wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47790
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Nearly 7 powerplays per game?

Post by wprager on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:52 am

The Habs once again scored 3 powerplay goals, beating the Bruins 3-1 in the process. 11 goals on 55 chances is 20% -- good, but I thought it would be even higher given the output. What's really hard to believe is how many opportunities they are getting. 55 in 8 pre-season games is nearly 7 each game. This is just ridiculous. Every team's top-six get hooked and grabbed all the time, but for some reason fewer get away with it when playing against the Bleu-Blanc-et-Rouge. What gives? Frankly, I'm getting a little sick of it.

I want some of the old NHL back. Wait, did I just say that?
    Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 3032
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Nearly 7 powerplays per game?

Post by Cronie on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:07 am

I couldn't agree more. Getting the stick into someone's midsection should be alright, up until you actually HOOK him, i.e. impede their progress, THEN call them for hooking. I see nothing wrong with pestering someone by subtlely poking their midsection with your stick...

Mtl had (has) a sick powerplay, so giving them that many opportunities is not only dangerous but just silly.

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:06 am

Cronenbergfan wrote:I couldn't agree more. Getting the stick into someone's midsection should be alright, up until you actually HOOK him, i.e. impede their progress, THEN call them for hooking. I see nothing wrong with pestering someone by subtlely poking their midsection with your stick...

Mtl had (has) a sick powerplay, so giving them that many opportunities is not only dangerous but just silly.

My problem actually isnt with the stick infractions etc.. It is with the inconsistent calls. A stick infraction gets a call then someone slashes a guy 2 minutes later and it is not called. Then at the end of the game, same infraction... no call.

There is to much interpretation of the rules allowed. In other sports a penalty is a penalty no matter what. It is not subject to interpretation, flow of the game or any other consideration. Calls don't get made in the circumstance where the referee doesn't see it only. Could you imagine if the ref in an NFL game didn't call pass interference because it was too late in the game and he didn't want to be responsible for the outcome? Could you imagine if an umpire in baseball gave the tie to the first baseman instead of the runner because of the flow of the game? I know it is not exactly the same but penalties should be penalties no matter what. Don't even get me started on league discipline....
    Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 3032
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cronie on Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:37 am

Great points dude. that's the problem with something that's free to be interpreted anyway the individual sees fit: it results in drastic differences...
    Case in point: look at religion! Perhaps a hyperbolous metaphor, but I'm sure you all understand my point.

As anal as it sounds, perhaps these rules need to be written CLEARLY and firmly so as to eliminate the ridiculous loose or personal interpretations.
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1354
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Post by smash88 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:53 am

MurderOnIce wrote:
    Cronenbergfan wrote:I couldn't agree more. Getting the stick into someone's midsection should be alright, up until you actually HOOK him, i.e. impede their progress, THEN call them for hooking. I see nothing wrong with pestering someone by subtlely poking their midsection with your stick...

My problem actually isnt with the stick infractions etc.. It is with the inconsistent calls. A stick infraction gets a call then someone slashes a guy 2 minutes later and it is not called. Then at the end of the game, same infraction... no call.

There is to much interpretation of the rules allowed. In other sports a penalty is a penalty no matter what. It is not subject to interpretation, flow of the game or any other consideration. Calls don't get made in the circumstance where the referee doesn't see it only. Could you imagine if the ref in an NFL game didn't call pass interference because it was too late in the game and he didn't want to be responsible for the outcome? Could you imagine if an umpire in baseball gave the tie to the first baseman instead of the runner because of the flow of the game? I know it is not exactly the same but penalties should be penalties no matter what. Don't even get me started on league discipline....

That is what gets me going.. A penalty should be a penalty no matter what... Shouldn't matter the score or the time left or whatever...
    Jordo
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 675
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by Jordo on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:03 am

Next time you see a Habs game, watch the Kostitsyns and Komisarek- they get away with EVERYTHING. It pisses me off to no avail. What's worse is that the Kostitsyns whine about everything that is called, or not called against them.

I hate the habs so much.
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1354
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Post by smash88 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:18 am

Jordo wrote:Next time you see a Habs game, watch the Kostitsyns and Komisarek- they get away with EVERYTHING. It pisses me off to no avail. What's worse is that the Kostitsyns whine about everything that is called, or not called against them.

I hate the habs so much.

Yeah get used to it... They will have a bunch of freebies this year... or should I say 2 years??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:07 am