Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Money for Nothing, except to pay fines

Post by Riprock on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:54 am

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/Dire+Straits+member+decries+CBSC+ruling/4113169/story.html

So the CBSC (Canadian Broadcast Standards Council) has banned unedited versions of Dire Straits "Money For Nothing" from radio play due to the use of the term "faggot". It's been recently edited from "faggot" to "mother" and now Mark Knopfler will edit it to "fudger" to appease the CBSC.

To me this is all so very conservative and makes Canada look really uptight.

The original use of the term "faggot" in this song is frustration coming from jock-type guys working labour jobs getting paid very little while these "little faggots" (their way of describing flashy, flamboyant and charismatic, rock-stars) who are getting paid millions for doing something very "easy".

Pretty pathetic though.

Original:

Last edited by Dash on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54585
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Money for Nothing, except to pay fines

Post by PTFlea on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:54 am

Pathetic.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:59 am

Well done Mark Knopfler. Fudger is clearly "fudgepacker" which should be more offensive, quite frankly. Clever.
    The Silfer Server
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2270
    Registration date : 2008-10-14

Post by The Silfer Server on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:15 pm

How is this pathetic??? He uses the term "faggot" as a derision against rockstars. Would it be ok if instead of "faggot" he dropped an 'n' bomb? And if he did, should that be allowed to play on the radio?

The CBSC isn't banning it from shows, or being played in bars, only from being played on the radio. I have zero problem with that, and furthermore, support it.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:01 pm

Bass Destruction wrote:How is this pathetic??? He uses the term "faggot" as a derision against rockstars. Would it be ok if instead of "faggot" he dropped an 'n' bomb? And if he did, should that be allowed to play on the radio?

The CBSC isn't banning it from shows, or being played in bars, only from being played on the radio. I have zero problem with that, and furthermore, support it.

+1
    hemlock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5005
    Registration date : 2009-06-20

Post by hemlock on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:07 pm

Bass Destruction wrote:How is this pathetic??? He uses the term "faggot" as a derision against rockstars. Would it be ok if instead of "faggot" he dropped an 'n' bomb? And if he did, should that be allowed to play on the radio?

The issue I have is the timing. 25 years later? Really?

Does anyone listen to radio anymore anyway? Satellite is where it's at.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:13 pm

I guess Lou Reed's colored chicks won't be singing "do de doo de doo..." anymore either.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:21 pm

He's a rock star Facepalm He's referring to himself and only in the manner in that he sings about - jealous jocks being mad at these nerds that are rich and famous and get all the chicks.

There's a whole lot worse out there being sung that nobodies cries about.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54585
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:37 pm

No one listens to radio anyway, but if they did, I'd suggest they check out some of the lyrics in rap songs.
    LethalLehner
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 783
    Registration date : 2008-08-26

Post by LethalLehner on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:04 pm

IMO, the song was written from the perspective of someone that was attacking the whole MTV generation of musicians and the general excess of the 80s. Whether there is an underlying theme of homophobia, through the use of the word "faggot", can't be assumed and only the writer of the song can provide some insight.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:25 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_for_Nothing_%28song%29#Musical_and_lyrical_themes

The recording of the song contains a very recognizable hook, in the form of the guitar riff that begins the song proper. (The song is also notable for its extended overture, which was shortened for radio and music video). The guitar riff continues throughout the song, played in full during each chorus, and played in muted permutation during the verse.

The song's lyrics are written from the point of view of a working-class man watching music videos and commenting on what he sees. To achieve the effect of such a layman making such casual everyday commentary envying the superior lives of rock stars, Dire Straits' lead singer and songwriter Mark Knopfler used a vocal style known as Sprechstimme.

Knopfler described the writing of the song in a 1985 interview with critic Bill Flanagan:
    The lead character in "Money for Nothing" is a guy who works in the hardware department in a television/custom kitchen/refrigerator/microwave appliance store. He's singing the song. I wrote the song when I was actually in the store. I borrowed a bit of paper and started to write the song down in the store. I wanted to use a lot of the language that the real guy actually used when I heard him, because it was more real....

In 2000, Knopfler appeared on Michael Parkinson's interview program and explained again where the lyrics originated. According to Knopfler, he was in New York and stopped by an appliance store. At the back of the store, they had a wall of TVs which were all tuned to MTV. Knopfler said there was a man working there dressed in a baseball cap, work boots, and a checkered shirt delivering boxes who was standing next to him watching. As they were standing there watching MTV, Knopfler remembers the man coming up with classic lines such as "what are those, Hawaiian noises?...that ain't workin" etc. Knopfler asked for a pen to write some of these lines down and then eventually put those words to music.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20939
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:32 pm

So lame, it's just a word! Do the people who get offended by the word "faggot" really listen to classic rock anyway?
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20939
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:32 pm

and I still listen to the radio every time I'm driving
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48176

Post by wprager on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:50 am

Can't take the word out of context, and in-context it is not offensive. It's like Archie Bunker saying "You dumb Polack" in prime-time (and a few worse). The context there is that Archie Bunker is a negative hero -- he is the object of derision and not Mike.

The context *here* is a disgruntled blue-collar worker talking about a glam rockstar, and the guy actually performing the song *is* the little faggot.

I remember many years ago a very smart man using "Centerfold" as a focal point in a sermon on how corrupted our society had become, when

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:39 am

Was there hatred intended with that lyric? No. This is unbelievable.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:28 pm