GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League

Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League - Page 2 Empty Re: Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
marakh wrote:You can't really rank a defense tandem based on the PP efficiency of the team though.
Anaheim got Niedermayer + the best line in the league
Detroit's PP relies a lot on Holmstrom in front of the net and Datsyuk's eyes behind the head
Vancouver's is the Sedins show
etc.

Of course not. But it's one way to double-check things. If the top PP is not in your top-five then you double check. There are anomalies, of course, but you investigate them.

The right way to do it is to click on the Stats tab on nhl.com and look up the PPP leaders for defensemen. That should give you an idea of how to find the best tandem.

17Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League - Page 2 Empty Re: Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:36 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
PKC wrote:
The right way to do it is to click on the Stats tab on nhl.com and look up the PPP leaders for defensemen. That should give you an idea of how to find the best tandem.

I think there might be too many intangibles to forecast next season based on last. Karlsson being here a full year, Gonchar's addition, Phaneuf being there a full year, Subban, etc. etc.

18Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League - Page 2 Empty Re: Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:49 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
PKC wrote:
wprager wrote:
marakh wrote:You can't really rank a defense tandem based on the PP efficiency of the team though.
Anaheim got Niedermayer + the best line in the league
Detroit's PP relies a lot on Holmstrom in front of the net and Datsyuk's eyes behind the head
Vancouver's is the Sedins show
etc.

Of course not. But it's one way to double-check things. If the top PP is not in your top-five then you double check. There are anomalies, of course, but you investigate them.

There is no single, "right" way. You try to arrive at your conclusion using different means and you prove that you are on the right track if you see a convergence. It's the same as estimating project effort/duration.

19Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League - Page 2 Empty Re: Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:54 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:

I think there might be too many intangibles to forecast next season based on last. Karlsson being here a full year, Gonchar's addition, Phaneuf being there a full year, Subban, etc. etc.

Markov/Subban might be pretty good, but they no-longer have Kovalev, who was also a huge part of that powerplay.

I look at Karlsson's 18 points in his last 16 games, I look at Pittsburgh climbing from bottom-three if not bottom-two to where they finished on the year -- all after Gonchar came back from injury. And I think I have a legitimate reason to get very, very excited at the possibilities. Even without Kovalev regaining his magic we have some very skilled forwards up-front. But I strongly believe that Kovalev will have a rebound year, bolstered by the presence of Gonchar on the back-end. All those dreams of Sochi will keep these Russians motivated. Have you ever been to Sochi? I have, it's very nice. Of course I went probably in August, so I'm not sure how warm it will be in February, but it's got to be better than what poor Wayne Gretzky had to endure in Vancouver.

20Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League - Page 2 Empty Re: Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:07 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
Wazzzuuuupppp Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League - Page 2 43150

21Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League - Page 2 Empty Re: Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:00 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
PKC wrote:

Markov/Subban might be pretty good, but they no-longer have Kovalev, who was also a huge part of that powerplay.

I look at Karlsson's 18 points in his last 16 games, I look at Pittsburgh climbing from bottom-three if not bottom-two to where they finished on the year -- all after Gonchar came back from injury. And I think I have a legitimate reason to get very, very excited at the possibilities. Even without Kovalev regaining his magic we have some very skilled forwards up-front. But I strongly believe that Kovalev will have a rebound year, bolstered by the presence of Gonchar on the back-end. All those dreams of Sochi will keep these Russians motivated. Have you ever been to Sochi? I have, it's very nice. Of course I went probably in August, so I'm not sure how warm it will be in February, but it's got to be better than what poor Wayne Gretzky had to endure in Vancouver.

Cammaleri is as good as Kovalev on that spot, and PLekanec is still lethal.

22Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League - Page 2 Empty Re: Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:02 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Much better now IMO.

23Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League - Page 2 Empty Re: Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:35 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star
Washington's PP has Green - Ovechkin on the blue-line. Definitely not tops as far as defence is concerned, but that is unquestionably the most dangerous point tandem in the league.

Like, I don't see how it's debatable.

EDIT: Oh, now I see your comment.

24Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League - Page 2 Empty Re: Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:45 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star
asq2 wrote:Washington's PP has Green - Ovechkin on the blue-line. Definitely not tops as far as defence is concerned, but that is unquestionably the most dangerous point tandem in the league.

They have two ridiculously hard shots from back there, but also two guys who I think are prone for getting caught on shorthanded opportunities.

25Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League - Page 2 Empty Re: Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:17 am

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
PKC wrote:
asq2 wrote:Washington's PP has Green - Ovechkin on the blue-line. Definitely not tops as far as defence is concerned, but that is unquestionably the most dangerous point tandem in the league.

They have two ridiculously hard shots from back there, but also two guys who I think are prone for getting caught on shorthanded opportunities.

But they're also freaking fast.

26Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League - Page 2 Empty Re: Rank the Top 10 PP Tandems in the League on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:07 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
Our PP better be in the top 10 this season Dammit!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum