crosby didn't make a beauty pass although he wanted to), followed by Elliott allowing it to go in the net.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
SeawaySensFan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:What's the most frustrating is that the Pens haven't played well in months and we're making them look like gods right now. We're gonna need to disrespect them and wallpaper them all over the place and take back this Diddling series.

Or we play the way we played Sunday and wait until next year, but we have a chance here, we might as well play hard.

Regin is the only one with some real fire out there. Some guys are playing well, but it just looks like any other game to them and others just gotta get their heads out of their asses.

I think someone said that at the start of the game 4 GDT didn't they? Sarcasm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
SeawaySensFan wrote:

That's what happens when the team start the feel doubt. This is the defending Cup champs and they're out-playing us, out-hitting, out-skilling, everything. Time for Clouston to wake them up (should have been done waaaaaay before Game 3).

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I'm also a little nervous about Elliott, he's getting his feet wet, which is great, but he's also looking like a rookie.

Elliott, if by chance you come here, trust yourself man, don't listen to anyone else. Play your game, save the puck, don't try to be Brodeur. Come on man! We need you so badly right now.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
I disagree with your assessment of game 2. The Sens could have won that game if not for some bonehead play by Spezza behind the net - See Carkner play him in properly on a different sequence where Crosby tries the exact same thing behind the net - followed by a puck that manages to float out to the point after Crosby falls to his knees (No Crosby didn't make a beauty pass although he wanted to), followed by Elliott allowing it to go in the net.

I don't think Spezza did anything wrong. Letang was left wide open on the point. Elliott was screened on that shot, can't really blame him, the shot shouldn't have been allowed in the 1st place.

And if we were to win that game we should have been up 2-1 or more by that point. I didn't see us pressing for the lead at all in that game, only 20 SOG ????

All I see is us entering the zone, maybe getting a weak shot on net before coughing up the puck and the Pens go the other way. No forecheck, no puck possession in their end and little presence in front of the net.

With offence like that all it takes is one mistake or one great play by Crosby and Malkin to end it. They're good players you know sooner or later they'll make something happen.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Hoags wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I don't think Spezza did anything wrong. Letang was left wide open on the point. Elliott was screened on that shot, can't really blame him, the shot shouldn't have been allowed in the 1st place.

And if we were to win that game we should have been up 2-1 or more by that point. I didn't see us pressing for the lead at all in that game, only 20 SOG ????

All I see is us entering the zone, maybe getting a weak shot on net before coughing up the puck and the Pens go the other way. No forecheck, no puck possession in their end and little presence in front of the net.

With offence like that all it takes is one mistake or one great play by Crosby and Malkin to end it. They're good players you know sooner or later they'll make something happen.

Could not disagree more. All he had to do was hit him exactly like Carkner did and Crosby doesn't make it out from behind the net with the puck.

- Unknown Author

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Hoags wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Could not disagree more. All he had to do was hit him exactly like Carkner did and Crosby doesn't make it out from behind the net with the puck.

I dont think Spezza has the same "hitting effect" as Carkner though... Crosby gets away from some of the best checkers in the league on a regular basis.. Long story short Spezza should not be in that position in the first place...

It's frustrating the way these guys have played.. But we really need to cut them some slack.. When you lose one of your best defenceman and 2 of your best forwards and then you go up against the defending Stanley Cup champs with arguably 2 of the top 3 forwards in the entire league, we surely can't be expecting much... Just to win one game exceeded most people's expectations... We need to play a 90's New Jersey Devils trap in order to have a chance against these guys, only problem is we don't have Brodeur back there... Elliott will have to be god like for us to win this series...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Hoags wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Agreed. Game 2 we matched the Pens. Game 3 we played like crap. Not sure what you're arguing about.

I don't think we matched their intensity in Game 2 at all considering they outhit and outshot us, I didn't see the type of puck possession that I saw in Game 1, they're keeping us to the outside and we have very few quality scoring chances. Regin's goal was a lucky deflection that normally wouldn't happen.

Mind you Game 3 was even worse but we're playing worse and worse every game is my point.

Elliott played much better in G2 than in G1. So he went up, then down again. I expect him to have a bounce-back game like he did after G1 and as he's demonstrated during the regular season after so-so games. Question is, will that be enough? The Pens can probably play even stronger, unfettered, as it were, but such banal things as playing within the same set of rules as their opponent.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:They need to re-watch tapes from Game 1... the team would storm back after any Pitt goal and took it up a notch... where was that intensity in Game 3?

Even so, shabbs, they're hitting the wrong people. That intensity needs to be directed at Gonchar, Crosby and Malkin.

I agree about Gonchar and Malkin -- they respond by retaliating and being thrown off their game. Crosby responds by playing harder. So, unless you are planning on injuring him, don't try to hit him, jut play him hard but fair, if the hit is there, for sure, take it, but don't go out of your way to do it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:SpezD, sorry man, but I have to call you out. Sutton is clearly being outplayed and some of it needs to be addressed by Clouston (don't cross-over to try and hit someone, wait for the hits to come to you, keep it simple, etc.) But saying he sucks this or that, and asking for that second pick back is the kind of bandwagon jumping that we -- as Sens fans -- have been called on far too often. We don't need any of that from the good ones.

Fair enough, I was thoroughly unpleased with Sutton's performance the entire series. I personally don't think he knew what he was getting into, but if he can raise or find his game, then we're in a better situation.

I will say though, that after an amazing reg. season for us (since the deadline), this post-season has been a bust for Sutton.

Weren't you praising him for laying out Leopold?

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
Whether Elliott has a good game or not, Fleury is napping in nets and getting away with it.

We should be putting 40+ SOG and getting a screen in front to boot.

Spezza needs to stop with the blind passes and just shoot unless he has a clear play to make. I think Spezza's problem is that he can be shut down too easily. He seems awful when he's the focus of the Pens' D.

Last edited by Hoags on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Hoags wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

If Spezza could hit like Carkner... we'd be in a much better position overall... and Crosby has some unbelievable leg strength, do not underestimate this.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

If you are talking about the winning goal by Letang, I completely disagree. Spezza stayed with him turn for turn, and Crosby ended up on his knees, almost losing the puck. Regin comes almost into the crease to cross check Pens' #13 -- why, when he's covered by Sutton -- then he fails to take the puck away from a falling Crosby or intercept the "pass" (if you can call it that, it barely made it to Letang). If Regin stays between the puck and the point instead of crashing his own crease, that pass cannot be made.

Now, that said, I still think that Spezza is *not* the player to shadow Crosby. Put Kelly on him because, frankly, having one of our top scorers spend most of his time in our zone shadowing Crosby is a bit of a waste. Give Spezza more time in the offensive zone trying to score, because he will do that better than Kelly.

smash88 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Hoags wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

I dont think Spezza has the same "hitting effect" as Carkner though... Crosby gets away from some of the best checkers in the league on a regular basis.. Long story short Spezza should not be in that position in the first place...

It's frustrating the way these guys have played.. But we really need to cut them some slack.. When you lose one of your best defenceman and 2 of your best forwards and then you go up against the defending Stanley Cup champs with arguably 2 of the top 3 forwards in the entire league, we surely can't be expecting much... Just to win one game exceeded most people's expectations... We need to play a 90's New Jersey Devils trap in order to have a chance against these guys, only problem is we don't have Brodeur back there... Elliott will have to be god like for us to win this series...

Crosby laid out Alfi and Spezza has the exact same chance to do the same, what does he do? Stick check. That's all you gotta know about Spezza, thats who he is and that isnt changing.

People will say Alfi was hated for years for not producing, well he had to learn it by himself, he never had the supporting cast Spezza has had for years. If this team is going to be lead by Spezza at any point in time, those will be years that will have to be quiclly forgotten.

Alfi despite not playing his best is still do other things that the team can look at and go "wow, look at what he's doing, I gotta get in there and do my part too and do something Im not normally asked to do". You watch Spezza and guys say "WTF is he doing?". He shy's away from any kind of physical pressure on himself, he doesnt go outside his comfort zone, and like it or not, he is being out played in such a large way by Crosby he shouldnt even be mentioned in the same breath as the true number 1 centers in The NHL.

He isnt the reason why The Sens are down in this series, but he is a huge problem and as much as people want to believe he has turned the corner, he's still on the same old street looking at a map of what corner he actually has to turn down. The guy doesnt get it. If he played with 1/2 the determination of Alfi or Crosby, he would be a star.

On that winning goal in game 2 though, cant really put that on Spezza, he contained Crosby there. The Sens D has been awful in this series in terms of clearing the crease and making the forwards pay a price. The first goal though, Diddle, Spezza might as well have just sat down on the ice, he would have looked better.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
Spezza seems to suffer the same problem as Thornton, either unable or unwilling to step up their game in the post season. I think he's trying too hard if anything but he's going about it the wrong way.

Fancy drop passes and trying to go through 2-3 Pens defenders may be OK in meaningless regular season games but that won't fly in the post season.

He landed a good hit on Crosby in Game 1, I thought he's finally getting it.

Hoags wrote:Spezza seems to suffer the same problem as Thornton, either unable or unwilling to step up their game in the post season. I think he's trying too hard if anything but he's going about it the wrong way.

Fancy drop passes and trying to go through 2-3 Pens defenders may be OK in meaningless regular season games but that won't fly in the post season.

He landed a good hit on Crosby in Game 1, I thought he's finally getting it.

I gave up on him last nigth when he bailed on the chance to smoke Crosby after he hammered Alfi. That should be enough for most people to through up their hands and say "the guy doesnt get it".

Is it his game to go out and hit people? No it isnt. Is it Crosby's, nope, but he does what he needs to win. Alfi went out there and hammered a knee into Orpik, dont care if it's dirty or not, he tried doing SOMETHING. The message coming from Spezza? "I need someone to pick me up, I can't do it".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 29 of 30]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum