GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco

Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

61Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 5 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:06 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Big Ev wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:This is BS that they just loan a 5.6 million dollar goalie to the Swiss League and everything goes away.

Cuss that...

Boston should do this with Thomas.

So much bad karma, but yes, if they're that desperate to get rid of Thomas, they should consider it. Then Rask breaks his (fill in the body part here) and Thomas tells them to cuss themselves. Smile

62Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 5 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:47 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:This is BS that they just loan a 5.6 million dollar goalie to the Swiss League and everything goes away.

Cuss that...

a) this is what washington did with Nylander (kind of the same)

b) why couldnt' we have done that with Cheechoo.

63Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 5 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:06 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
DirtyDave wrote:

Exactly. Cheechoo should be a member of the Swiss Cheeses and we should have the cap space, but hey...what do we know, right? Shrug

64Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 5 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:08 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SpezDispenser wrote:
DirtyDave wrote:

Exactly. Cheechoo should be a member of the Swiss Cheeses and we should have the cap space, but hey...what do we know, right? Shrug

I'm guessing Cheechjoo wouldn't have wanted to go to Europe...it's not like we can just say, "Hey Jokerit, you can have Brian Lee" and then ship him there lol. I think they would have to agree to it Smile

65Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 5 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:11 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Big Ev wrote:
I'm guessing Cheechjoo wouldn't have wanted to go to Europe...it's not like we can just say, "Hey Jokerit, you can have Brian Lee" and then ship him there lol. I think they would have to agree to it Smile

Fair enough, but ask me if I give a Dung. Out you go Cheechoo, you can play in the AHL or you can make your own deal with a team in Europe. Bye! Goodbye

66Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 5 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:13 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SpezDispenser wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

Fair enough, but ask me if I give a Dung. Out you go Cheechoo, you can play in the AHL or you can make your own deal with a team in Europe. Bye! Goodbye

Or just have him "accidentally fall down the stairs", tearing his ACL in the process, then we could have put him on LTIR! Laugh1

Too cruel?

67Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 5 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:12 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Big Ev wrote:Or just have him "accidentally fall down the stairs", tearing his ACL in the process, then we could have put him on LTIR! Laugh1

Too cruel?

Meh. Either way.

68Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 5 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:56 pm

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Cuss that...
It is all within the rules.

Yeah? Well so was Kovalchuk's contract. Maybe Lou pissed off someone.

Actually, there's no precident for players ending their career with a string of 6 consecutive years making the league minimum. On the other hand, we've seen players go into their twilight earning 1-2 million for the final few years; thus the Hossa, etc contracts actually make sense. Kovalchuk's contract, however, was the most direct and blatant attempt at cap circumvention that I can imagine. The very second I saw the year-to-year numbers, I knew it would be voided. It was just nonsense, and it quite clearly undermined the spirit of the CBA.

69Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 5 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco on Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
cash wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Cuss that...

Actually, there's no precident for players ending their career with a string of 6 consecutive years making the league minimum. On the other hand, we've seen players go into their twilight earning 1-2 million for the final few years; thus the Hossa, etc contracts actually make sense. Kovalchuk's contract, however, was the most direct and blatant attempt at cap circumvention that I can imagine. The very second I saw the year-to-year numbers, I knew it would be voided. It was just nonsense, and it quite clearly undermined the spirit of the CBA.

Is there any precedent in a $5.6M contract player being loaned to another league?

And I wasn't even talking about precedent, but only about being "within rules". Is it within the rules? It is within the written rules, yes. It only tries to circumvent the spirit of the CBA.

Loaning a player to another league is within the written rule of the CBA. Did the Hawks make this move to circumvent the cap? Undoubtedly.

70Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 5 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:23 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:
cash wrote:
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Cuss that...

Is there any precedent in a $5.6M contract player being loaned to another league?

And I wasn't even talking about precedent, but only about being "within rules". Is it within the rules? It is within the written rules, yes. It only tries to circumvent the spirit of the CBA.

Loaning a player to another league is within the written rule of the CBA. Did the Hawks make this move to circumvent the cap? Undoubtedly.

Michael Nylander was making a little bit less, but it's the same general idea.

71Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 5 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
As we get deeper into the cap era, this'll happen more often. Cheechoo should have been another one to be honest.

72Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 5 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:20 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispenser wrote:As we get deeper into the cap era, this'll happen more often. Cheechoo should have been another one to be honest.

Maybe they tried and he wouldn't go ? Or maybe Murray is just too nice to do that.

I remember all his comments in the media, he still thought he was a genuine NHL player, when watching him play during the year he couldn't keep up with a single player on his line. I could see him not wanting to be shipped out to Europe in the last year of his contract.

73Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco - Page 5 Empty Re: Hawks let Niemi walk, sign Turco on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:28 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Hoags wrote:
Maybe they tried and he wouldn't go ? Or maybe Murray is just too nice to do that.

I remember all his comments in the media, he still thought he was a genuine NHL player, when watching him play during the year he couldn't keep up with a single player on his line. I could see him not wanting to be shipped out to Europe in the last year of his contract.

It's an argument that can't be won for either side. There's the group of people who understood Cheechoo being bought out because it would save the organization a million dollars over two year - and that's still a lot of money. Then there's the rest of us who would have gladly buried Cheechoo in the AHL or in Europe and used the extra 1 million in cap space this year and next on something valuable - say a deadline addition or towards Marc Savard's salary.

I'm a big salary cap guy, I follow the cap as closely as possible and I knew the moment this was announced that it was a slight mistake. But...you can't argue with Melnyk wanting to save a little money, as people have pointed out, this is reality, not a video game.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum