You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » 4 Other Contracts Under Review

4 Other Contracts Under Review

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

314 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 Other Contracts Under Review on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
i don't think they should be able to null existing contracts but I don’t think half of these contracts should have been allowed.

A few rules should prevent these incidents from happening again.

maximum 10 years for a contract. Would be a good start.
Another one would be if you sign a player for more then 5 years the amount cannot decrease by more then half the previous year…

324 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 Other Contracts Under Review on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:11 pm

Flo The Action

All-Star
All-Star
^^^^^
yes i understand Alfie deal would of cicumvented my second recomendation

334 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 Other Contracts Under Review on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:00 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star
Those are good suggestions. There's no way they should be allowed to nullify contracts that they have already passed for approval. That's Dung. as I said, it would have changed the teams makeup depending on the outcome at the time.

So, they should have to live with their decisions, and now should look at the future.

I am very worried though about the end of next season, with another potential lock out. These two sides (NHL and NHLPA) haven't been very friendly these few years, so I expect things could get real ugly. It's a shame that both sides have to be so stubborn. The reality is, the players are what makes the league the success it is. They attract the fans, they are the ones that play the game, so if a guy wants league maximum pay, so be it. If a guy wants league minimum, so be it. As long as the team is willing to pay, the fans are willing to pay, then everyone should just be happy.

NHL better be worried about a lock out, cause if players go elsewhere to play, they may not come back.

344 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 Other Contracts Under Review on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:20 pm

Tuk Tuk

Tuk Tuk
Veteran
Veteran
How about no years salary can be less than half the total contract's average.

Like if the cap hit is 6 million, no year's salary can be less than 3 million.

354 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 Other Contracts Under Review on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:17 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Does that even work mathematically?

I'm not saying for sure it does, but it might take some serious math skills to draw up.

For example, a basic deal paying 8 year 1, followed by 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and finally 1, has an average cap hit of 4.5, so the last 4 years couldn't;t work.

Even a 6x5x4x4x4x4x3x2 deal is a 4 cap hit.

364 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 Other Contracts Under Review on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:56 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Why do they need to front-end load things anyway? League minimum is more than they need to live on -- everything else is gravy. A *LOT* of gravy for some of them. Just spread the salary out evenly, just like the cap hit, and forget about advances. Bonuses should be based on hitting realistic but not gimme targets.

374 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 Other Contracts Under Review on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:00 am

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
More on this issue;

Marian Hossa, Chris Pronger, Roberto Luongo and Marc Savard likely don’t have much to worry about when it comes to their contracts.
NHL investigations into their front-end loaded deals — thrust into the limelight after Ilya Kovalchuk’s contract was struck down — are going nowhere fast.

While team officials from Chicago, Philadelphia, Vancouver and Boston are all co-operating with the investigations, league sources said Tuesday nobody expects any action to be taken — despite the fact the league has been looking into some of these contracts for a year.

Eyebrows were raised when arbitrator Richard Bloch mentioned the deals Monday while putting the hammer down on Ilya Kovalchuk’s 17-year, $102-million US contract with the New Jersey Devils. He pointed out all the contracts involved are structured similarly.
A high-profile agent said he doesn’t believe the NHL would kill or even attempt to kill any of those deals.

Of the contracts, only Hossa has received any money so far. The rest kick in next season. If they were rejected, the players could become unrestricted free agents — a highly unlikely scenario.

“The NHL isn’t going to do anything with these deals. Nothing is going to happen,” said the agent. “They’ve been trying to investigate most of these deals for a year.”

“I can tell you they certainly aren’t going to rip up a contract that has already been signed and approved by the league.

“That’s the difference: The deal that Kovalchuk signed was never approved by the league. The rest of these deals passed the smell test.”

Kovalchuk is expected to restructure his deal and sign with the Devils anyway.

Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said he was informed of the investigation after Savard signed his seven-year, $28.05-million extension in December 2009 and met with league officials last week.

“We are co-operating fully with the league in its investigation of the Marc Savard contract extension. The league informed us upon their registration of the contract on Dec. 1, 2009 that they would be investigating the circumstances surrounding this contract,” Chiarelli said in a statement.

“They commenced their investigation and it has been ongoing since then. On Aug. 4, I met with two league-appointed lawyers ... We will continue to co-operate with the league in any future investigative proceedings.”

Philadelphia Flyers president Peter Luukko told CSNPhilly.com he considers the matter closed with Pronger, who signed a seven-year, $34.5-million extension.

“The contract with Chris Pronger that we registered with the National Hockey League is one we certainly feel was a compliant contract,” Luukko told the website.

“The Pronger contract is structured differently than the Kovalchuk contract. And it’s been in effect well over a year.”

384 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 Other Contracts Under Review on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:07 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:Why do they need to front-end load things anyway? League minimum is more than they need to live on -- everything else is gravy. A *LOT* of gravy for some of them. Just spread the salary out evenly, just like the cap hit, and forget about advances. Bonuses should be based on hitting realistic but not gimme targets.

Just so they can ride off into the sunset at 38-39 knowing they've collected 85% of their earnings for that contract. I can see the point for sure, if I had been payed 90 of my 100 million at age 38 and was starting to get tired and broken, I'd retire to the Amalfi Coast to prepare for my new job of wine tasting, book reading and sleeping.

394 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 Other Contracts Under Review on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:33 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:Why do they need to front-end load things anyway? League minimum is more than they need to live on -- everything else is gravy. A *LOT* of gravy for some of them. Just spread the salary out evenly, just like the cap hit, and forget about advances. Bonuses should be based on hitting realistic but not gimme targets.

Just so they can ride off into the sunset at 38-39 knowing they've collected 85% of their earnings for that contract. I can see the point for sure, if I had been payed 90 of my 100 million at age 38 and was starting to get tired and broken, I'd retire to the Amalfi Coast to prepare for my new job of wine tasting, book reading and sleeping.

That sounds spectacularly awesome. Are we ready to do that yet? 4 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 422187

404 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 Other Contracts Under Review on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
While I believe the NHL can investigate and technically tear up these contracts even though they're approved I don't think they're going to open that can of worms.

Probably just scare tactics to discourage other GMs from doing such deals in the future.

414 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 Other Contracts Under Review on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:53 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
SensGirl11 wrote:
That sounds spectacularly awesome. Are we ready to do that yet? 4 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 422187

Yes, I just booked the tickets! We leave out of Neverland in the morn! Ahhhhh!

424 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 Empty Re: 4 Other Contracts Under Review on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:20 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
SpezDispenser wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:

Yes, I just booked the tickets! We leave out of Neverland in the morn! 4 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 235689

OMG!! 4 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 235689 4 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 226479 4 Other Contracts Under Review - Page 3 235689

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum