You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Rangers to put Redden on waivers at noon today

Rangers to put Redden on waivers at noon today

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
rooneypoo wrote:Yeah, I'm guessing no one on the planet walks away from $26 million dollars, for any reason.

Absolutely no shot Redden agrees to anything that strips that money away.
Agreed... as he rides the bus... he can count his cash...

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Holy moly... it's happening... he'll be put on waivers at noon today.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/09/25/rangers_redden_waivers/

I am shocked.

Shocked that it's happening or that it took so long?

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Word is the Leafs are going to put Finger on waivers too...

Oh, that reminds me of DGB's recent Signs you are getting cut this week:

Every time you run into anyone from the team's AHL affiliate they seem to be overly friendly towards you, saying things like "Nice to see you, Jeff" and "Talk to you again real soon, Mr. Finger."

Definitely worth a read (better than his latest entry).

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Holy moly... it's happening... he'll be put on waivers at noon today.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/09/25/rangers_redden_waivers/

I am shocked.

Shocked that it's happening or that it took so long?
I'm still amazed it's happening, I didn't think Sather would do it and admit defeat with that contract. Sather has to know that he's on precariously thin ice...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
I'm wondering how this will go down -- buyout is still 2/3 of the total and takes $2+M from their payroll for twice the remaining term; I don't think they can bury him in the minors -- doesn't he have a NMC? Would anyone take him for half on re-entry waivers? I guess if someone owes Slats a favor, but that's still $3.25M per year for the remainder of the term.

Yeah, loaning him to another league would work but the owners would not be happy -- Sather *should be* fired.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
wprager wrote:I'm wondering how this will go down -- buyout is still 2/3 of the total and takes $2+M from their payroll for twice the remaining term; I don't think they can bury him in the minors -- doesn't he have a NMC? Would anyone take him for half on re-entry waivers? I guess if someone owes Slats a favor, but that's still $3.25M per year for the remainder of the term.

Yeah, loaning him to another league would work but the owners would not be happy -- Sather *should be* fired.
Sather gave him a limited NTC... a short list of teams of Redden's choice... no NMC was granted... so they can send him to their AHL team and there's nothing he can do. The "limited NTC" was the only smart thing he did on that contract.

The Rags can't even afford to have him picked up on re-entry... the cap hit would still hurt them.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:I'm wondering how this will go down -- buyout is still 2/3 of the total and takes $2+M from their payroll for twice the remaining term; I don't think they can bury him in the minors -- doesn't he have a NMC? Would anyone take him for half on re-entry waivers? I guess if someone owes Slats a favor, but that's still $3.25M per year for the remainder of the term.

Sather gave him a limited NTC... a short list of teams of Redden's choice... no NMC was granted... so they can send him to their AHL team and there's nothing he can do. The "limited NTC" was the only smart thing he did on that contract.

The Rags can't even afford to have him picked up on re-entry... the cap hit would still hurt them.

Is Hartford on Wade's short list?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
HA HA! It is now...

Wink

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
shabbs wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:Yeah, I'm guessing no one on the planet walks away from $26 million dollars, for any reason.

I've always wondered, do they actually have to ride a bus across North America in the AHL? Why can't they travel by plane?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
shabbs wrote:The plan is to assign him to their AHL team once he clears.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=335085

No doubt he'll clear.

Interesting choice of words. I bet Jacques Martin is lobbying The Ghost to get his favorite player into a Montreal sweater.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran
Big Ev wrote:
shabbs wrote:

[1]I've always wondered, do they actually have to ride a bus across North America in the AHL?
[2]Why can't they travel by plane?

[1]Yes. It is a fancy Donkey bus though.
[2]It's a right a passage you have to earn. Makes you work you Donkey off. You never hear anybody complain because you haven't earned anything yet.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Still, it's just faster to travel by plane...and sitting on a fancy bus is probably similar to sitting on a plane so just use the best mode of transportation, AHL!

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
I would say that the cost of transportation by plane is much, much higher than transportation by (even if it's a fancy) bus

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Yeah that's true haha, didn't even think of that. I'm sure they can get cheap flights at travelocity or something Sarcasm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Bus rides are more bonding. Eight hours on a bus and you will either love your teammates or hate them.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Big Ev wrote:Yeah that's true haha, didn't even think of that. I'm sure they can get cheap flights at travelocity or something Sarcasm

Or Redden can *buy* them a plane.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Yeah, that was my first thought.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
And Kovalev can pilot it.

Sponsored content