Reputation system

    Share

    Poll

    Should we re-instate the Reputation system

    [ 10 ]
    40% [40%] 
    [ 15 ]
    60% [60%] 

    Total Votes: 25

    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by rooneypoo on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:02 pm

    SpezDispenser wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    The evidence was deleted when the mods/owners deleted the rep system, about an hour after I pointed out the issue. It was as plain as day for anyone to see who looked at it. I'm pretty sure Prager saw it, and I'm guessing whoever hit the 'delete' button on the rep system must have seen it as well.

    I guess I should have thought about that. Laugh1 I don't think there was a way to track +s and -s, but I could be wrong.

    I'm not blaming anyone. But since you presumably deleted the rep system after you saw my post, then you must have looked at what I was talking about, first, no?

    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54236
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:56 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    The evidence was deleted when the mods/owners deleted the rep system, about an hour after I pointed out the issue. It was as plain as day for anyone to see who looked at it. I'm pretty sure Prager saw it, and I'm guessing whoever hit the 'delete' button on the rep system must have seen it as well.

    I guess I should have thought about that. Laugh1 I don't think there was a way to track +s and -s, but I could be wrong.

    I'm not blaming anyone. But since you presumably deleted the rep system after you saw my post, then you must have looked at what I was talking about, first, no?

    It had filtered into one of the other threads I think, someone was moaning about a lost rep point and I noticed you were having issues with yours and I wanted to avoid any further damage. I never liked them anyway for reasons I've stated many times, I was basically looking for a reason.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by Guest on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:18 pm

    rooneypoo wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Probability != fact. That was my point.

    For the record, I do beleive it was one person with multiple accounts going back and minusing you.

    I appreciate that.

    For the record, tho': it is 100% fact that I lost 13 or 14 points in 7 days; it is 100% fact that if you add up the pluses and minuses I got on the week for the week's posts, I was actually a +1; and therefore it is 100% fact that some person / some people, working in concert or not, went back to minus my old posts 13 or 14 times -- there is no other way I could have lost those point. None of that is disputable.

    If you mean to say, "it was probable, but not fact, that one person did all that," then, yes, I agree. But to me, that suggestion makes a lot more sense than the suggestion that 5 or 6 people, unbeknownst to each other and without consultation, each acted separately to bring about the end result of a -13 or -14 on the week. That strikes me as highly improbably, though admittedly possible.

    who cares? are you that insecure?
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 37
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by rooneypoo on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:33 pm

    DirtyDave wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Probability != fact. That was my point.

    For the record, I do beleive it was one person with multiple accounts going back and minusing you.

    I appreciate that.

    For the record, tho': it is 100% fact that I lost 13 or 14 points in 7 days; it is 100% fact that if you add up the pluses and minuses I got on the week for the week's posts, I was actually a +1; and therefore it is 100% fact that some person / some people, working in concert or not, went back to minus my old posts 13 or 14 times -- there is no other way I could have lost those point. None of that is disputable.

    If you mean to say, "it was probable, but not fact, that one person did all that," then, yes, I agree. But to me, that suggestion makes a lot more sense than the suggestion that 5 or 6 people, unbeknownst to each other and without consultation, each acted separately to bring about the end result of a -13 or -14 on the week. That strikes me as highly improbably, though admittedly possible.

    who cares? are you that insecure?

    The only thing at stake here is someone suggesting I'm lying -- no wait, too rough a word, perhaps "not telling the truth" is more palatable?

    There were suggestions above that my word, and all the evidence that backed it up, weren't enough. Not cool at all.

    As for insecurity, I've said a thousand times this has nothing to do with rep points. It's that the rep points were pointing to a larger problem that needs to be dealt with. I trust the owners to sort it out, tho', and that's all I'll say.
    avatar
    asq2
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7179
    Favorite Team : Detroit
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by asq2 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:50 pm

    Just curious; how did you count the +s and -s?
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47627
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by wprager on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:01 pm

    asq2 wrote:Just curious; how did you count the +s and -s?

    If you hovered over the green or red bar the tooltip displayed how many gave you rep points and how many took them away.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2728
    Age : 50
    Location : Colorado springs, colorado
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by TheAvatar on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:02 pm

    Cap'n Clutch wrote:

    I disagree. Nothing you've said here makes me think abuse of the system was 100% fact.

    You present this as fact when that absolutely is not. He suspects someone based on very poor quality evidence. I certainly can't say he's wrong but there's nothing to prove him right.

    Excuse me for saying so but when I read your posts, I feel you would disagree with Rooney if he told you the sky is blue, the clouds are white (or various degrees of gray) and the sun is yellow; I'm just sayin' is all.
    avatar
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2728
    Age : 50
    Location : Colorado springs, colorado
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by TheAvatar on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:05 pm

    SpezDispenser wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:
    rooneypoo wrote:
    The evidence was deleted when the mods/owners deleted the rep system, about an hour after I pointed out the issue. It was as plain as day for anyone to see who looked at it. I'm pretty sure Prager saw it, and I'm guessing whoever hit the 'delete' button on the rep system must have seen it as well.

    I guess I should have thought about that. I don't think there was a way to track +s and -s, but I could be wrong.

    I'm not blaming anyone. But since you presumably deleted the rep system after you saw my post, then you must have looked at what I was talking about, first, no?

    It had filtered into one of the other threads I think, someone was moaning about a lost rep point and I noticed you were having issues with yours and I wanted to avoid any further damage. I never liked them anyway for reasons I've stated many times, I was basically looking for a reason.

    Ok; so learnings from this experience : AVOID KNEE JERK REACTIONS Smile
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 37
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by rooneypoo on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:15 pm

    TheAvatar wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:

    I disagree. Nothing you've said here makes me think abuse of the system was 100% fact.

    You present this as fact when that absolutely is not. He suspects someone based on very poor quality evidence. I certainly can't say he's wrong but there's nothing to prove him right.

    Excuse me for saying so but when I read your posts, I feel you would disagree with Rooney if he told you the sky is blue, the clouds are white (or various degrees of gray) and the sun is yellow; I'm just sayin' is all.



    You know, I've never noticed that once in all my time here or ever felt that way.
    avatar
    asq2
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7179
    Favorite Team : Detroit
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by asq2 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:53 pm

    wprager wrote:
    asq2 wrote:Just curious; how did you count the +s and -s?

    If you hovered over the green or red bar the tooltip displayed how many gave you rep points and how many took them away.

    Ah.

    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54236
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:11 pm

    TheAvatar wrote:

    Ok; so learnings from this experience : AVOID KNEE JERK REACTIONS Smile

    Not really. I didn't want the system anymore.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54236
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:13 pm

    The rep system isn't coming back as far as I'm concerned. It caused way more issues than it solved.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47627
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by wprager on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:46 pm

    SpezDispenser wrote:The rep system isn't coming back as far as I'm concerned. It caused way more issues than it solved.



    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2728
    Age : 50
    Location : Colorado springs, colorado
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by TheAvatar on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:35 am

    SpezDispenser wrote:
    TheAvatar wrote:

    Ok; so learnings from this experience : AVOID KNEE JERK REACTIONS Smile

    Not really. I didn't want the system anymore.

    I guess that's the part where we say; fine, it's your board; Do what you want.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54236
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:47 am

    TheAvatar wrote:
    I guess that's the part where we say; fine, it's your board; Do what you want.

    That's the lazy thing to think/say, yeah. I've explained in detail why I don't like the rep system. But if you think I'm pulling a 'power' move because I'm a co-founder of this site (and I do it all the time?), then so be it.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54236
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:50 am

    wprager wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:The rep system isn't coming back as far as I'm concerned. It caused way more issues than it solved.


    If we can find a way to track who gives -s and +s, then we can put it back on, but you know how I feel about it being 100% anonymous.
    avatar
    sens4win
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1498
    Age : 24
    Location : London
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-01-03

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by sens4win on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:36 am

    SpezDispenser wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:The rep system isn't coming back as far as I'm concerned. It caused way more issues than it solved.


    If we can find a way to track who gives -s and +s, then we can put it back on, but you know how I feel about it being 100% anonymous.
    if your going to give out rep points you should just leave a comment, (this was already a suggestion) simple if you don't like a post you should just say why, no one should take offense for getting a -, people act like it was the end of the world, and some people have to grow up and be more responsible, when giving out points, we have some weird threads these days...
    avatar
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2728
    Age : 50
    Location : Colorado springs, colorado
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by TheAvatar on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:59 am

    sens4win wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:The rep system isn't coming back as far as I'm concerned. It caused way more issues than it solved.


    If we can find a way to track who gives -s and +s, then we can put it back on, but you know how I feel about it being 100% anonymous.
    if your going to give out rep points you should just leave a comment, (this was already a suggestion) simple if you don't like a post you should just say why, no one should take offense for getting a -, people act like it was the end of the world, and some people have to grow up and be more responsible, when giving out points, we have some weird threads these days...

    Yeah, the dog days of summer for news craved Sens fans ... Wink

    Sponsored content

    Re: Reputation system

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:51 am