You are not connected. Please login or register

 » Alphabet soup + Anouncements! » Rant 'n' Rave » Rogers sucks; Bell sucks; which one sucks less?

Rogers sucks; Bell sucks; which one sucks less?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 18]

Devo


Sophomore
Sophomore
wprager wrote:Sounds like exciting times a-coming.

By the way, are you sure about a T1? That's only about 1.5 Mb/s (although it's the same down and up).

Absolutely...my Brother in law works for a high tech company but is either travelling or when at home, he's working out of his house. As a result that's the one thing he insisted upon.( I think he said it's T1, what the hell do I know...I know it's 1.5 Mb upload not sure about download). Funny enough he used to work for Bell Sympatico and laughs all the time because he knows they are offering about 1.3 the speed they could. They could offer T1 to just about everyone within a major city but don't as they can get more money the way they do it now.

He has said since they moved to California, that if the american provides were allowed to distribute in Canada, Bell and Rogers would be in dire straights as they would have to dramatically cut their prices while increasing the service they provide just to keep even.

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
T1 is 1.544 or 1.536 (depending on signaling) up and down. It's a symmetric service (unlike ADSL, where the A stands for Asymmetric). Perhaps he said T3.

Devo


Sophomore
Sophomore
wprager wrote:T1 is 1.544 or 1.536 (depending on signaling) up and down. It's a symmetric service (unlike ADSL, where the A stands for Asymmetric). Perhaps he said T3.

Maybe..I do know that instead of the hour plus it takes me to down load the 1.5 GB file from my work, it took me less than 25 minutes...I didn't try uploading as I decided to wait and check my files in when I got home...

We're a Bell household now but I'll be honest the only reason was that when he worked for Bell I had the bare minimum in internet, and he jacked it up for me. As well I got a "Family" discount on my services. Since he's left, we've reduced our home phone to 19.95 a month. We have a digital answering machine at home for messages, but no call waiting, no call display, no voicemail...nothing. We don't use long distance as the only person in our families who doesn't live in Ottawa is my sister, and she calls us.

I've toyed with the idea of switching to Rogers, but I wonder what the compareable cost is to having all my channels (all 4 Sportsnets, both TSN's, Discovery, TLC, History, the kids channels and food network. That along with the basic channels for GLobal, CBC, CTV (With bell you get all the stations across Canada).

If I knew I could equal the service for less $$$ or hastle I'd do it, but as you said, either way your still paying a lot and you still have to complain.

I pay 179.00 a month now, for Satelite (channels listed above), Internet (65.00 a month or there abouts), Home Phone, and 1 Cell phone. I don't have HD ( I know get with the times right) but I have an older Sony Grand Vega TV that only has 720P I believe.

I don't believe it's worth HD with that TV and until I finish my basement I'm not buying a big TV as I don't have anywhere to put it.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
I am going to wait out my contract with Rogers Wireless and hope that by the time it is over there's more competition.

Cause yeah right now Bell and Rogers are pretty much the only two choices. Outside of that, what is there for TV? Shaw, Dishnet, DirectTV? Not even sure if the last two are available legally in Canada.

And Koodo, Wind, Telus for mobile services?

Devo


Sophomore
Sophomore
I have a question...Can I use my Sony Grand Wega for HD? I've heard that while HD is broadcast in 1080 what we get through our receivers is no better than 720. Is that true...It's just the Blue Ray players that are 1080.

Devo


Sophomore
Sophomore
Dash wrote:I am going to wait out my contract with Rogers Wireless and hope that by the time it is over there's more competition.

Cause yeah right now Bell and Rogers are pretty much the only two choices. Outside of that, what is there for TV? Shaw, Dishnet, DirectTV? Not even sure if the last two are available legally in Canada.

And Koodo, Wind, Telus for mobile services?

Dishnet and DirecTV are US only...well legally anyway. Shaw is Rogers isn't it..or they are partnered anyway. But you're right...there are only 2 real providers...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Devo wrote:I have a question...Can I use my Sony Grand Wega for HD? I've heard that while HD is broadcast in 1080 what we get through our receivers is no better than 720. Is that true...It's just the Blue Ray players that are 1080.

From what I understand, and I am embarrassed to not know since I studied TV Broadcasting lol... but 720P is essentially 1080i, which is what Rogers and Bell broadcast in. Really, I don't expect the average person to notice a difference between the two (1080i/1080p) but where you will probably notice the difference is whether you are using HMDI or Component.

I too thought Shaw and Rogers were affiliated and were just offered in different regions, like I know BC had Shaw but not Rogers IIRC, but you can get Shaw AND Rogers here I think.

23Rogers sucks; Bell sucks; which one sucks less? - Page 2 Empty Rogers to give back $30M on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:27 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100618/business/rogers_billling

It's a start ... of a media relation campaign. I think they are trying to hide something much, much bigger. Well, not hide, so much, as to deflect attention from.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

Devo


Sophomore
Sophomore
Dash wrote:
Devo wrote:I have a question...Can I use my Sony Grand Wega for HD? I've heard that while HD is broadcast in 1080 what we get through our receivers is no better than 720. Is that true...It's just the Blue Ray players that are 1080.

From what I understand, and I am embarrassed to not know since I studied TV Broadcasting lol... but 720P is essentially 1080i, which is what Rogers and Bell broadcast in. Really, I don't expect the average person to notice a difference between the two (1080i/1080p) but where you will probably notice the difference is whether you are using HMDI or Component.

I too thought Shaw and Rogers were affiliated and were just offered in different regions, like I know BC had Shaw but not Rogers IIRC, but you can get Shaw AND Rogers here I think.

So is it worth upgrading from regular Satelite to HD with my Gran Wega...I will be giong HD next summer when our basement gets finished and I dole out the $$$ for a big HD tv...but if I can get decent clarity on my Grand Wega, why not start now...

THe only question is if I leave Bell and go to Rogers.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
Damn I pay $300/month with Robbers.

Extended Basic Cable(+ Movie Channels) + Internet Hi-Speed Express + Phone with Call Display + 1 Cell Phone.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Devo wrote:
Dash wrote:
Devo wrote:I have a question...Can I use my Sony Grand Wega for HD? I've heard that while HD is broadcast in 1080 what we get through our receivers is no better than 720. Is that true...It's just the Blue Ray players that are 1080.

From what I understand, and I am embarrassed to not know since I studied TV Broadcasting lol... but 720P is essentially 1080i, which is what Rogers and Bell broadcast in. Really, I don't expect the average person to notice a difference between the two (1080i/1080p) but where you will probably notice the difference is whether you are using HMDI or Component.

I too thought Shaw and Rogers were affiliated and were just offered in different regions, like I know BC had Shaw but not Rogers IIRC, but you can get Shaw AND Rogers here I think.

So is it worth upgrading from regular Satelite to HD with my Gran Wega...I will be giong HD next summer when our basement gets finished and I dole out the $$$ for a big HD tv...but if I can get decent clarity on my Grand Wega, why not start now...

THe only question is if I leave Bell and go to Rogers.

is this your tv? http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11038341#specifications

If it is Full 1080p HD and you have SD satellite right now, yeah you will notice a big difference in quality (and price too lol).

I personally like Bell's programming and look, but the signal loss sucks vs. Rogers.

Rogers keeps sending me offers to trade in my Bell receiver for a Rogers one, so they really want customers. I have no idea what Rogers charges for the packages my family gets through Bell, so I can't compare.

The one advantage I can think of having Rogers is you get OHL.

Devo


Sophomore
Sophomore
Dash wrote:
Devo wrote:
Dash wrote:
Devo wrote:I have a question...Can I use my Sony Grand Wega for HD? I've heard that while HD is broadcast in 1080 what we get through our receivers is no better than 720. Is that true...It's just the Blue Ray players that are 1080.

From what I understand, and I am embarrassed to not know since I studied TV Broadcasting lol... but 720P is essentially 1080i, which is what Rogers and Bell broadcast in. Really, I don't expect the average person to notice a difference between the two (1080i/1080p) but where you will probably notice the difference is whether you are using HMDI or Component.

I too thought Shaw and Rogers were affiliated and were just offered in different regions, like I know BC had Shaw but not Rogers IIRC, but you can get Shaw AND Rogers here I think.

So is it worth upgrading from regular Satelite to HD with my Gran Wega...I will be giong HD next summer when our basement gets finished and I dole out the $$$ for a big HD tv...but if I can get decent clarity on my Grand Wega, why not start now...

THe only question is if I leave Bell and go to Rogers.

is this your tv? http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11038341#specifications

If it is Full 1080p HD and you have SD satellite right now, yeah you will notice a big difference in quality (and price too lol).

I personally like Bell's programming and look, but the signal loss sucks vs. Rogers.

Rogers keeps sending me offers to trade in my Bell receiver for a Rogers one, so they really want customers. I have no idea what Rogers charges for the packages my family gets through Bell, so I can't compare.

The one advantage I can think of having Rogers is you get OHL.

No it's the 46 inch which I believe is only 720P. WHich is what prompted my question about whether Bell and Rogers even transmit in 1080P. If it's 1080i or 720P then it's worth it..or might be anyway.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Devo, you should *absolutely* at least try out HD. I'm sure Bell will be happy to let you try it on some sort of free rental deal for a short time.

There are two standards for broadcast HD TV -- 1080i and 720p. ESPN, ABC and FOX are 720p. Most of the others are 1080i (including most Canadian broadcasters). My TV is a rear-projection CRT (three 8" or 9" "guns" in the bottom of the cabinet, with a tilted mirror redirecting through the front "screen"). Technically, since it is a CRT, it does not have "native" resolution and can display 720p or 1080i (not 1080p because it just is not designed to process that much info). What I discovered a few weeks ago is that, even though it technically can handle 1080i, the signal is converted to 720 and de-interlaced to 720p. So it's *as if* I had a native resolution of 720p. Now, it's slightly better than an LCD 720p monitor that has 768 scan lines or whatever they -- in my case it does not have to scale 720 lines to 768, so there is no chance of scaling artifacts. It does explain why I never saw a difference between recording Lost on ABC (720p) or CTV (1080i). It also explains why I'm not really experiencing a "Wow!" watching blu ray movies (mind you, I usually try to buy superbit versions of DVDs and I had a very good up-converting player before I got the PS3).

All that said, I have a 57" TV and sit about 8-10' away. If you have anything in the 40" range, and unless you are sitting way up close, you will not see (forget about "notice" -- you simply will not see) a difference between 720p and 1080i or 1080p.

Also, when I first got my HD-PVR, and I still had a 480p 32" TV, I did notice a difference watching sports on the HD channels. My HD-PVR converted the signal to 480p, which was probably better than 480i (assuming the original signal was progressive -- so 720p), plus the signal was not compressed as much as the SD channels tend to be, so it was just a better, cleaner picture.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I'm visiting my folks in Ile Perot (suburb west of Montreal). Last week's storm caused a power failure and after the power came back on the TV was gonzo. So we went to FS and got a 42" LG Plasma for a pretty decent deal. Anyhow, this is not about the TV but about their cable.

They are with Videotron and are paying just under $100 for cable (basic plus a 15 a la carte channels), internet and local phone. I didn't see a separate charge for their SD box so I take it that's a freebie. I called to set them up with HD, now that they have a nice TV. The HD box (they use both Ilico and Cisco boxes but I believe this is the Cisco box since that is what they were selling at FS here) is $2.99 per month, rental. Plus you pay $3.03 per month fee for access to HD channels. I don't remember if Rogers still charges a separate HD fee if you are on basic (they used to, but I'm on VPI now). In any case, the Rogers HD terminal is $12.95/month.

The Videotron HD PVR is $5.99 per month, compared to $24.95/month for Rogers.

What crooks!


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rogers Express is 12M down and 512K up.

Is your main issue that your line is not enough to work from home? How do you typically connect to your work? VPN with corporate laptop? Home PC with citrix gateway?

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
My 10Gb down/512k up is fine for VPN and working from home but I'm dropping Rogers wherever I can.

I switched to Vonage, 29.99 for all calling features and unlimited long distance, was paying the same for Home Phone plus rental and other fees they tacked on.

I'll switch to Teksavvy, especially if I keep Netflix, 60GB cap doesn't cut it, especially if I can play LESS and get a 300GB cap. I'll probably downgrade my cable TV and use netflix and download anything else I need. Only thing I really need TV for is hockey and Game of Thrones.

I don't think their bundle discount is worth it as their "fees" manage to nullify it, system access fee, digital services fee etc.

As I look at what people in other countries pay(and wow even across the river with Videotron in Quebec) I just know I am getting ripped off and I can't stand it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Rogers Express is 12M down and 512K up.

Is your main issue that your line is not enough to work from home? How do you typically connect to your work? VPN with corporate laptop? Home PC with citrix gateway?

Are you responding to the original post in this thread, which was a year ago back in July?

Things are OK now. I don't think it was the upload speed. Rogers are still crooks, though.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Rogers Express is 12M down and 512K up.

Is your main issue that your line is not enough to work from home? How do you typically connect to your work? VPN with corporate laptop? Home PC with citrix gateway?

Are you responding to the original post in this thread, which was a year ago back in July?

Things are OK now. I don't think it was the upload speed. Rogers are still crooks, though.
Yeah, looks like I was. They don't call 'em Robbers for nothing.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum