wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47784
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Bluetooth headphones with your iPod?

Post by wprager on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Dell has a 48-hour sale, and there's a Sony bluetooth headset that's half-off. They are not the earbud types, but they are not overly big either. The obvious draw here is the lack of a cord. I was thinking of getting this for my kid's birthday. So, some quick questions:
    - does the iPod support bluetooth devices? (he could also use it with his laptop, but it would be nice to use it with the iPod)
    - has anyone her ever used bluetooth headsets with their iPod/iPhone and, if so, any comments?
    - 50% off is nice and all, but even at the full list price this set is at the low-end of the price range: should I be concerned?

Here's the link:
    http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Networking_Enterprise_Class/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A2945973

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: Bluetooth headphones with your iPod?

Post by shabbs on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:48 pm

List of devices and supported Bluetooth profiles here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3647
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:07 pm

shabbs wrote:List of devices and supported Bluetooth profiles here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3647

Cool, so it supports it! And it will also support AVRCP (pause/play/skip -- perhaps volume control?)

Edit: The volume control and pause/play work, but not the skip forward/back. At least according to this review (it may have changed since then):

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:10 pm

So I ended up ordering it on Tuesday morning. I figured there's no way it would get here before Saturday (when my son gets back from camp). But it got picked up Tuesday night, arrived in Ottawa this morning and delivered this afternoon (well, I wasn't home, so I have to go to the local Home Hardware now to pick it up). That was quick.

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:35 pm

From Dell? It was probably sent from the Dell warehouse down the street from me lol.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:38 pm

This is the second bluetooth peripheral I got from Dell at half-price. I'm also the proud owner of a MS bluetooth mouse. Free shipping and they come to your door in two days? Why can't Amazon.ca do that (oh, and while they're at it, equalize the prices, too).

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:41 pm

I like Amazon, have had great experiences from them. I typically get 2-3 day free delivery at the latest.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:46 am

Dash wrote:I like Amazon, have had great experiences from them. I typically get 2-3 day free delivery at the latest.

.com or .ca? I think I'd only once ordered from Amazon.ca. And that was before they started offering free shipping. Their prices are significantly higher than Amazon.com, and then you add on the taxes. My sister lives in Dallas, so I've had her re-mail some stuff for me. I have in-laws in the US as well. It's inconvenient, for sure, but I *really* hate overpaying. As a result I end up not ordering as much as I would otherwise, saving me even more money Smile

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:10 am

Sorry, .ca. I only once ordered from .com and it was because I had a gift card.

If I want something from Amazon.ca that I can't get elsewhere, or it's super cheap, but doesn't get me free shipping I normally spend a little more to get it.

I'm not going to play around with .com to save a few bucks, doesn't seem worth it, plus you might get hit with duty at the border.

And you can usually get BestBuy to price match Amazon... especially when it costs $40+, since you'd get free shipping.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:37 am

Typically anything under $40 is not hit with anything, but, like I said, I usually go through my sister -- all she has to do is slap on a new shipping label, mark it as gift and I get it a little later.

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:33 am

Gifts sent to individuals in Canada are exempt from duties and taxes if:

* the item is worth less than $60 CAN (see Bank of Canada exchange rates)

* the item includes a card or notice indicating that it is a gift.

If the gift is worth more than $60 CAN, the recipient will have to pay applicable duties and sales taxes on the value of the gift over $60 CAN.

The $60 gift exemption does not apply to

* tobacco, alcoholic beverages, or advertising material

* items sent by a business, company, or association

The $60 gift exemption can not be combined with the regular $20 mail exemption available for all items.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:10 pm

I didn't say the handle- sets were a gift Smile Only Lost S1 blu ray.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20805
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Just would like to chime in about Amazon.ca...love the site, my family uses it all the time, especially for blu-rays and textbooks Iwhich are always cheaper than the ones at the campus bookstoreO. If the item is in stock, it takes 1 to 2 days to get to my mailbox Smile
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:31 am

Not sure how I finally got it done, but I successfully paired the headset with my son's iPod. He has *zero* excuse not to use them now. Not sure why I didn't see the setting before (I think it was Settings->General-Bluetooth). I had read/seen somewhere that you needed to run 3.0 to use bluetooth, but I didn't upgrade the s/w. I had asked my kid to check what he was running (I was at work at the time); when I got home he said he hadn't bothered checking up on it, so I was going through the Settings menu to find out for myself -- and that's when I saw the bluetooth setting that I'm *sure* wasn't there before. Can the iPod upgrade itself? Or am I really that blind?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:17 pm