GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » 2010 NHL Draft

2010 NHL Draft

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Go down  Message [Page 36 of 37]

5262010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:27 am

rooneypoo


All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:That's not actually what he said. According to Murray, Spezza would not object to being dealt. While hardly a ringing endorsement of our next Captain, that is not the same as "Maybe we should look into trading me." In fact, we don't even know if Spezza is the one who initiated or if this was in response to Murray's questions.

To be fair, we don't really know what Heatley (or his agent) said, either. We don't even know for sure who said what we don't know was said.

All I know is that Spezza is the one who raised the possibility/topic of his being dealt. However you phrase it, it doesn't look good on him, and it can't help but raise the kinds of questions about his personality that I'm, admittedly, harping on.

That was actually part of my point -- we *don't* know. Could have gone two ways:

#1
JS: Bryan, I wouldn't mind being traded.
BM: Hmm, I see ... and how do you feel about your mother?

#2
BM: Tough way to end the year, eh? Not fun being bood in your own barn during the most important game of the year.
JS: Yeah, it sucks, Bryan. My wife, Jen, sitting there 8 months pregnant, hearing all this. Then I know that idiot with the 'Dutchie' breath and the wrinkled shirt will be around with his usual schtick -- I tell her not to read but, honestly, once in a while I read that crap myself. Pulitzer Prize material -- that ain't it, for sure. All this "Trade him before it's too late" crap and now the fans look like they are on that bandwagon as well -- gotta be honest, if it came to that, I wouldn't stand in your way.

---
Hollywood, here I come Sarcasm

Well, we do have BM's account, which was pretty unambiguous. Jason raised the idea during the exit interviews, BM dismissed it, reminding him that 'it doesn't work that way, you're under contract and made a long-term commitment to this franchise.' I don't know about you, but I listened to that audio last week about 4 times.

5272010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:40 am

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
I just listened to the last three Bryan Murray audio clips on NHL_Sens twitter and I just don't hear what you say you heard.

Reporter: Did he ask for a trade?
Murray: Ah, he said he wouldn't object to one. He didn't come in and say I have to be traded. He didn't object to the fact that maybe it's time, he said, you know the way I've been received now and that maybe it's time that I look around. And I said, well, unfortunately that just doesn't happen. You've signed a long term contract. We have committed to you, you have committed to us, we will look at every thing that's going to help out hockey team, but I'm not going to make a bad trade.


Since Jason is not a free agent, I have to assume that the bolded I in the transcript above was meant to be Murray, not Spezza.

5282010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:43 am

Hoags


All-Star
All-Star
Puck Daddy 2010 NHL Draft - Page 36 489887

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/What-We-Learned-Chiarelli-s-problem-NHL-Draft-;_ylt=AjP096WJII5dJcgZxt1O.BF.ppJ4?urn=nhl,251875

Ottawa Senators: Losers. Maybe you're the kinda guy that really really loves David Rundblad, but the Blues aren't exactly overflowing with forward talent, so why would they deal him? Otherwise, the Sens had just four picks, none in the first two rounds, and then they take a big body with little to no evident skill in Jakub Culek. The kid had 13 goals and was eighth on his team in scoring last year. In the QMJHL!

Spot the brain fart 2010 NHL Draft - Page 36 270956

5292010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:46 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Easy to spot that one. Way to blow Puck Daddy.

5302010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:14 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
It's that dumbass Ryan Lambert, who boldly predicted the penguins would sweep the senators in embarrassing fashion. He's always had a hate-on for ottawa. Just further embarrasses himself here 2010 NHL Draft - Page 36 270956 RUNDBLAD'S NOT A FORWARD!

5312010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:41 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
ANyone heard DOrion on HS this afternoon saying FOwler and Gormley dropped because everyone thought they were soft?

5322010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:31 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:I just listened to the last three Bryan Murray audio clips on NHL_Sens twitter and I just don't hear what you say you heard.

Reporter: Did he ask for a trade?
Murray: Ah, he said he wouldn't object to one. He didn't come in and say I have to be traded. He didn't object to the fact that maybe it's time, he said, you know the way I've been received now and that maybe it's time that I look around. And I said, well, unfortunately that just doesn't happen. You've signed a long term contract. We have committed to you, you have committed to us, we will look at every thing that's going to help out hockey team, but I'm not going to make a bad trade.


Since Jason is not a free agent, I have to assume that the bolded I in the transcript above was meant to be Murray, not Spezza.

What's not to understand?:

Jason: "maybe it's time for you [BM] to look around [for a trade]."
BM: "nope, that doesn't happen, you're signed long term and made a commitment."

It's black and white, right there. Jason is the one who brought up the issue of him being possibly moved.

5332010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:13 am

Guest


Guest
In all fairness to Spezza, be it his fault or not, a lot has happend to him on and off the ice to bring up the possibility. Im hardly a Spezza appologist, but I get why it was brought up.

Now, that being said, he needs to shut his mouth, stop being a baby and play the frigging game like he's paid to do. If he rides out this year in Ottawa, I think he deserves a little credit for taking the hammering he did and then coming back to play. IMO, that's step one in his game taking the next step, it's about a 10-15 step process though.

5342010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:37 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
rooneypoo wrote:
wprager wrote:I just listened to the last three Bryan Murray audio clips on NHL_Sens twitter and I just don't hear what you say you heard.

Reporter: Did he ask for a trade?
Murray: Ah, he said he wouldn't object to one. He didn't come in and say I have to be traded. He didn't object to the fact that maybe it's time, he said, you know the way I've been received now and that maybe it's time that I look around. And I said, well, unfortunately that just doesn't happen. You've signed a long term contract. We have committed to you, you have committed to us, we will look at every thing that's going to help out hockey team, but I'm not going to make a bad trade.


Since Jason is not a free agent, I have to assume that the bolded I in the transcript above was meant to be Murray, not Spezza.

What's not to understand?:

Jason: "maybe it's time for you [BM] to look around [for a trade]."
BM: "nope, that doesn't happen, you're signed long term and made a commitment."

It's black and white, right there. Jason is the one who brought up the issue of him being possibly moved.

Oh, I understand plenty. We sort of know what he said provided:
1- Murray remembers it correctly (I don't try to screw around with my kids, but sometimes I forget exactly what *I* said just a couple minutes later -- they catch me at it every time)
2- Murray *heard* it correctly, interpreted it correctly
3- Murray doesn't have an agenda (I almost spilled my coffee typing that -- of *course* he has an agenda; he had an agenda when he opened up his pie hole and started talking about it, and now he has a different agenda trying to patch things up)
4- Did Spezza really mean to say what he did? How much of that was off-the-cuff, no prep, thinking he was behind closed doors, no microphones around, with the disappointment of an early summer and the stress of having a baby weighing on his (admittedly delicate) psyche?

I know that when I talk to *my* boss behind closed doors I may say some stuff that I would never say in front of other people. And, frankly, I hope my boss has a little more discretion than Bryan showed this time around. You know, it almost makes me wonder to what *really* happened back a year ago. Back then I was saying, no-way would Murray have leaked the Heatley trade request. Now I'm not so sure.

Look, I hate the fact that Spezza said what he did, but I can understand his frustration. Would be nice if he could man up and come out and speak on-record, explaining that. It would be fairly easy; I've already prepared all the necessary excuses for him -- and they are all valid. Even better, though, would have been if Murray had simply kept his mouth shut. With another 5 years at $7M and a NMC that kicks in soon, nobody would have questioned it if he floated Spezza's name out there. It's almost like he had to somehow justify it. It wasn't necessary, it backfired, I hope he's learned from it.

Of course, on the other hand, maybe Murray really *didn't* want to trade Spezza, and this was an ingenious pre-emptive move of Burkian proportions, aimed at poisoning any trade possibilities so he could come back to Spezza/Melnyk/fans and say, look, we talked to a few teams, but nobody was offering anything approaching equal value.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

5352010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:42 am

Guest


Guest
#3 is wrong...Spezza was the one to open his pie hole saying "If they want me back, I'll be back..."

Pre-draft, they'd each talked twice: Spezza, Murray, Spezza, Murray.

5362010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:45 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
Gohan wrote:#3 is wrong...Spezza was the one to open his pie hole saying "If they want me back, I'll be back..."

Yeah, but what if he only said that because he was frustrated that Murray said 'he wasn't happy with the way he was treated'? I could be wrong...I forget the order sometimes.

5372010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:10 am

Devo


Sophomore
Sophomore
Spezza was interviewed by Carolyn Waldo on May 28 where he sat on the fence and was very non committal about whether he wanted to return. 4 Days later he was asked again, when in Toronto and at that time he was firm with his answer.

Murray was then pressed by the media as to what happened and did Jason ask for a trade.

I don't remember any remarks prior to Jason's May 28 from Murray about Jason wanting out. If I'm wrong I will gladly apologize.

5382010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:17 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
Didn't murray say on the radio at the end of the season that Spezza wasn't happy? That's what the healthy scratches ppl say.

5392010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:23 am

Devo


Sophomore
Sophomore
Fair enough, but that's far from he wants out. Alfie wasn't happy and neither was Phillips..

I don't remember them saying they wern't sure if they wanted to return. Something had to prompt Waldo to ask the question (and I've searched for the interview and can't find it).

I'd love to hear what she asked and his response. If it was, are you happy in Ottawa and he responds with If they want me back I'm back, then this whole thing is on him.

If she asks if he asked for a trade then someone had to tip her off.

5402010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:29 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
This answers it:

http://healthyscratches.blogspot.com/2010/06/did-spezza-ask-for-trade.html

We first broached the subject on the Healthy Scratches after Bryan
Murray revealed to us during our season wrap interview that Spezza was
emotional in his exit meeting, saying the booing and criticism really
bothered him. Murray told us that he wanted to sit down with Spezza
again in a few weeks when things settle down.

This past Friday
night CTVOttawa caught up with Spezza at a minor hockey banquet:

When
asked if he had asked for a trade Spezza responded with:

"I don't know, I don't know. I don't
have a comment about that kind of stuff. I don't know where all this is
coming from but whatever happens, happens. I don't know. I have
nothing to....people need stuff to talk about I guess"


When
asked if he wanted to be in Ottawa next year:

"Ya, I'm signed with Ottawa so if they wanna
to have me here then I'm here, so you know I'm not going to get into
anything that was talked about in our meetings or what went on but I'm
gonna be here next year if they have me here"

5412010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:38 am

Devo


Sophomore
Sophomore
based on that, Murray never said Spezza asked for a trade, but as far as paving the road while Spezza never said I want a trade, but he definitely left the door open and suggested as much.

Therefore unless further evidence comes forward I have no other choice than to rule in favor of Mr. Murray.

Mr. Spezza you are to blame.

Court adjourned.

Devo

5422010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:40 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Speaking of the draft, have we gotten a pick for Volchenkov's rights yet?

5432010 NHL Draft - Page 36 Empty Re: 2010 NHL Draft on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:45 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
SeawaySensFan wrote:Speaking of the draft, have we gotten a pick for Volchenkov's rights yet?

I think everyone and their mother knows he's going to the Capitals. Not much interest in getting his rights when you know he won't sign with you.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 36 of 37]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum