You are not connected. Please login or register

Unbelievable -- someone stole my !#%*& bike!

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 Unbelievable -- someone stole my !#%*& bike! on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:59 am

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
I parked it outside the Metro on March/Carling and went inside to get some goodies for the office. Came out, and the bike was gone. I've been having trouble with my lock (sometimes it takes a few minutes to get it to latch again after opening), and with the time of day and the weather I figured it would be safe to leave it for a few minutes. I was wrong. Luckily it's only a 10-12 minute walk to the office from there, but still. WTH? If someone decided to play a joke on me and left it somewhere around back (I checked the parking lot and around Tim Horton's, but not behind the mall or in the adjoining office tower) and I find out who I'm going to have to be restrained. And it's not like it's a nice bike -- I got it at WalMart over 10 years ago (probably closer to 15). The derailleurs don't work half the time, the rear wheel is warped, the front shock absorber is a cheap piece of crap that's only good for wobbling the front wheel a little. The only things good on that bike were the two LED lights I bought (because since the time change it's pitch black when I come home), the rear tire (which I had to replace recently) and me. And not "me" is not on it any more.

Happy %&*^@ (US) Thanksgiving to the a$$hole that took it. Dammit!

Now, the company benefit plan has a "Wellness Reimbursement" that can be used for things like gym memberships, sports league registrations and so on. It definitely *should* apply to biking in to work, right? And I was going to try to keep biking into December this year. >This< close!


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

Riprock

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Sorry to hear that, that is quite a piss off. I hope you do find the person, but at the same time, if out of this you can get fully or partially compensated on a new bike, that might be a nice gift for you?

As far as you company's policy goes, I think that reimbursing someone who saves the environment and gets exercise at the same time by biking to work would be a decent thing to do.

Good luck and keep us updated on your story.

I guess a Sens win tonight might make you feel better? Sarcasm

SeawaySensFan

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
When I moved to Ottawa as a kid I had my bike stolen almost on arrival. Good times.

PTFlea

avatar
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
That's rubbish. This is what's happening around here these days, it's a little sad frankly.

SensHulk

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
sucks dude. If the company reimbursement doesn't work out, would insurance pay for something like this? I mean this was THEFT and its a valuable asset to you. I'm just beating around the bush here...its not like it was stolen from your house so I doubt they would cover anything.

wprager

avatar
Administrator
Administrator
Technically, I was on the way to work, and I was getting treats for the office (which is sort of policy around here -- first day I was given a company credit card application and told that I was expected to supply my area with treats -- meant to keep the designers in here longer; happy fat programmers are productive programmers? I guess they forgot about "Wally" from Dilbert).

So, technically, my bike was stolen from work.

I remember reading the code of conduct. I'm pretty sure that, if I did something untoward while I was at Metro buying cookies for the office, I would be breaking our company's code of conduct, even though I was not at the office. So, hmm.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

hemlock

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
How is having your bike stolen on the way to work the same as having it stolen AT work?

By that logic,you could crash your car on the way to work, and have them pay the deductible?

The Silfer Server

avatar
Veteran
Veteran
It's not that he was on the way to work at the time. It was that he was performing a duty required by his work at the time. He is expected to buy these treats for work, with work money, thus he is represent his company. As a representative of his company, he needs to act as such, and thus he is bound by the code of conduct.

He's hoping that since he is a representative of the company, and is bound by the code of conduct, that he'll be able argue that his bike would not have been stolen while performing work duties. That this bakery or what not should be considered an extension, of his work area.

It's closer to the logic that if you are sent on business to another country, and are mugged, is the office responsible.

hemlock

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Bass Destruction wrote:It's not that he was on the way to work at the time. It was that he was performing a duty required by his work at the time. He is expected to buy these treats for work, with work money, thus he is represent his company. As a representative of his company, he needs to act as such, and thus he is bound by the code of conduct.

He's hoping that since he is a representative of the company, and is bound by the code of conduct, that he'll be able argue that his bike would not have been stolen while performing work duties. That this bakery or what not should be considered an extension, of his work area.

It's closer to the logic that if you are sent on business to another country, and are mugged, is the office responsible.

It's hardly the same thing. Being sent to another country and doing a coffee run for work (which by the way doesn't sound like it's a set time), are two different things. He was on his own time, using his own transportation. To suggest that his work should be on the hook to replace the bike seems like a stretch to me, especially since he left the damn bike unlocked, by his own admission.

Besides, it's a 15 year old bike. Probably a $10 Tim's Card would be re-imbursement enough. Laughing3

10 Re: Unbelievable -- someone stole my !#%*& bike! on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:30 am

CockRoche

avatar
Veteran
Veteran
I'm not saying I am the one that stole your bike, but I am willing to give it back to you for $5.

Here is proof I may hold in possession your missing bike:

11 Re: Unbelievable -- someone stole my !#%*& bike! on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:33 am

The Silfer Server

avatar
Veteran
Veteran
hemlock wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:It's not that he was on the way to work at the time. It was that he was performing a duty required by his work at the time. He is expected to buy these treats for work, with work money, thus he is represent his company. As a representative of his company, he needs to act as such, and thus he is bound by the code of conduct.

He's hoping that since he is a representative of the company, and is bound by the code of conduct, that he'll be able argue that his bike would not have been stolen while performing work duties. That this bakery or what not should be considered an extension, of his work area.

It's closer to the logic that if you are sent on business to another country, and are mugged, is the office responsible.

It's hardly the same thing. Being sent to another country and doing a coffee run for work (which by the way doesn't sound like it's a set time), are two different things. He was on his own time, using his own transportation. To suggest that his work should be on the hook to replace the bike seems like a stretch to me, especially since he left the damn bike unlocked, by his own admission.

Besides, it's a 15 year old bike. Probably a $10 Tim's Card would be re-imbursement enough. Laughing3

I'm not saying that work should be on the hook either way, I've yet to make a decision; it's just how I interpreted his arguments.

He could argue he wasn't on his own time, since he is expected to buy these treats on his way to work. Also I doubt he tells work that he left it unlocked. If he does, then there is no chance he gets anything.

I'd gladly take the $10 tim's card. You can buy a lot for that. I love their Sausage breakfast sandwiches. Drool

12 Re: Unbelievable -- someone stole my !#%*& bike! on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:37 am

hemlock

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
Bass Destruction wrote:
hemlock wrote:
Bass Destruction wrote:It's not that he was on the way to work at the time. It was that he was performing a duty required by his work at the time. He is expected to buy these treats for work, with work money, thus he is represent his company. As a representative of his company, he needs to act as such, and thus he is bound by the code of conduct.

He's hoping that since he is a representative of the company, and is bound by the code of conduct, that he'll be able argue that his bike would not have been stolen while performing work duties. That this bakery or what not should be considered an extension, of his work area.

It's closer to the logic that if you are sent on business to another country, and are mugged, is the office responsible.

It's hardly the same thing. Being sent to another country and doing a coffee run for work (which by the way doesn't sound like it's a set time), are two different things. He was on his own time, using his own transportation. To suggest that his work should be on the hook to replace the bike seems like a stretch to me, especially since he left the damn bike unlocked, by his own admission.

Besides, it's a 15 year old bike. Probably a $10 Tim's Card would be re-imbursement enough. Laughing3

I'm not saying that work should be on the hook either way, I've yet to make a decision; it's just how I interpreted his arguments.

He could argue he wasn't on his own time, since he is expected to buy these treats on his way to work. Also I doubt he tells work that he left it unlocked. If he does, then there is no chance he gets anything.

I'd gladly take the $10 tim's card. You can buy a lot for that. I love their Sausage breakfast sandwiches. Drool

The work time vs. own time thing is grey area i think. Work may have say they expected him to stop on his time to buy coffee and the like, but they didn't specify when or where (I assume). Like I said though, failing to lock the bike should mean that work shouldn't pay for it regardless of anything else.

I too love the Timmy's. I am a Steeped Tea fan. With the amount I spend at Tim's I should be a majority shareholder by now. Laugh1

13 Re: Unbelievable -- someone stole my !#%*& bike! on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:47 am

The Silfer Server

avatar
Veteran
Veteran
hemlock wrote:The work time vs. own time thing is grey area i think. Work may have say they expected him to stop on his time to buy coffee and the like, but they didn't specify when or where (I assume). Like I said though, failing to lock the bike should mean that work shouldn't pay for it regardless of anything else.

I too love the Timmy's. I am a Steeped Tea fan. With the amount I spend at Tim's I should be a majority shareholder by now. Laugh1

You said it sister...errrr... brother Ahhhhh!

14 Re: Unbelievable -- someone stole my !#%*& bike! on Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:01 pm

rooneypoo

avatar
All-Star
All-Star
On "Kids in the Hall," Bruce Macdonald did a great series of monologues about 'the guy who stole his bike.'

15 Re: Unbelievable -- someone stole my !#%*& bike! on Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:04 pm

Ev

avatar
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Maybe it was a referee .

I joke, I keeeeed. That sucks, who takes a 15-year old bike anyway...probably a homeless guy.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum