GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 63 of 67]

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispenser wrote:I was wrong, bag skate this morning.

Booyah! The hammer comes down. Good thing they had that off-day yesterday

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Michallica wrote:

It might be just a really hard practice, no bags according to James Gordon, but as hard as they come.

PKC

All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispenser wrote:
Michallica wrote:

It might be just a really hard practice, no bags according to James Gordon, but as hard as they come.

To be fair, with the exception of a couple of guys, it's not really about laziness with this team. There have been some bad bounces, some poor positional play and some unlucky breaks (two games in a row a puck has gone in to our net off our own player - Campoli and Ruutu).

But still, these guys aren't competing hard enough yet. I'm not sure what their conditioning is like, but they looked pathetic against Montreal. And that's just not good enough when you're off to a rough start.

Sophomore
Sophomore
San Jose only has 3 points as well, plus Heatley only has one goal vs Michalek's 3. I wonder if everyone in SJ is panicking as well.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
111519 wrote:San Jose only has 3 points as well, plus Heatley only has one goal vs Michalek's 3. I wonder if everyone in SJ is panicking as well.

I remember a certain someone saying this time last year that SJ's time was nigh, that the move to get Heatley had devastated SJ's long-term depth and cap-space, and that he got blasted for thinking so. No names, tho' -- but, hey, just another thing he was right about.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
111519 wrote:San Jose only has 3 points as well, plus Heatley only has one goal vs Michalek's 3. I wonder if everyone in SJ is panicking as well.

They're not pleased, I can assure you of that. Last I looked, they were lamenting their crappy D.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
rooneypoo wrote:

I remember a certain someone saying this time last year that SJ's time was nigh, that the move to get Heatley had devastated SJ's long-term depth and cap-space, and that he got blasted for thinking so. No names, tho' -- but, hey, just another thing he was right about.

Really? I think anyone who has a grasp of the cap could have warned the Sharks about that. It's started already, but it'll get a heck of a lot worse when some of their younger player start getting significant raises too.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Actually, Neely was never very good with the cap thinking back. We had major fights about Boston and about Chicago when I told him there were cap implications coming .

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SpezDispenser wrote:Actually, Neely was never very good with the cap thinking back. We had major fights about Boston and about Chicago when I told him there were cap implications coming .
Neely didn't do cap calculations and didn't do line combos... those were his rules.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Actually, Neely was never very good with the cap thinking back. We had major fights about Boston and about Chicago when I told him there were cap implications coming .
Neely didn't do cap calculations and didn't do line combos... those were his rules.

But he foresaw how taking on Heatley cost SJ depth (Michalek and Ehrhoff) and cap space. He didn't do the numbers, for sure, but he saw it all the same -- although, to be fair, it's taken a little longer to happen than he guessed.

And hell yeah, did he ever get ripped for it by some people. There's still one guy on this site we brings up this point to discredit him whenever he can.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Yet SJ isn't in trouble yet (as it has been 4 games) so this all premature.

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie
rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:

But he foresaw how taking on Heatley cost SJ depth (Michalek and Ehrhoff) and cap space. He didn't do the numbers, for sure, but he saw it all the same -- although, to be fair, it's taken a little longer to happen than he guessed.

And hell yeah, did he ever get ripped for it by some people. There's still one guy on this site we brings up this point to discredit him whenever he can.

Explain how 200k would have kept Ehrhoff? (or added more depth) Or was he advocating that San Jose would be better off buying out Cheechoo, keeping Michalek and the 2.2 (+/-) cap room? (i wasn't really around when he was saying this, so I'm just asking)

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
Amnesia021 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Explain how 200k would have kept Ehrhoff? (or added more depth) Or was he advocating that San Jose would be better off buying out Cheechoo, keeping Michalek and the 2.2 (+/-) cap room? (i wasn't really around when he was saying this, so I'm just asking)

Everything SJ did in the summer of 2009, they did to make room for Heatley. BM wasn't going to settle for junk; SJ offered Ehrhoff and Cheechoo, and we said no (that one is documented pretty much); SJ traded Ehrhoff to VAN for futures basically and got the cap space they needed; then they caved on Michalek (it had to be him or Clowe coming back), and shipped out Cheechoo with him. SJ had to move all that salary (Cheechoo + Michalek + Ehrhoff) to make the Heatley deal happen. It wasn't just $200K -- it was $3 mil+ that made the difference.

In doing so, SJ traded a strong two-way player in Michalek and one of their better offensive D (and a decently capable defensive D, too) in Ehrhoff (plus a cap dump, in Cheechoo) to get a one-dimension player in Heatley.

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie
rooneypoo wrote:
Amnesia021 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Everything SJ did in the summer of 2009, they did to make room for Heatley. BM wasn't going to settle for junk; SJ offered Ehrhoff and Cheechoo, and we said no (that one is documented pretty much); SJ traded Ehrhoff to VAN for futures basically and got the cap space they needed; then they caved on Michalek (it had to be him or Clowe coming back), and shipped out Cheechoo with him. SJ had to move all that salary (Cheechoo + Michalek + Ehrhoff) to make the Heatley deal happen. It wasn't just $200K -- it was $3 mil+ that made the difference.

In doing so, SJ traded a strong two-way player in Michalek and one of their better offensive D (and a decently capable defensive D, too) in Ehrhoff (plus a cap dump, in Cheechoo) to get a one-dimension player in Heatley.

Again though, there has to be more to it than that...

If Cheechoo's cap plus that of Michalek is equal to 7.3 mil and Heatley's cap is equal to 7.5 mil, (200k difference) then Erhoff's 3.1 cap isn't really a factor unless San Jose would have been over the Cap whether they traded for Heatley or not, in which case they very well might have had to trade Erhoff.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star
Amnesia021 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
Amnesia021 wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Again though, there has to be more to it than that...

If Cheechoo's cap plus that of Michalek is equal to 7.3 mil and Heatley's cap is equal to 7.5 mil, (200k difference) then Erhoff's 3.1 cap isn't really a factor unless San Jose would have been over the Cap whether they traded for Heatley or not, in which case they very well might have had to trade Erhoff.

The decision comes down to the same thing -- Heatley (and eating Cheechoo contract in the minors), or Ehrhoff + Michalek.

When SJ traded Ehrhoff, weeks and weeks before they traded for Heatley, they signaled loud and clear what was happening. They moved him specifically to make room for Heatley. No other explanation for that move.

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie
rooneypoo wrote:

The decision comes down to the same thing -- Heatley (and eating Cheechoo contract in the minors), or Ehrhoff + Michalek.

When SJ traded Ehrhoff, weeks and weeks before they traded for Heatley, they signaled loud and clear what was happening. They moved him specifically to make room for Heatley. No other explanation for that move.

(Cutting the other quotes to save space, megabytes don't grow on trees, is what my granddaddy always used to tell me!)

Could you then also include Manny Malhotra to the equation? and maybe to a lesser extent Niclas Wallin? (maybe not: trade deadline pickup, less comparable to ehrhoff)

The Malhotra part was more of a 1-year replacement to Erhoff, I believe they wanted Jason Demers to be Ehrhoff's long term replacement...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
rooneypoo wrote:But he foresaw how taking on Heatley cost SJ depth (Michalek and Ehrhoff) and cap space. He didn't do the numbers, for sure, but he saw it all the same -- although, to be fair, it's taken a little longer to happen than he guessed.

I don't recall him getting ripped for that. It's a 7.5 million dollar contract, this guy better be the player to end all players because he's costing you a ton of cap space.

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie
So... Owen Nolan wants to stage a comeback, would you sign him to a 1-year 1 million dollar contract?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 63 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum