GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » Rangers to put Redden on waivers at noon today

Rangers to put Redden on waivers at noon today

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star
Redden on being waived:

from Jeff Jacobs of the Hartford Courant,

So you weren’t surprised by being waived? Not at all, he said.

“Statistically or whatever, I wasn’t doing what a lot of people thought I should have,” Redden said. “I always try to play the same game. Sometimes it doesn’t fit into what teams are looking for. I guess I have to accept that and just move on. It didn’t work out, especially with the salary cap. I wasn’t in their plans. I have to live with that.

“Anything can happen, but certainly [a return to the Rangers] is down on the list of expectations. To be honest, it didn’t go well there. I’ve got to come here and play as well as I can. Obviously, I want to get back to the NHL, but I can’t look down the road. This is the first step. I’m coming here with a fresh slate.”

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
He's coming there with a fresh slate? Umm, no, he's coming there with a target painted on his chest.

Flo The Action

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
REDDEN DISCUSSES DEMOTION TO AHL

While it would be easy to think that Wade Redden is suffering through one of the worst weeks of his life after being placed on waivers and then sent to the minors for the first time in his career, the second overall pick of the 1995 NHL Entry draft admits there is a silver lining.

Prior to being waived on Monday, Redden's wife gave birth to their first child, a baby girl, which has changed his perspective on everything.

"It's hard to go home and not smile at her when you're holding her," Redden said on Friday. "It's a pretty amazing thing."

What has not been so amazing for Redden is the fact that at age 33 he will be lacing them up in the minors for the first time in his career as he reported to the Rangers' AHL affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack on Thursday and practiced with his new team on Friday.

Following a pair of poor seasons in Manhattan, Redden knew that the writing was on the wall.

"I was not totally shocked when (Rangers' general manager) Glen (Sather) called me into the office, but I'm obviously disappointed and not sure what's going to happen from here."

Although he knew for months that his time in New York was likely going to come to an end, it did not make the demotion any easier.

With the Rangers in desperate need to shed some salary, Redden's $6.5 million cap hit became an albatross that the team simply could not afford. Unable to come up with a trade, New York was forced to waive the 13-year veteran before assigning him to the minors. Redden says he holds no bitterness towards the team and understands that his demotion is the price of doing business in the modern NHL.

"When any player is not successful there are obviously repercussions," Redden admitted. "When I look back on how I handled it and how it went. I don't feel good about it but there is nothing that I can do about it now and I've got to move forward."

To Redden's credit he has accepted the demotion and prior to reporting to Hartford got in contact with Wolf Pack head coach Ken Gernander to discuss his role.

"I wanted to let him know that I'm going to come here and just play and try to help the team out as much as I can," said Redden. "I'm not going to come here with an attitude thinking I should be in New York and be a detriment to this team."

It's an attitude that is much appreciated by his new bench boss.

"I think that was very good of him," said Gernander. "It shows that he doesn't hold any grudge to coming down here; that he's proactive. And just like anybody else down here, we want to see him bring his best game."

Gernander is hoping that the two-time All-Star game participant can instill some of his wisdom on the Wolf Pack's younger players who have been very accepting of a player who still has four years and $23 million remaining on his NHL contract.

"It's pretty cool to see a veteran player in the NHL come down and get to play with him in practice," said new Wolf Pack teammate Lee Baldwin. "You learn a lot with him out there and he's just a good presence to have on the ice."

The positive feelings directed his way should be a real change for a player who became the whipping boy for the Madison Square Garden faithful almost immediately after signing a monstrous six-year, $39 million deal in 2008. Despite his massive salary and impressive credentials, Redden managed just five goals and 40 points in 156 games with the Blue Shirts and was a favourite target of the boo-birds at MSG on a nightly basis. Last December his career hit a new low as he found himself a healthy scratch for the first time in his career. He admits that the criticism and pressure got to him.

"I think definitely that has an effect on a person, especially when things don't go well," Redden admitted. "Then you start thinking about it: 'I gotta do more; I'm not doing enough.' You are not thinking about what you should be thinking about."

Redden will have plenty of time to think on the buses between minor league outposts as he ponders his future in hockey.

The only way out right now is if Redden decides to void his contract or the Rangers put him on recallable waivers, which would allow another team to claim him at half of his current salary, with the Rangers picking up the other half of his contract; a situation that is highly unlikely. Redden appears to be stuck in the AHL for the foreseeable future where he will be the highest paid player in league history; earning $81,000 a game, more than many of his new teammates earn over the course of an entire season.

Despite what must be a humbling situation, Redden appears to have the right attitude and is willing to put in the work to make it back to where he feels he belongs.

"I can't sit around and wish I was in the NHL still. I've gotta work my way and try to get back there."

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
pretty classy from redden.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
Over his last few years with the Sens, I gotta be honest and tell you that I've pretty angry at Redden. Right now though I'm kindda pulling for him. Good luck Wade!

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here's some perspective on Redden's salary in the AHL...

"The average AHL player will earn $65,000 this season. Redden will earn $81,000 a game."

From: http://articles.courant.com/2010-09-30/sports/hc-jeff-jacobs-column-0930-20100930_1_big-deal-hockey-world-whalers

Wow.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:Here's some perspective on Redden's salary in the AHL...

"The average AHL player will earn $65,000 this season. Redden will earn $81,000 a game."

From: http://articles.courant.com/2010-09-30/sports/hc-jeff-jacobs-column-0930-20100930_1_big-deal-hockey-world-whalers

Wow.

How long before some fresh-faced punk trying to make a name for himself takes a run at him?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
TheAvatar wrote:Over his last few years with the Sens, I gotta be honest and tell you that I've pretty angry at Redden. Right now though I'm kindda pulling for him. Good luck Wade!

I'll never pull for him. He had it pretty good here and he made a career on the backs of real talent. Then he screwed us by refusing to waive his no trade when he was no longer wanted and he happily Cussed off to the highest bidder.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
PKC wrote:
shabbs wrote:Here's some perspective on Redden's salary in the AHL...

Wow.

How long before some fresh-faced punk trying to make a name for himself takes a run at him?

Like I said a few posts earlier -- he's entering the AHL with a target on his jersey.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
SeawaySensFan wrote:
TheAvatar wrote:Over his last few years with the Sens, I gotta be honest and tell you that I've pretty angry at Redden. Right now though I'm kindda pulling for him. Good luck Wade!

I'll never pull for him. He had it pretty good here and he made a career on the backs of real talent. Then he screwed us by refusing to waive his no trade when he was no longer wanted and he happily Cussed off to the highest bidder.

Don't be hatin' Wink

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Saying he'll never pull for him is not hating. I'm pretty much in the same boat. I was never that impressed with Redden, though, so it's easier to just ignore him.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
imagine all the trash talking redden can do if someone takes a run at him....

"hey Wing Dang Doodle. I just made more than you in this one game than you will working your Donkey off the entire season!"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum