GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar?

POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar?

POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Vote_lcap276%POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 76% [ 29 ]
POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Vote_lcap213%POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 13% [ 5 ]
POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Vote_lcap20%POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Vote_lcap28%POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 8% [ 3 ]
POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Vote_lcap23%POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 38

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

31POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SensGirl11 wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Pittsburgh's wingers were garbage last year, their biggest problem was letting in goals. Fleury should have a much better year and witht hat D they should be amongst the leaders in GA.

Tangradi will probably play with Malkin and they will probably sign a cheap winger like Kariya or O'Sullivan to play with Crosby.

I still don't understand why they didn't sign Ray Whitney, that guy is a winner and is still very good at his age. He would've been perfect on Crosby's wing. I would've been scared to play them with him there.

Crosby, Malkin and Staal are the Dung obviously, but they don't have anyone to put the puck in the net beyond that. Ponikarovski is good, but not for a top liner, IMO. Him and Malkin should do pretty good together. I don't really know who Staal's wingers are...Cooke and Dupuis or something? It's a tough 3rd line, but Staal has more skill and should have more skilled wingers with him. Their D lost points but not mobility, I don't think anyway. It'll be interesting to see how they fare.

Ponikarovsky is a UFA and most likely won't be back unless he takes a discount.

Staal plays with Kennedy and Cooke and they are arguably one of the best third lines in the league. Staal's never gonna have skill guys to play with in Pittsburgh, he will have to get traded to play with more skill and get more ES and PP minutes.

Eric Tangradi is a very promising prospect, it should be very interesting to see how he plays next year. Another guy who has shot up their prospect chart is Dustin Jeffrey, who should also have a good chance of making the team out of camp depending on what else they do this off-season.

32POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:11 pm

SensGirl11

Mod
Mod
“Playing in Canada is something special,” Gonchar said Thursday afternoon in a conference call from his home in Florida. “Every time I play in Canada, I play better. I enjoy playing over there, and that’s another reason why I wanted to play there. POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 747605

“Another thing, Ottawa was one of the first teams to call when free agency started, and that showed they were really serious and right into it at the first.”

POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 155853 POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 649241

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Sens+sign+defence+star+Gonchar/3224016/story.html#ixzz0sYOL8sy8

33POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:12 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Those wingers don't scare me at all.

34POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:43 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore
I love the Gonchar signing, especially for this coming season. I would have been even happier if it was the Kovalev deal (5 x 2) but if this is what it takes so be it.

Others have rightfully pointed out that it is a risk that can backfire on Murray, especially compared to the other young FA defensement out there, but I'm going to be shortsighted in my approach by stating that we have needed a "number one" defenseman for years and Gonchar is definitely that guy.

As for the future, if Gonchar's decline is steep it will be tough to swallow. But I am hoping his decline is slow and the kids develop under his mentorship to make up the difference and pass the torch.

Bottom line is I like the risk Murray took and I hope it pays off.

EDIT: And I also believe that his contribution to the offense will have a similar payoff to what the Sens would have had if they had invested in a top six forward. I really think the puck movement makes that much of a difference to these guys' numbers. And let's not forget that Gonchar brings cup experience to the team, which neither Michalek or Martin have.

35POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:06 pm

beerandsens

beerandsens
Sophomore
Sophomore

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=56836#&navid=nhl-search

This alone is an excellent reason to like Gonchar. What a party pooper POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 270956

36POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? on Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:49 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I still don't get why Gonchar got a penalty out of that. Puck is in, play is dead,the Pens celebrate. None of the rest happened. I can see getting a roughing or unsportsmanlike in-between plays, but how can you get hooking when the play is not (in hindsight) on?

37POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
No I am not

38POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:39 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
Big Ev wrote:No I am not

Captain Hindsight resurfaces.

39POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:45 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Depressing thread to look back on.

40POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:38 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I'm not throwing in the towel on what he can bring to the sens(in term of draft picks). it's an expensive draft pick for melnyk. Sarcasm

41POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:53 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Big Ev wrote:No I am not

Captain Hindsight is back!

42POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? - Page 3 Empty Re: POLL: Are you happy with Gonchar? on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:00 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Heh heh. This is a nice trip back in time...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum