GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Predict the Standings!

Predict the Standings!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

46Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:21 pm

PKC

All-Star
All-Star
Cap'n Clutch wrote:One of my favourite things to do before the season starts. I failed miserably when I predicted the West last season so I won't bother this time and stick with the Eastern Conference.

EAST

WAS
PIT
OTT - I know it's a bold statement but I see Gonchar making a big difference along with other things of course.
PHI
NJD
BOS
BUF
MON
---------
NYR
TAM
ATL
TOR
NYI
FLA
CAR

Doesn't have anything to do with a certain "mind-blowing trade" does it?

47Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:06 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
PKC wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:One of my favourite things to do before the season starts. I failed miserably when I predicted the West last season so I won't bother this time and stick with the Eastern Conference.

EAST

WAS
PIT
OTT - I know it's a bold statement but I see Gonchar making a big difference along with other things of course.
PHI
NJD
BOS
BUF
MON
---------
NYR
TAM
ATL
TOR
NYI
FLA
CAR

Nothing earth shattering. I just believe Michalek will have a better and healthier year and as much as people rag on Spezza I see him having a better year too.

48Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:18 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
PKC wrote:

EAST

WAS
PIT
PHI
NJD
BOS
BUF
MON
---------
NYR
TAM
ATL
TOR
NYI
FLA
CAR

Nothing earth shattering. I just believe Michalek will have a better and healthier year and as much as people rag on Spezza I see him having a better year too.

Spezza shouldn't have to carry the puck from his own end to the back of the team's net. His production sky-rocketed once he recovered from his injury, after Karlsson's return from the AHL and Regin's confidence boost/move to the first line. If Kovalev can get going on the PP, and Regin and Michalek put up 25-30 goals each, there's no reason why Spezza can't score 80-100 points this season.

Spezza - 35 goals
Alfie - 34
Michalek- 31
Regin - 28
Kovalev - 25
Fisher - 23
Kelly - 21
Foligno - 19

49Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:35 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star
Not a big fan of Standings predictions, but I have this to say:
IF LEclaire can consistently (well, 70% of the time would be good enough) play like he has in the Playoffs, and Gonchar/Karlsson don't miss more than 10 games each, the Sens are winning the division.

50Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:39 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I friend of mine showed me a goal chart for Michalek with and without Spezza and it's mind-boggling. Michalek is streaky, but you need to put up with that because he scores with Spezza.

Last year - from a psychological POV - Michalek started the year with Spezza, had success scoring, but Spezza was cursed around the net, so Michalek wasn't a part of as many goals, nor was he garnering points from assists - which breeds confidence. Points are obviously a big part of confidence in the NHL. I think Michalek really suffered when Spezza wasn't scoring, his playmkaing skills were going to waste and I think Michalek began thinking he needed to be 'Dany Heatley' in that he'd be a shoot first guy at ALL times.

I think with a fresh training camp and a fresh start with Spezza, he can go back to being Milan Michalek - which is equal part playmaker and goal scorer - if not leaning towards playmaker.

51Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:49 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SpezDispenser wrote:I friend of mine showed me a goal chart for Michalek with and without Spezza and it's mind-boggling. Michalek is streaky, but you need to put up with that because he scores with Spezza.

Last year - from a psychological POV - Michalek started the year with Spezza, had success scoring, but Spezza was cursed around the net, so Michalek wasn't a part of as many goals, nor was he garnering points from assists - which breeds confidence. Points are obviously a big part of confidence in the NHL. I think Michalek really suffered when Spezza wasn't scoring, his playmkaing skills were going to waste and I think Michalek began thinking he needed to be 'Dany Heatley' in that he'd be a shoot first guy at ALL times.

I think with a fresh training camp and a fresh start with Spezza, he can go back to being Milan Michalek - which is equal part playmaker and goal scorer - if not leaning towards playmaker.
nice POV. then if you're right(and i hope you are) that means that there should be a perfect duo as spezza's goal production in the second half of the season was much better. once he decided to shoot at the net the goals came. now this could be a very good line. regin - spezza - michalek. 3 players that both have great playmaking skills and can net the puck. the opposition won't know from where to expect it. that leaves an Alfie fisher kovalev line(can alfie play left?) i love the idea of keeping fisher and kovalev together.

52Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Kovalfie wrote:

Spezza - 35 goals
Alfie - 34
Michalek- 31
Regin - 28
Kovalev - 25
Fisher - 23
Kelly - 21
Foligno - 19

Regin's gonna jump to 28 goals now? I hope so but it's premature to think he will evebn eclipse 20. Same for Michalek.

53Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:57 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Michalek has always been streaky, though. You can't really expect him to score 30+ just because he plays with Spezza (it's Spezza, not Spezky, after all). And if he's on the top line long enough to actually have a crack at 30 that means Regin is on the 2nd line and not getting nearly as many PP minutes.

While, individually, I could see Regin getting 20+ (not 28 for a while, though), and Foligno getting 20+ and Michalek getting close to 30, I just don't see all of that happening in the same season on the same team. There's just so much top-six ice time available. We've got Spezza-Alfie-Kovalev-Fisher-Michalek, which leaves room for one more between Regin and Foligno. Plus injury fill-in time. Then you have the Ruutu-Kelly-Neil line. Whoever doesn't get top-six will likely play on the 4th line. And then there's the unknowns in Wick and Butler. And Shannon is a favorite of Clouston's.

I'll be happy if Regin or Foligno get 20, but I just don't see the two of them scoring more than 35 between them.

Kelly has scored 15 twice in his life (at the NHL level) so expecting him to suddenly get close to his best AHL-totals, in his sixth full season is unrealistic, IMO.

We'll see, I guess. I don't see a problem for Spezza/Alfie reaching those levels. Gonchar and a full year of Karlsson under his wing will help. Heck, maybe Spezza will even go for 40 -- he certainly has the skill and, without trying to always feed Heatley for that one-timer he'll use his shot a lot more. That goal-scoring streak after he came off the IR shows what he's capable of. I'm not foolish enough to suggest he scores 50+ but 40 is not outside the realm of the possible.

I think the Sens will score a lot more goals this year than last, but I'll leave it at that.

54Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:Michalek has always been streaky, though. You can't really expect him to score 30+ just because he plays with Spezza (it's Spezza, not Spezky, after all). And if he's on the top line long enough to actually have a crack at 30 that means Regin is on the 2nd line and not getting nearly as many PP minutes.

While, individually, I could see Regin getting 20+ (not 28 for a while, though), and Foligno getting 20+ and Michalek getting close to 30, I just don't see all of that happening in the same season on the same team. There's just so much top-six ice time available. We've got Spezza-Alfie-Kovalev-Fisher-Michalek, which leaves room for one more between Regin and Foligno. Plus injury fill-in time. Then you have the Ruutu-Kelly-Neil line. Whoever doesn't get top-six will likely play on the 4th line. And then there's the unknowns in Wick and Butler. And Shannon is a favorite of Clouston's.

I'll be happy if Regin or Foligno get 20, but I just don't see the two of them scoring more than 35 between them.

Kelly has scored 15 twice in his life (at the NHL level) so expecting him to suddenly get close to his best AHL-totals, in his sixth full season is unrealistic, IMO.

We'll see, I guess. I don't see a problem for Spezza/Alfie reaching those levels. Gonchar and a full year of Karlsson under his wing will help. Heck, maybe Spezza will even go for 40 -- he certainly has the skill and, without trying to always feed Heatley for that one-timer he'll use his shot a lot more. That goal-scoring streak after he came off the IR shows what he's capable of. I'm not foolish enough to suggest he scores 50+ but 40 is not outside the realm of the possible.

I think the Sens will score a lot more goals this year than last, but I'll leave it at that.

i could see ruutu being demoted to the 4rth line and foligno taking his place till a top6 gets injured.

55Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
wprager wrote:Michalek has always been streaky, though. You can't really expect him to score 30+ just because he plays with Spezza (it's Spezza, not Spezky, after all). And if he's on the top line long enough to actually have a crack at 30 that means Regin is on the 2nd line and not getting nearly as many PP minutes.

i could see ruutu being demoted to the 4rth line and foligno taking his place till a top6 gets injured.

I really don't know how the lines are going to shape up but it seems to me that our top six will likely be:

Regin-Spezza-Michalek
Kovalev-Fisher-Alfie

I mean, the Sens put up decent numbers last year despite having a lackluster power-play. The focus this year will be on an offensive-based system so I can see a lot of players having career years and/or pushing the bar a lot.

56Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:27 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Even with time on the 3rd line it's a far cry from top-six. And, depending on who is on that 4th line (Wick, Butler -- playing against the other team's 4th liners) he may even have a better chance at scoring. But it still always boils down to the ice time.

57Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:18 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
Try this one on for size - the fantastically wonderful magazine The Sporting News (based out of Charlotte N.C. Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 159628 ) have predicted the standings as followed...well, they didn't really predict the standings but they predicted by Division Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 489887 ...so who knows what they're final standings would be in the East and West. We can get somewhat of an idea anyway...

I will post them by Conference and then I will predict my own afterwards;

Anyway, one of these in particular is really good for a laugh;

I have added their little write-up per team beside them

Atlantic Divison

1. Pittsnerd - The Penguins will open their beautiful new building without Sergei Gonchar, but a well-rested Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin should be thirsty to win back the Cup.

2. Philly - After a surprising run to the Finals, the Flyers are trusting goaltender Michael Leighton to finish the job he started Adding puck-moving defenseman Andrej Meszaros should help.

3. Jersey - At press time the Devils had just learned that an arbitrator had upheld the league's rejection of their 17 year contract offer to free agent Ilya Kovalchuk. That was a major blow, but the addition of warrior Anton Volchenkov to the blueline was a nice consolation prize (REALLY?!)

4. Rangers - There's a new sheriff in the Atlantic Division, but will Derek Boogaard be enough to get the Rangers back into the playoffs after they missed out by a single point last year?

5. Islanders - A talented crop of forwards led by John Tavares has the fans on Long Island excited. Unless Rick DiPietro can stand on his own two feet, however, it could be a long year in Uniondale.

Northeast

1. Boston - The big, bad Bruins hope dazzling rookie Tyler Seguin and newcomer Nathan Horton can provide an infusion of offense to a team built to win in the postseason.

2. Barfallo - It's 40 years and counting for Sabres fans waiting for their first parade. To get there, Ryan Miller will need to carry a team that lost two key defensemen to free agency.

3. Ole Ole - With Jaroslav Halak now singing the Blues, the torch - and the pressure - has been passed to goaltender Carey Price. The mission: to lead the Habs to the promised land.

4. Maple Laughs - Patience may be in short supply, but with Captain Dion Phaneuf at the controls the Maple Leafs appear poised to make a steady ascent up the Eastern Conference Standings.

5. Sens - With Sergei Gonchar now manning the point in the Canadian Capital, the Senators' power play could flourish. But is Brian Elliott the answer between the pipes?
Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 105237 Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 260269

Southeast

1. Washington - An easy choice for a fourth straight division banner, but this could be a make-or-break postseason for some personnel and management in D.C.

2. Tampa - How quickly can Steve Yzerman and Guy Boucher clean up the NHL's own mess on the Gulf Coast? Maybe sooner than some pundits might think.

3. Carolina - They are reloading in Raleigh, but a return to good health for Eric Staal and Cam Ward could spur this young team into playoff contention.

4. Atlanta - There are nice role players in place for the Blackhawks, er, Thrashers, but several young players need to step forward and/or rebound this season.

5. Florida - Dale Tallon will have this franchise trending up soon enough, but the on-ice results might not show it this season.

Last edited by SensGirl11 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

58Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:21 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Yeah, we'll never buy that one again.

59Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:25 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star
Did they provide any analysis for the basis of their predictions?

60Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:27 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
SensGirl11 wrote:Try this one on for size - the fantastically wonderful magazine The Sporting News (based out of Charlotte N.C. Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 159628 ) have predicted the standings as followed...well, they didn't really predict the standings but they predicted by Division Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 489887 ...so who knows what they're final standings would be in the East and West. We can get somewhat of an idea anyway...

Atlantic Divison

1. Pittsnerd
2. Philly
3. Jersey
4. Rangers
5. Islanders

Northeast

1. Boston
2. Barfallo
3. Ole Ole
4. Maple Laughs
5. Sens
Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 105237 Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 260269

Southeast

1. Washington
2. Tampa
3. Carolina
4. Atlanta
5. Florida

Honestly, with the obvious exception of the Sens placement, which will probably be 2nd in the division if you ask me, that looks pretty good to me.

Man, I still don't understand the media hate-on for this (relatively speaking) new organization from a rather smallish, quiet town. Seriously, is it because we make the Laffs look so bad? Come on!

61Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:29 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
And the Western Conference not as bad, but still not great;

Central Divison

1. Detroit - The Red Wings are rolling with the team they had last year, plus Jiri Hudler, and should win the division if they stay healthy.

2. Chicago - The Blackhawks lost a lot of depth, but their Fantastic Four - Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook - are still, well, fantastic.

3. Nashville - As usual, the Predators couldn't afford to keep some key players, but they're the Minnesota Twins of the NHL and can't be counted out.

4. St. Louis - The Blues made the boldest offseason deal in the division, trading for playoff star Jaroslav Halak in a move that makes sense for now and later.

5. Columbus - The Blue Jackets suffered last season due in large measure to goalie Steve Mason's sophomore slump. Their season is tied to how he bounces back.

Northwest Divison

1. Vancouver - Knocking on the door for a decade, this could be the year a deep, high-scoring Canucks team breaks through in the playoffs.

2. Calgary - Years of managerial neglect will take a greater toll on the Flames, who didnt' address their lineup needs in the offseason and have relied for too long on Jarome Iginla and Miika Kiprusoff.

3. Colorado - Real deal or one-year wonders? The baby-faced Avalanche will answer that question this season after surprising everyone - including themselves - a year ago.

4. Edmonton - After hitting rock bottom, the Oilers begin the long climb back toward the Stanley Cup. With No. 1 Overall pick Taylor Hall and other potential young stars, they could get there eventually.

5. Minnesota - This franchise it trying to win, but a lack of talent and flexibility under the salary cap make that difficult. The Wild will take baby steps this season.

Pacific Division

1. San Jose - The Sharks will look to build upon some overdue postseason success without longtime goalie Evgeni Nabokov. But look for his free-agent replacement, Antero Niitymaki, and a talented core roster to position San Jose for a serious run at the Stanley Cup.

2. L.A. - How does 20-year-old defenseman Drew Doughty improve upon being a Norris Trophy finalist in just his second NHL season? By continuing to move the Kings upward among the NHL elite.

3. Anaheim - Filling the void left by the retirement of star defenseman Scott Niedermayer will be a difficult task. Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry will get the Ducks on the scoreboard, but skating a makeshift defense could be a tough way to keep the opposition under control.

4. Phoenix - No NHL team was able to better its fortunes more than the Coyotes last season - but they won't be able to sneak up on anyone this year.

5. Dallas - The Stars will look to return to playoff form without longtime producers Mike Modano and Marty Turco. That means center Brad Richards needs to have another outstanding season.

Last edited by SensGirl11 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

62Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:30 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
rooneypoo wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Try this one on for size - the fantastically wonderful magazine The Sporting News (based out of Charlotte N.C. Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 159628 ) have predicted the standings as followed...well, they didn't really predict the standings but they predicted by Division Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 489887 ...so who knows what they're final standings would be in the East and West. We can get somewhat of an idea anyway...

Atlantic Divison

1. Pittsnerd
2. Philly
3. Jersey
4. Rangers
5. Islanders

Northeast

1. Boston
2. Barfallo
3. Ole Ole
4. Maple Laughs
5. Sens

Southeast

1. Washington
2. Tampa
3. Carolina
4. Atlanta
5. Florida

Honestly, with the obvious exception of the Sens placement, which will probably be 2nd in the division if you ask me, that looks pretty good to me.

Man, I still don't understand the media hate-on for this (relatively speaking) new organization from a rather smallish, quiet town. Seriously, is it because we make the Laffs look so bad? Come on!

It's not too bad, but the Northeast is a mess. I don't know what they were smoking when they did that one. The rest looks okayish yes. I do however, think that Philly might finish above Pittsburgh, but that's just me. We shall see!

63Predict the Standings!   - Page 4 Empty Re: Predict the Standings! on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:31 pm

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod
PKC wrote:Did they provide any analysis for the basis of their predictions?

Oops, you're right they did. I will post them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum