New TV - Help please.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16583
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: New TV - Help please.

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:33 am

When I go TV shopping, I do some research before hand, but I always end up picking the TV that looks the best to ME. I think it's hard to go wrong nowadays with any of the major brands, and Sony has always been one of the best when it comes to picture quality (IMO). I have a six-year-old 55" Sony LCD Rear Projection (Grand Wega, 1080i), and I am still incredibly pleased with the set.

Picture quality is always going to be subjective, but I think you made a very wise decision, CockRoche. How's the set look, now that you've had a chance to use it? If you're in need of cables, or you're going to wall-mount it, you can get everything you need at www.monoprice.com. Very cheap cables and mounts, and everything is VERY inexpensive, yet good quality. Please don't buy Monster cables or wall mounts from Future Shop, Best Buy, etc.

As for 3D TVs, I'm with the others that have mentioned it being a waste of time currently. The glasses are a non-starter for me.

TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by TheAvatar on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:07 am

wprager wrote:
    CockRoche wrote:
    wprager wrote:Enjoy. Hope it'll do 3D down the road; by the time the Sens are back in the playoffs they'll probably have 3D for all the post-season games Smile

Most of the TV guys I talked to are not a big proponent of that technology.

A joke is not technology ... .

I smiled at that Smile

Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1565
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Acrobat on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:46 am

somewhere out there, i read an article that showed how close you need to be to see the benefits of the various resolutions. Apparently, for most people, on a 65" screen (what I have, so what I remember), the benefit of 1080p over 720p is only visible if you are closer than 12feet. I would assume that this would scale down with TV size, so it might be closer to 9 feet for a 50" screen.

I know that in our bedroom, we have a 46" placed about 15' away, and i can't really tell the difference if it's in 720p or 1080i modes.

What i'm getting at is that most people end up paying for features, resolution, etc that they don't need. Better to buy the cheaper one that still looks good, and replace it that much sooner.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48480
    Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:57 pm

TheAvatar wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    CockRoche wrote:
    wprager wrote:Enjoy. Hope it'll do 3D down the road; by the time the Sens are back in the playoffs they'll probably have 3D for all the post-season games Smile

Most of the TV guys I talked to are not a big proponent of that technology.

A joke is not technology ... .

I smiled at that Smile

That's actually funny, you're right. It's not what I meant, though. I meant that *I* was making a joke about the Sens not being back in the playoffs until 3D is everywhere.

But it's much better the way you interpreted it Smile

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48480

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:02 pm

Acrobat wrote:somewhere out there, i read an article that showed how close you need to be to see the benefits of the various resolutions. Apparently, for most people, on a 65" screen (what I have, so what I remember), the benefit of 1080p over 720p is only visible if you are closer than 12feet. I would assume that this would scale down with TV size, so it might be closer to 9 feet for a 50" screen.

I know that in our bedroom, we have a 46" placed about 15' away, and i can't really tell the difference if it's in 720p or 1080i modes.

What i'm getting at is that most people end up paying for features, resolution, etc that they don't need. Better to buy the cheaper one that still looks good, and replace it that much sooner.

That's not entirely correct. The comparison between 720p and 1080p -- yes, that I understand. But comparing 720p and 1080i you are also throwing the de-interlacing algorithm into the mix. Plus most of the 720p panels out there are actually have 768 scan lines, while the 1080p sets have 1080. That means that the image *has to be* manipulated some more. There's always an opportunity for some artifacts to creep in when more processing is done.

Also, if you are going to be watching both TV and film you want to make sure the TV does 120 Hz (since both 24 and 30 go into 120 with no remainder -- so no pull-down is required).

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:17 pm

How many TVs do a true 5:5 pulldown though? From what I remember, not too many did. They did some sort of interpolation that did not eliminate the judder as expected.

Higher end Panny Plasmas will run at 96Hz when they have a 24p source. Nice and smooth.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:32 am