The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Share

    Poll

    The State of discussions at GMHockey

    [ 3 ]
    15% [15%] 
    [ 10 ]
    50% [50%] 
    [ 3 ]
    15% [15%] 
    [ 4 ]
    20% [20%] 

    Total Votes: 20

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47801
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by wprager on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:30 pm

    Bass Destruction wrote:It just seems like everything fell apart around the time I left on vacation. Pretty interesting... I hold this entire site together...

    Do not fret GMHockey goers/comers, I am back, and this site can go back to its glory days.

    Then again it could have been a coincidence.

    Or caused by shabbs return, that is also very possible.

    I'd + you, but, you know ... blame Rooney.

    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by rooneypoo on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:38 pm

    wprager wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    shabbs wrote:I wouldn't draw too close a parallel to what was going on with the minus'ing and N4L's leaving... he's left before, he'll leave again... these are the days of our lives...

    How can you say that? The reason N4L left is because he thought there was monkey business going on with respect to a small amount of posters who were subverting the site! He's the one who raised the issue of people with multiple accounts!

    Anyway, if I had to guess, I'd say that whoever did all the minusing (and created a shadow / double account to facilitate the process), probably did it first to target N4L. And I'm the obvious candidate for 'next in line,' given that I hold views similar to Neely's on the very central question of Jason Spezza that dominated discussion around here for 3 months or so. Hence, the second N4L disappears, my rep dropped huge -- the person in question had more time and opportunity to focus on me. It fits way too nicely.

    N4L was the biggest opponent of the very few clowns who were banned from this site. If anyone of them have returned, which is again the issue at hand here, then it makes sense that N4L was therefore the first target, and me next, being guilty by association. Anyone chased off the site the first time around would want to make sure that the guy(s) who made it happen disappeared.

    It's not your position on Spezza. It's how you present your position.

    Nope. If that were true, I would have lost rep points for all the regular reasons -- attacking people, personal insults, being aggressive, etc., etc. You can look back on all my posts, and I never do any of that stuff. I lose points for my opinions, not how I articulate them.

    I took heat for my position on Spezza because some people here feel like he's their son or something, and so when you insult Spezza, you insult them. I can't help how protective some people feel of him, nor how closely others identify with him. That's on those other people.

    I argue my points just like anyone else here, and I do it in a largely civil, polite way. I'm sure I can get testy like anyone else, but I don't do any of the stuff that gets you banned or warned, and outbursts from me are very rare. That's never been up for debate.

    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by rooneypoo on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:40 pm

    wprager wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    shabbs wrote:The rep system was turned off earlier today.

    The site can thank me for it later.

    Just try to minus me for being a bit cocky in the face of a point scored and a battle won.

    I wouldn't hold my breath. That's just me, though.

    Since you clearly think that I don't have nothing of value to say, kindly put me on your ignore list.

    Nevermind, I guess, the fact that I just helped change this site for the better.
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 38
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by rooneypoo on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:41 pm

    wprager wrote:
    Bass Destruction wrote:It just seems like everything fell apart around the time I left on vacation. Pretty interesting... I hold this entire site together...

    Do not fret GMHockey goers/comers, I am back, and this site can go back to its glory days.

    Then again it could have been a coincidence.

    Or caused by shabbs return, that is also very possible.

    I'd + you, but, you know ... blame Rooney.

    LOL. Who's going to miss that system? It's flaws became pretty apparent this afternoon!

    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47801
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by wprager on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:43 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    shabbs wrote:I wouldn't draw too close a parallel to what was going on with the minus'ing and N4L's leaving... he's left before, he'll leave again... these are the days of our lives...

    How can you say that? The reason N4L left is because he thought there was monkey business going on with respect to a small amount of posters who were subverting the site! He's the one who raised the issue of people with multiple accounts!

    Anyway, if I had to guess, I'd say that whoever did all the minusing (and created a shadow / double account to facilitate the process), probably did it first to target N4L. And I'm the obvious candidate for 'next in line,' given that I hold views similar to Neely's on the very central question of Jason Spezza that dominated discussion around here for 3 months or so. Hence, the second N4L disappears, my rep dropped huge -- the person in question had more time and opportunity to focus on me. It fits way too nicely.

    N4L was the biggest opponent of the very few clowns who were banned from this site. If anyone of them have returned, which is again the issue at hand here, then it makes sense that N4L was therefore the first target, and me next, being guilty by association. Anyone chased off the site the first time around would want to make sure that the guy(s) who made it happen disappeared.

    It's not your position on Spezza. It's how you present your position.

    Nope. If that were true, I would have lost rep points for all the regular reasons -- attacking people, personal insults, being aggressive, etc., etc. You can look back on all my posts, and I never do any of that stuff. I lose points for my opinions, not how I articulate them.

    I took heat for my position on Spezza because some people here feel like he's their son or something, and so when you insult Spezza, you insult them. I can't help how protective some people feel of him, nor how closely others identify with him. That's on those other people.

    I argue my points just like anyone else here, and I do it in a largely civil, polite way. I'm sure I can get testy like anyone else, but I don't do any of the stuff that gets you banned or warned, and outbursts from me are very rare. That's never been up for debate.

    Denial. Hey, if that helps you sleep at night, go for it.



    Last edited by wprager on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47801
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by wprager on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:47 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    shabbs wrote:The rep system was turned off earlier today.

    The site can thank me for it later.

    Just try to minus me for being a bit cocky in the face of a point scored and a battle won.

    I wouldn't hold my breath. That's just me, though.

    Since you clearly think that I don't have nothing of value to say, kindly put me on your ignore list.

    Nevermind, I guess, the fact that I just helped change this site for the better.

    I said don't hold you breath waiting for the site to thank you for it. I never said you didn't have anything of value to contribute. I tried out the "foes" list with some people a while back. It really only works with people who have *zero* to contribute. And both you and Neely have a lot to contribute. Too bad there's no filter that removes the silly in-fighting stuff and leaves on-topic, informative, respectful posts intact.

    And, I may be in the minority here, I don't think the site is better without the rep points. I'm not crying about them like Shabbs, though.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47801
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by wprager on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:55 pm

    I used to work with this one guy. He were together on a project once. We were both pretty senior designer by that point in time. I had a little more experience overall, but he'd been with the company (and telecom) a little longer. Anyhow, he was a very soft-spoken guy, never arrogant or anything. I didn't think I'd have any problems working with him. And yet, every design decision that we didn't exactly see eye to eye, somehow he would always argue about it, and usually get his way. At first I thought, he knows this stuff better than I do because he'd been in telecom a couple of years more than I, so unless it was something I really felt strongly about, what's the point of arguing. But by the end of the project I (privately) didn't think I could ever work with him again. We still remained friends, sort-of, but professionally, I just didn't need that. Every little thing -- important or fluff, matters of personal opinion and taste and the like -- it felt that he never, ever would let anything go someone else's way. But he was oh-so-friendly and polite about it. Quite unctuous, actually. I'm sure that there was not any single incident in which he acted inappropriately in any way. It was just over the course of several months he never, ever agreed, changed his mind or let it go.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by shabbs on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:00 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:Since you clearly think that I don't have nothing of value to say, kindly put me on your ignore list.

    Nevermind, I guess, the fact that I just helped change this site for the better.
    I smell an imposter... the real Rooney would never make a mistake like that...
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by shabbs on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:02 pm

    wprager wrote:I'm not crying about them like Shabbs, though.
    That's cuz you didn't have a King's Ransom of rep points like me.

    Smile

    It's clear you had Rep Point Envy.

    Wink
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47801
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by wprager on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:08 pm

    shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:I'm not crying about them like Shabbs, though.
    That's cuz you didn't have a King's Ransom of rep points like me.

    Smile

    It's clear you had Rep Point Envy.

    Wink

    Too true Facepalm


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47801
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by wprager on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:09 pm

    shabbs wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:Since you clearly think that I don't have nothing of value to say, kindly put me on your ignore list.

    Nevermind, I guess, the fact that I just helped change this site for the better.
    I smell an imposter... the real Rooney would never make a mistake like that...

    You bad.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 38
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by rooneypoo on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:31 pm

    wprager wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    shabbs wrote:I wouldn't draw too close a parallel to what was going on with the minus'ing and N4L's leaving... he's left before, he'll leave again... these are the days of our lives...

    How can you say that? The reason N4L left is because he thought there was monkey business going on with respect to a small amount of posters who were subverting the site! He's the one who raised the issue of people with multiple accounts!

    Anyway, if I had to guess, I'd say that whoever did all the minusing (and created a shadow / double account to facilitate the process), probably did it first to target N4L. And I'm the obvious candidate for 'next in line,' given that I hold views similar to Neely's on the very central question of Jason Spezza that dominated discussion around here for 3 months or so. Hence, the second N4L disappears, my rep dropped huge -- the person in question had more time and opportunity to focus on me. It fits way too nicely.

    N4L was the biggest opponent of the very few clowns who were banned from this site. If anyone of them have returned, which is again the issue at hand here, then it makes sense that N4L was therefore the first target, and me next, being guilty by association. Anyone chased off the site the first time around would want to make sure that the guy(s) who made it happen disappeared.

    It's not your position on Spezza. It's how you present your position.

    Nope. If that were true, I would have lost rep points for all the regular reasons -- attacking people, personal insults, being aggressive, etc., etc. You can look back on all my posts, and I never do any of that stuff. I lose points for my opinions, not how I articulate them.

    I took heat for my position on Spezza because some people here feel like he's their son or something, and so when you insult Spezza, you insult them. I can't help how protective some people feel of him, nor how closely others identify with him. That's on those other people.

    I argue my points just like anyone else here, and I do it in a largely civil, polite way. I'm sure I can get testy like anyone else, but I don't do any of the stuff that gets you banned or warned, and outbursts from me are very rare. That's never been up for debate.

    Denial. Hey, if that helps you sleep at night, go for it.


    Obstinacy. Hey, if that keeps you warm at night, go for it.
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 38
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by rooneypoo on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:34 pm

    wprager wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    shabbs wrote:The rep system was turned off earlier today.

    The site can thank me for it later.

    Just try to minus me for being a bit cocky in the face of a point scored and a battle won.

    I wouldn't hold my breath. That's just me, though.

    Since you clearly think that I don't have nothing of value to say, kindly put me on your ignore list.

    Nevermind, I guess, the fact that I just helped change this site for the better.

    I said don't hold you breath waiting for the site to thank you for it. I never said you didn't have anything of value to contribute. I tried out the "foes" list with some people a while back. It really only works with people who have *zero* to contribute. And both you and Neely have a lot to contribute. Too bad there's no filter that removes the silly in-fighting stuff and leaves on-topic, informative, respectful posts intact.

    And, I may be in the minority here, I don't think the site is better without the rep points. I'm not crying about them like Shabbs, though.

    I think it is better. Immensely. Until this site figures out how to ensure there's no shadow accounts, and/or how to change human nature to make sure that rep points are handed out for set reasons rather than personal agendas, that system is clearly ineffective and potentially detrimental.

    I sure wish I could get access to a stupid filter, too, so I hear what you're saying on the other point. No argument there.
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 38
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by rooneypoo on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:36 pm

    wprager wrote:I used to work with this one guy. He were together on a project once. We were both pretty senior designer by that point in time. I had a little more experience overall, but he'd been with the company (and telecom) a little longer. Anyhow, he was a very soft-spoken guy, never arrogant or anything. I didn't think I'd have any problems working with him. And yet, every design decision that we didn't exactly see eye to eye, somehow he would always argue about it, and usually get his way. At first I thought, he knows this stuff better than I do because he'd been in telecom a couple of years more than I, so unless it was something I really felt strongly about, what's the point of arguing. But by the end of the project I (privately) didn't think I could ever work with him again. We still remained friends, sort-of, but professionally, I just didn't need that. Every little thing -- important or fluff, matters of personal opinion and taste and the like -- it felt that he never, ever would let anything go someone else's way. But he was oh-so-friendly and polite about it. Quite unctuous, actually. I'm sure that there was not any single incident in which he acted inappropriately in any way. It was just over the course of several months he never, ever agreed, changed his mind or let it go.

    I'm not one of these passive-aggressive guys, like DTR could be at times.

    Treat me like your sort-of friend then, in a professional capacity. Don't work/post with me if you don't feel like you can be civil or productive. Pretty simple. I'll survive, I promise.
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 38
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by rooneypoo on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:37 pm

    shabbs wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:Since you clearly think that I don't have nothing of value to say, kindly put me on your ignore list.

    Nevermind, I guess, the fact that I just helped change this site for the better.
    I smell an imposter... the real Rooney would never make a mistake like that...

    Ah, I changed courses midstream, and forgot to edit that part. Mea culpa.
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 38
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by rooneypoo on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:46 pm

    Now, if you'll excuse me, I have beer to drink, and an old friend to catch up with. Cheers.
    avatar
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2728
    Age : 50
    Location : Colorado springs, colorado
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by TheAvatar on Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:54 pm

    Prags and Rooney.

    Enough. You are bickering back and forth; arguing your points (both quite eloquently) but enough's enough.

    I think you both need to get into fight club and "iron it out" or something but you're both kindda polluting the discussion with what appears to be strictly a personal vendetta.

    Although I think you are both tremendous contributors to this site (each in your own way), I wonder if this might not be a good time to take a step back.

    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47801
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by wprager on Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:27 pm

    TheAvatar wrote:Prags and Rooney.

    Enough. You are bickering back and forth; arguing your points (both quite eloquently) but enough's enough.

    I think you both need to get into fight club and "iron it out" or something but you're both kindda polluting the discussion with what appears to be strictly a personal vendetta.

    Although I think you are both tremendous contributors to this site (each in your own way), I wonder if this might not be a good time to take a step back.


    7:09
    ...
    ...
    ...
    ...
    8:46
    ...
    ...
    ...
    9:54

    I'm just sayin' ...


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    Sponsored content

    Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:02 pm