Total Votes: 20

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Re: The State of discussions at GMHockey

Post by Hoff-Machine on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:42 pm

Terrible....well I think that's disappointing actually. Hopefully they find a solution to the constant abusing of the rep system and apply it back on the site.

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:54 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
    Michallica wrote:why didn't everyone else just '+' you? And maybe the mods should have authority to see who's +-ing and -ing each other. If someone is constantly repping someone up or down, then I think that individual should also be prepared to be questioned by the moderator. I would think that's a simple solution.

The answer these questions is in those last 3-4 pages of conversation on this thread.

I suggested the same thing that you did, and got the answer I'll pass on to you: it turns out the mods can't see who's repping who, or make any other changes to the system -- it's a computer programming thing that I don't understand, but there you have it.

Who cares about rep points. People in here know well enough who's reputable and who isn't. If rep points are going to cause problems just get rid of them.

Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Kovalfie wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    Michallica wrote:why didn't everyone else just '+' you? And maybe the mods should have authority to see who's +-ing and -ing each other. If someone is constantly repping someone up or down, then I think that individual should also be prepared to be questioned by the moderator. I would think that's a simple solution.

The answer these questions is in those last 3-4 pages of conversation on this thread.

I suggested the same thing that you did, and got the answer I'll pass on to you: it turns out the mods can't see who's repping who, or make any other changes to the system -- it's a computer programming thing that I don't understand, but there you have it.

Who cares about rep points. People in here know well enough who's reputable and who isn't. If rep points are going to cause problems just get rid of them.

I think it brought a unique element to the site. If anything, it made ppl research their info and have them strive to be a little more respected, resulting in less obnoxious posts. Right now, it seems like we know who's good and who's not. What happens when several newbies come along and start with the dingus approaches? Anyways, I liked the rep point idea, it was a niche. I'll still be here...

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:17 pm

having rep points isn't going to deter dingus posters. If anything, I think the opposite will happen. People will take advantage of the system and it will get out of hand... like it did. Personally, I don't need +'s and -'s to sway my opinion of who I think is reputable and who isn't. It should be subjective; people should believe what they want, support the decisions they believe in, etc. If I believe someone is reputable and give him +'s and you disagree and give him -'s it defeats the purpose of the system and of having discussions.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by Hoff-Machine on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:15 pm

its kind of a grey area. I wouldn't give someone a minus, ever, based on me disagreeing with someone. In fact, I always only gave minuses based on people bashing the site or other posters personally (Or absurd things like 'alfie is a bum, trade him already!'). With that regard, yes its a nuisance if someone gives a minus to a post saying 'source?'.
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by TheAvatar on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:02 pm

Michallica wrote:its kind of a grey area. I wouldn't give someone a minus, ever, based on me disagreeing with someone. In fact, I always only gave minuses based on people bashing the site or other posters personally (Or absurd things like 'alfie is a bum, trade him already!'). With that regard, yes its a nuisance if someone gives a minus to a post saying 'source?'.

I don't think I minused any of those "source" emails but the fluffing certainly annoyed me at times. Just one man's opinion though.
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728

Post by TheAvatar on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:03 pm

TheAvatar wrote:
    Michallica wrote:its kind of a grey area. I wouldn't give someone a minus, ever, based on me disagreeing with someone. In fact, I always only gave minuses based on people bashing the site or other posters personally (Or absurd things like 'alfie is a bum, trade him already!'). With that regard, yes its a nuisance if someone gives a minus to a post saying 'source?'.

I don't think I minused any of those "source" posts but the fluffing certainly annoyed me at times. Just one man's opinion though.

EDIT : Actually, I often associated the "source" to the HB "First" posts and those really, really annoyed me.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7429
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:18 pm

Yeah, well, I think I showed pretty conclusively that people (well, at least one certain person / one group of persons) can and do just that.

13 or 14 mystery minuses in one week, which were above and beyond any pluses or minuses I received on posts for the week. Paints a pretty clear picture.
    Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1413
    Registration date : 2009-06-25

Post by Tuk Tuk on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:30 pm

Am I the only one who's really annoyed by the "The most intelligent Hockey discussions on the Web!" tagline?
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoff-Machine on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Tuk Tuk wrote:Am I the only one who's really annoyed by the "The most intelligent Hockey discussions on the Web!" tagline?

Probably?
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:41 pm

Michallica wrote:
    Tuk Tuk wrote:Am I the only one who's really annoyed by the "The most intelligent Hockey discussions on the Web!" tagline?

Probably?

It has stuck out with me a few times, but whatever. We usually do have some of the best hockey talk, after all, so why not brag about it? Razz
    Tuk Tuk
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1413
    Registration date : 2009-06-25

Post by Tuk Tuk on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:51 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
    Michallica wrote:

Probably?

It has stuck out with me a few times, but whatever. We usually do have some of the best hockey talk, after all, so why not brag about it? Razz

Seems a little conceited, no?
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:08 pm

Tuk Tuk wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    Michallica wrote:

Probably?

Seems a little conceited, no?

It's a big claim, that's for sure, and I know that I take flack every time I talk about my credentials around here...

Still, aim high, and take pride. No harm in that.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:40 pm

I haven't had time to read everything, but I just wanted to say I like this topic, it's a step in the right direction on improving the site.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54591
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:53 pm

I said I wouldn't post in here, but there are definitely good issues being discussed.

The rep points thing was something that I was very wary about from the beginning. I thought it was a great chance for people to minus people for reasons other than the hockey chat. It's not a secret that people on here have had issues with others, it's probably gonna happen 90% of the time on a chat board. I didn't want to see anyone get their feelings hurt by being given minuses all the time.

A lot of the time I would see someone get a minus and I would plus them, I can't take that kind of negativity as a rule. I think there's much better ways to resolve whatever conflict you might have with someone through posts instead of being able to sneak around and make them look silly with a -20 point total.

But then it seemed to work for a while and different people were given many of the rep points for doing what some would consider the best GDTs for the Sens. Others for good threads or really good posts. It was a nice thing to get from time to time. I wanted to keep it.

Then this BS starts. What can you do? I'd rather take the feature away than to try to 'smooth' the issue over. Now if people want to 'minus' and opinion, they're forced to talk it out or sit there fuming. I don't mind that personally. Smile
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:53 am

I'm ok with the rep points being removed. It was fun while it lasted, but it's also one of those things that if you weren't "reputable" you might feel left out. It may have become a popularity thing rather than a gauge for good deeds or astute observations.

At least now everyone is equal, and all judgments will be held to quality and not quantity.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:30 am

marakh wrote:I haven't had time to read everything, but I just wanted to say I like this topic, it's a step in the right direction on improving the site.

Thanks, marak. I'm glad to see our efforts here aren't being wasting, and that we can begin to think about constructive criticism as part of a strategy to make the site better instead of empty Wing Dang Doodle and moaning.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by rooneypoo on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:40 am

SpezDispenser wrote:I said I wouldn't post in here, but there are definitely good issues being discussed.

The rep points thing was something that I was very wary about from the beginning. I thought it was a great chance for people to minus people for reasons other than the hockey chat. It's not a secret that people on here have had issues with others, it's probably gonna happen 90% of the time on a chat board. I didn't want to see anyone get their feelings hurt by being given minuses all the time.

A lot of the time I would see someone get a minus and I would plus them, I can't take that kind of negativity as a rule. I think there's much better ways to resolve whatever conflict you might have with someone through posts instead of being able to sneak around and make them look silly with a -20 point total.

But then it seemed to work for a while and different people were given many of the rep points for doing what some would consider the best GDTs for the Sens. Others for good threads or really good posts. It was a nice thing to get from time to time. I wanted to keep it.

Then this BS starts. What can you do? I'd rather take the feature away than to try to 'smooth' the issue over. Now if people want to 'minus' and opinion, they're forced to talk it out or sit there fuming. I don't mind that personally. Smile

Of course there are. Smile Good to see you come around.

For me, the rep points themselves don't mean much. The problem was that they could be abused to create an impression of a consensus that wasn't there. I wake up to a -14 on the week, and I think, wow, how is this sensible opinion received with so much negativity? And then it looks like everybody's on me, and other people here just assume that that's the case. Well, then you add up the numbers and you see that there are more people with me than against me, and what's going on is one guy / one set of guys with a vendetta.

Abusing the rep points allowed some person / people to manipulate the reputation of select posters (presumably in an effort to silence them), to create the impression that that negative opinion was reflective of the site at large (when it clearly wasn't), and to built false consensus on select issues. Until we can find a way to prevent those things, we're better off without the rep points.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:58 am