You are not connected. Please login or register

» The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 63 of 67]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
tim1_2 wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Holy Dung, TB have waived Mike Smith.

Why is this surprising? Please don't suggest we should claim him.

Biggish ticket, many concussion issues, just didn't see TB waiving him. I thought they'd ride it out until his contract expires.

And no, we have no need for an(other) injury prone goalie.

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Yeah, Mike Smith would be the second coming of a less talented Pascal Leclaire.

Tampa's got to be hoping someone picks him up in order to get that $2.2M salary off the books. They can't like paying that for a third-string goalie. It's not about the cap for them...it's about their own internal budget.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stortini clears waivers.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
spader wrote:
marakh wrote:Anyone heard that guy on the TEam 1200 the other day, used to work with the Islanders management team in 2008 when they drafted Bailey.
He said the Islanders scouting staff were ready to draft BPA, but Ownership intervened, so they traded down and took Josh Bailey because he would max out at a 3-4 million player instead of a 6-7M player.

THis is just disgusting to hear, I hope the fans don't know that. And to think Wang is Cussing loaded with $$$ General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 63 853109

Forgive my ignorance. Who is BPA?

wprager wrote:Best Player Available.

I wonder if I would have figured it out if marakh had included a "the" before "BPA."

Either way, who's the $6-7M prospect that they avoided? Filatov? Shenn?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
spader wrote:
spader wrote:
marakh wrote:Anyone heard that guy on the TEam 1200 the other day, used to work with the Islanders management team in 2008 when they drafted Bailey.
He said the Islanders scouting staff were ready to draft BPA, but Ownership intervened, so they traded down and took Josh Bailey because he would max out at a 3-4 million player instead of a 6-7M player.

THis is just disgusting to hear, I hope the fans don't know that. And to think Wang is Cussing loaded with $$$ General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league - Page 63 853109

Forgive my ignorance. Who is BPA?

wprager wrote:Best Player Available.

I wonder if I would have figured it out if marakh had included a "the" before "BPA."

Either way, who's the $6-7M prospect that they avoided? Filatov? Shenn?
I'd guess Schenn. They had the 5th pick. Leafs took Schenn at that spot with their pick. Filatov and C. Wilson would have been options as forwards for them. Were they looking for a forward or d-man at the time?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I hadn't heard that, that's pathetic.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
I can't believe that. They drafted Tavares, and you don't think he will be a top paid talent in the NHL?

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran
Dash wrote:I can't believe that. They drafted Tavares, and you don't think he will be a top paid talent in the NHL?

I heard they were hoping someone was going to offer a trade with a player with a more palatable salary. I think Chris Kelly (don't want to trade him but I think that would be worthwhile) and a 2nd for Tavares would work. (TA 3.5)

More to come ...

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Dash wrote:I can't believe that. They drafted Tavares, and you don't think he will be a top paid talent in the NHL?

Plus, why not just draft the 7 million dollar player - and when he lives up to that potential, then trade him for the moon.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Yeah I thought of that too. Makes no sense. Then again, that seems to be what Florida does - trade your stars every time they ask for too much. It's a vicious cycle that sees the fans disappointed constantly.

The Islanders wanted Bailey for his play - period. They also got a lot of extra picks by trading down.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Dash wrote:Yeah I thought of that too. Makes no sense. Then again, that seems to be what Florida does - trade your stars every time they ask for too much. It's a vicious cycle that sees the fans disappointed constantly.

The Islanders wanted Bailey for his play - period. They also got a lot of extra picks by trading down.

Did they? Is that the year they flipped a ton of picks for De Haan?

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispenser wrote:
Dash wrote:Yeah I thought of that too. Makes no sense. Then again, that seems to be what Florida does - trade your stars every time they ask for too much. It's a vicious cycle that sees the fans disappointed constantly.

Did they? Is that the year they flipped a ton of picks for De Haan?

That was the next year. Bailey went in '08, de Haan in '09.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Round one notes

1.* The New York Islanders' first-round pick went to the Toronto Maple Leafs
as the result of a trade on June 20, 2008, that sent the 7th-overall
pick and either the 60th-overall pick and a third-round pick in 2009 or the 68th-overall pick and a second-round pick in 2009 in exchange for this pick.
2.* The Toronto Maple Leafs' first-round pick went to the Nashville Predators as the result of a trade on June 20, 2008, that sent the 9th-overall pick and the 40th-overall pick to the New York Islanders in exchange for this pick.
New York Islanders acquired previously as the result of a trade on June
20, 2008, that sent the 5th-overall pick to Toronto in exchange for
either the 60th-overall pick and a third-round pick in 2009 or the 68th-overall pick and a second-round pick in 2009 and this pick.
3.* The Florida Panthers' first-round pick went to the New York Islanders as the result of to a trade on June 20, 2008, that sent the 7th-overall pick to the Nashville Predators in exchange for the 40th-overall pick and this pick.
Nashville acquired previously as the result of a trade prior to the 2007 entry draft that sent Tomas Vokoun to Florida for second-round picks in 2007 and 2008, and this pick.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
Dash wrote:Round one notes

1.* The New York Islanders' first-round pick went to the Toronto Maple Leafs
as the result of a trade on June 20, 2008, that sent the 7th-overall
pick and either the 60th-overall pick and a third-round pick in 2009 or the 68th-overall pick and a second-round pick in 2009 in exchange for this pick.
2.* The Toronto Maple Leafs' first-round pick went to the Nashville Predators as the result of a trade on June 20, 2008, that sent the 9th-overall pick and the 40th-overall pick to the New York Islanders in exchange for this pick.
New York Islanders acquired previously as the result of a trade on June
20, 2008, that sent the 5th-overall pick to Toronto in exchange for
either the 60th-overall pick and a third-round pick in 2009 or the 68th-overall pick and a second-round pick in 2009 and this pick.
3.* The Florida Panthers' first-round pick went to the New York Islanders as the result of to a trade on June 20, 2008, that sent the 7th-overall pick to the Nashville Predators in exchange for the 40th-overall pick and this pick.
Nashville acquired previously as the result of a trade prior to the 2007 entry draft that sent Tomas Vokoun to Florida for second-round picks in 2007 and 2008, and this pick.

Those are the notes from the '08 draft. It was in '09 that they traded with Minny to get de Haan.

1.* The Minnesota Wild's first-round pick went to the New York Islanders as the result of a trade on June 26, 2009 that sent a first-round pick (#16 overall), a third-round pick (#77 overall) in 2009 and a seventh-round pick (#182 overall) in 2009 to Minnesota in exchange for this pick.[5]

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Yeah but I was talking about the 2008 draft. I said they traded down to get Bailey and ended up getting picks in the process.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Holy Dung, that's quite the transaction list. Vertigo

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
Dash wrote:Yeah but I was talking about the 2008 draft. I said they traded down to get Bailey and ended up getting picks in the process.

My bad. I thought you were trying to answer SD's question.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Dude, the guy that was on the radio was there, at the Islanders draft table. Too bad I don't remember his position on the management team. No reason whatsoever to lie about that.

Also, Tavares was hyped too much, fans got excited, he basically brought hundreds of season tickets. No way they could have avoided that. You can trade down from 5th, not from 1st overall.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 63 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum