You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » The Sun tries to defend itself

The Sun tries to defend itself

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

16The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:42 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
SeawaySensFan wrote:This was gleaned from the so-called "internet":

You can hide here or in a newspaper, but bring it to a public forum where the actual knowledgeable fans are and 99% of the Sun sports writers would be destroyed.

The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 62136

That was me. Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

17The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:45 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SpezDispenser wrote:

You can hide here or in a newspaper, but bring it to a public forum where the actual knowledgeable fans are and 99% of the Sun sports writers would be destroyed.

That was me. The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 235689 The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 805406

I know. That's why it's so funny. Specially the part about destroying Sun sports "writers". The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 270956

18The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:46 pm

beerandsens

Sophomore
Sophomore
SpezDispenser wrote:

That was me. Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

That is hilarious

19The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Brennan is the worst writter I have ever seen, he's actually brutal. What he puts out there 99% of the time is almost unreadable. I just fly by his column because it's usually garbage.

Garrioch is bad, but he does put the information out there and is a fairly trusted source of The Ottawa Senators. Brennan is the guy that is an absolute joke.

20The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:50 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star
Sadly, the media has become more about buying your time than disseminating information.

You can't capture attention unless your story sticks out. That's the sad reality. Journalists are encouraged by their editors to play up certain angles in stories. And this is first hand experience I'm giving here, not conjecture and hearsay.

21The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:34 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
PKC wrote:Sadly, the media has become more about buying your time than disseminating information.

You can't capture attention unless your story sticks out. That's the sad reality. Journalists are encouraged by their editors to play up certain angles in stories. And this is first hand experience I'm giving here, not conjecture and hearsay.

I love this quote because I work in the communications field and journalists bust out balls all the time for 'spinning stories' and never telling the truth when in reality it's journalists (granted not all) that are the one's that have to spin stories to get them published.

22The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:27 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The media in Ottawa is disgusting... but these guys have got to have thick skins too.

23The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
So, The Sun is upset that they are being treated unfairly. Booed by their own home base fans, so to speak. Maybe they wouldn't object to a move.

24The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:So, The Sun is upset that they are being treated unfairly. Booed by their own home base fans, so to speak. Maybe they wouldn't object to a move.

Smile Exactly.

25The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:58 am

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I don't read Brennan's columns, and Garrioch's hit and miss. 

What I really hate about the Sun is whomever does the headlines for their articles.  They are as bad as Global News for inflammatory headlines that really have little to do with the story itself.  They also try and be clever and witty, like today's 'Cheechoo Train Run out of Town' headline.

Really, Sun Sports is a guilty pleasure.  We all know it's crap, but we read it anyways.

26The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:03 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Last time I read The Sun was when I used to take the kids to the McDonalds in Bell's Corners, the one with the big play structure (the hamster run for kids). And that's going back (at least) a couple of years.

27The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:04 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
'Course, now I frequent canoe.ca, which isn't much better Smile

28The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:00 am

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore
What's the alternative?

I don't know much about the Citizen writers, but their sports section is severely lacking. Online sources like TSN or Sportsnet, cater to Toronto and the hockeynews just isn't frequent enough.

No the Sun is the only option and they fricken know it.

29The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:24 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Devo wrote:What's the alternative?

I don't know much about the Citizen writers, but their sports section is severely lacking. Online sources like TSN or Sportsnet, cater to Toronto and the hockeynews just isn't frequent enough.

No the Sun is the only option and they fricken know it.

There's plenty better on the internet. *And* you don't get your fingertips dirty with ink.

30The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:07 am

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore
Maybe, but what that covers Ottawa? Very little has the kind of coverage of the team i expect of a local paper.

31The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:27 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:The media in Ottawa is disgusting... but these guys have got to have thick skins too.

Kinda hypocritical of them to accuse Spezza of not being thick skinned right?

32The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Devo wrote:Maybe, but what that covers Ottawa? Very little has the kind of coverage of the team i expect of a local paper.

NHL_Sens twitter, Ian Mendes, 6th Sens, SilverSeven and, of course, GMHockey. What more coverage do you need Smile

33The Sun tries to defend itself - Page 2 Empty Re: The Sun tries to defend itself on Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:37 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:So, The Sun is upset that they are being treated unfairly. Booed by their own home base fans, so to speak. Maybe they wouldn't object to a move.
They probably have a NTC.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum