You are not connected. Please login or register

Would anyone consider themselves a computer wiz?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I have a Dell laptop and it's running on XP thankfully.

My problem, however, is that it often tells me I'm running out of Virtual memory despite seemingly having only 1 or 2 applications open.

Clearly there's crap running in the back ground that's eating up virtual memory but how do I figure this out? I have an anti-virus program from Bell running and other than that it's usually just a web browser and maybe a word document.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Next time around make a separate data partition and keep all your data (My Documents, My Pictures, etc., plus any other folder for any applications you can think of, like your browser profile that keeps your bookmarks, saved passwords and so on, your e-mail address book and cached mail, pretty much everything) there. Keep only the OS and any installed programs on C: the rest on D: (D for data Wink ) Any programs you download and install, keep the download file on D as well.

And don't click any links Smile

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:Next time around make a separate data partition and keep all your data (My Documents, My Pictures, etc., plus any other folder for any applications you can think of, like your browser profile that keeps your bookmarks, saved passwords and so on, your e-mail address book and cached mail, pretty much everything) there. Keep only the OS and any installed programs on C: the rest on D: (D for data Wink ) Any programs you download and install, keep the download file on D as well.

Was that for Big Ev or for me?

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:Next time around make a separate data partition and keep all your data (My Documents, My Pictures, etc., plus any other folder for any applications you can think of, like your browser profile that keeps your bookmarks, saved passwords and so on, your e-mail address book and cached mail, pretty much everything) there. Keep only the OS and any installed programs on C: the rest on D: (D for data Wink ) Any programs you download and install, keep the download file on D as well.

or get a Mac

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Number Twenty Nine wrote:

or get a Mac

Good plan. I just happen to have an extra couple grand lying around.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Nothing's working so I'm bringing it into Carleton.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Update: My computer was deemed too corrupted, so I had to re-install my operating system from scratch. Back to Vista Crying but at least it's working now.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Sorry I got in too late to save you from doing a format. If you can get in Safe Mode (even without networking), you could've tried doing a System Restore. Another option would've been to use whatever windows disc you have and try an installation repair. Another option, once you're in safe mode, is to try running some spyware/virus scanning software (SpyBot, etc...).

Anyways, good luck with your fresh install!

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Hey Tim,

Yeah I was able to get into Safe Mode (only a few times) and did about 3 System Restores, and also ran my virus scan. The restores did nothing and it crashed every time. I also tried running my virus scanner, but it never worked in Safe Mode.

Ah well, I didn't have anything important on my old computer, and Vista's not that bad I guess haha

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
These guys are good with computers:

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
I've had good luck with the installation repair using the windows disc, but that only works if you have the right disc I suppose...you can boot from the CD (or DVD) and go from there, so it doesn't even require logging in to Safe Mode. Oh well, a fresh install never hurts (unless you lose all your por..I mean, family pictures and legally-purchased movies).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Would anyone know if it's ok to install a 32-bit Windows 7 on a 64-bit system?

22_4_ever

22_4_ever
Sophomore
Sophomore
The answer is yes you can install 32 bit software on a 64 bit system but it's a lot like putting a VW engine in a ferarri. Doesn't make much sense.

The OS is what controls memory allocation/consumption etc. By installing a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit system you essentially render the upper 32 bits of memory and processing useless. You're restricting how fast your system can run. You'd be better off installing Linux on it and letting those horses run.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Linux does not equal Windows. If hes running Windows, chances are, he wants to run Windows.

But if you can get the 64 bit version, that's what you should do. Unless you don't want to spend the money, or don't do anything on your computer that requires lots of computing power.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
It's not 100% necessary, but I just really liked Windows 7. I got the free upgrade to Windows 7 from Carleton, but I never kept the disc, and you are only allowed 1 free download. My only other option is the 32-bit one (or, x86 or whatever it's called).

Again, not a big deal, I will probably just stick with Vista for now.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
I got a free Windows 7 upgrade too, from Dell when I purchased my laptop.... and same thing happened, my harddrive died and I had to get a new one from Dell, but in the process I lost the upgrade.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum