You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 67]

hemlock

All-Star
All-Star
marakh wrote:
asq2 wrote:I'm still pissed that we (Karlsson-Phillips) were so close to shutting him down and EK was so close to getting that third goal. The game could have been summarized as "Karlsson shuts down Crosby and simultaneously scores hattrick" but instead it's become just another "Crosby extends streak" game.

We're probably not making the playoffs, so that would have been the highlight of the season. But I guess it's better for us contract-wise if Karlsson remains a little under the radar league-wide.

Let's stay low-profile, a poor version of the Red Wings.

As for the "Crosby is the best player in the world right now" poll, Yeah probably.
All things considered (talent, work ethic, humility and character), I still take Pavel Datsyuk before him.

Crosby has all those things too though.

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star
hemlock wrote:
marakh wrote:
asq2 wrote:I'm still pissed that we (Karlsson-Phillips) were so close to shutting him down and EK was so close to getting that third goal. The game could have been summarized as "Karlsson shuts down Crosby and simultaneously scores hattrick" but instead it's become just another "Crosby extends streak" game.

We're probably not making the playoffs, so that would have been the highlight of the season. But I guess it's better for us contract-wise if Karlsson remains a little under the radar league-wide.

As for the "Crosby is the best player in the world right now" poll, Yeah probably.
All things considered (talent, work ethic, humility and character), I still take Pavel Datsyuk before him.

Humility? No, Did you see him call out the refs against us 2 days ago in the post game? Datsyuk will never do that. Granted, Maybe because he can't speak proper english General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 6 270956 but still, he's be the last guy to complain.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
hemlock wrote:
marakh wrote:

Exactly, Crosby has more talent and is the hardest worker in the league. Humility and character are also great qualities of his as well (doesn't care about being in the spotlight, always takes care of his fans, etc.)

Datsyuk is great but he's not at Crosby's level. He's better at D and at stickhandling/deking but Crosby isn't far behind, and he is better than Dats at just about everything else.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Can you remember the last time you saw Datsyuk in an ad? Can you remember the last time you sat in front of the TV for an hour *without* seeing a Crosby ad?

Enough, already.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Why would you ever see Datsyuk in a national ad in Canada? scratch I'm sure he's in ads in Detroit.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran
Big Ev wrote:Why would you ever see Datsyuk in a national ad in Canada? scratch I'm sure he's in ads in Detroit.

I'm scratching my head at your comment. Do you mean that you are sure Datsyuk is in ads in Russia?

hemlock

hemlock
All-Star
All-Star
marakh wrote:
hemlock wrote:
marakh wrote:

Humility? No, Did you see him call out the refs against us 2 days ago in the post game? Datsyuk will never do that. Granted, Maybe because he can't speak proper english General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 6 270956 but still, he's be the last guy to complain.

That's a lack of humility? Because he speaks his mind he's labelled a whiner etc, while other guys are lauded for it (read Ovechkin). The guy is as humble as they come. He could walk around with a huge chip on his shoulder but doesn't. Besides, he's got just as much work ethic as Datsyuk and he puts up point totals that Datsyuk only dreams of, and he does it with wingers that a way less talented than what Datsyuk is given on a nightly basis.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
CockRoche wrote:
Big Ev wrote:Why would you ever see Datsyuk in a national ad in Canada? scratch I'm sure he's in ads in Detroit.

I'm scratching my head at your comment. Do you mean that you are sure Datsyuk is in ads in Russia?

No I don't mean that, If I meant that I would have typed that. He's a Detroit Red Wing, so I'm sure he's in ads in Detroit (ads for local business and such).

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran
Big Ev wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

No I don't mean that, If I meant that I would have typed that. He's a Detroit Red Wing, so I'm sure he's in ads in Detroit (ads for local business and such).

OK, so why are we seeing ads in Canada about Crosby? Shouldn't only GM Hockey member Number Twenty Nine see Crosby ads because forum member "#29" lives in Pittsburgh.

I don't agree with Wprager's reasoning (the advertising angle) for Crosby being the best, but I didn't and still don't understand your rebuttal.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran
The Canucks are taking it to the Flyers right now. What a play by Burrows to set up Daniel Sedin.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I don't even need to explain why Crosby is marketed nationally in Canada/North America. A monkey could figure that one out.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran
Haha. I understand that, but are you saying that Datsyuk is more advertised in Detroit than Crosby would be?

This is not a heavy conversation by any means, but I think we have our wires crossed. I will drop it and just leave it at that.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran
CockRoche wrote:This is for all you conspiracy lovers.

The Leafs were down one goal late in the game against the Hurricanes; when they drew/were given 2 powerplays in an effort to get the tying goal.

Leafs finished the game 2 for 8 on the powerplay; Canes 1 for 3.

Isn't it sort of weird that the Leafs are the 3rd youngest team in the league, yet Toronto has been shorthanded the fewest amount of times in the entire league? Usually and statistically, the younger players are the ones that take the most minors.

Not only do the Leafs young guys not take penalties, they seem to draw quite a few. Toronto has the 6th most powerplay opportunities in the NHL. The 5 teams that have drawn more penalties than the Leafs are Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Calgary, Detroit and San Jose. Those 5 teams are all in the Top 15 for oldest average team age. Again, the Leafs are the 3rd youngest team in the league, but they draw the 6th most PP in the league.

Ottawa has the 2nd fewest powerplay opportunities in the league and have been shorthanded 11th most.

Digest that meal if you wish.

Just after I say this, I see TSN has Hurricanes Coach Paul Maurice's post game presser:

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip394380

I'm smiling inside.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
CockRoche wrote:

Why would we ever see Crosby on a national ad in Canada? He plays in Pennsylvania.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:
CockRoche wrote:

Why would we ever see Crosby on a national ad in Canada? He plays in Pennsylvania.

That's what I was trying to say. I thought BigEv got his argument/words mixed up, but he says he didn't.

IMO, the advertising angle is a pretty bad way to defend Crosby as the best player on the planet anyway. I look more at on the ice play. It was you Wprager that first mentioned the sponsorship thing; BigEv jumped on it and that is where it got even more confusing in my mind.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran
Mike Richards just let up on a hit on Daniel Sedin. Maybe the new rules are having an impact. He could have David Boothed him.

Kesler is amazing.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
My point was that a truly humble guy would not have his face plastered all over the place. I'm sure at the start there was pressure on him to be the face of the NHL and all that, but he's no-longer just Timbits and Nike. And, frankly, there are ways of getting him to promote the NHL that doesn't result in him lining his pockets with yet more money.

I find it hard to admire Sid as a player because of the circus and the circus freaks surrounding him. And maybe it's time to stop giving him the "excuse" of poor linemates. His salary and that of Malkin has a lot to do with why Pittsburgh cannot afford star wingers. He plays with Malkin on the PP, and that hasn't gone well at all. All the guys he plays with are regular NHLers -- we're not talking about Matt Spezza filling in for some drills -- don't sell those guys short. True, Crosby makes them better but that's why he's making all that money. Do you really think he'd have more points playing with Hossa? I'm not so sure, because playing with Malkin against 4 opposition skaters has been pretty lacklustre.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
wprager wrote:My point was that a truly humble guy would not have his face plastered all over the place. I'm sure at the start there was pressure on him to be the face of the NHL and all that, but he's no-longer just Timbits and Nike. And, frankly, there are ways of getting him to promote the NHL that doesn't result in him lining his pockets with yet more money.

I find it hard to admire Sid as a player because of the circus and the circus freaks surrounding him. And maybe it's time to stop giving him the "excuse" of poor linemates. His salary and that of Malkin has a lot to do with why Pittsburgh cannot afford star wingers. He plays with Malkin on the PP, and that hasn't gone well at all. All the guys he plays with are regular NHLers -- we're not talking about Matt Spezza filling in for some drills -- don't sell those guys short. True, Crosby makes them better but that's why he's making all that money. Do you really think he'd have more points playing with Hossa? I'm not so sure, because playing with Malkin against 4 opposition skaters has been pretty lacklustre.

I disagree with most of this, but I'll just say a couple of things. Crosby is offered sponshorship and ad opportunities by hundreds of companies but picks only the ones he really cares about (most of them are Canadian-only companies). Plus he's a Reebok guy, I don't think he's ever been attached to Nike.

By the way, "all that money"? He doesn't even make a huge salary when you think about it. $8.7 million for a player like him is peanuts IMO. We pay that toolbag Spezza $7 million and he does nothing to make anyone around him better.

I don't think it's right to call a guy not humble because he appears in ads. As a league, you NEED your star players to be marketed. Peyton Manning is one of the most humble guys in sports and he is in a lot of ads. I wasn't around then but I would believe that Mario and Wayne were heavily marketed as well.

I suggest you watch HBO's 24/7 and you will see that there really isn't a circus surrounding him at all. He's just a normal dude. He's very much like Daniel Alfredsson but just advertised everywhere.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum