Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 5050
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Deckster.ca

Post by SensGirl11 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Good afternoon all!

I thought it would be okay for me to plug this here since it's a huge thing for my family.

My sister and brother-in-law have just launched an awesome product that I am sure will interest some of you. They have spent many many hours of work and sweat and tears on this project. It is now finally getting off the ground!!

I am extremely excited for them and I think this could get pretty big with the right people being made aware of it.

The product is called Deckster First Class

I will not go into further detail here about what it is and what it does since they already have the site up for you to see for yourselves. They also already created a commercial for it on the bottom left hand corner of the main page.

Please check it out and don't be shy to pre-order one if you are interested.

Thanks!!!

http://www.deckster.ca/

Last edited by SensGirl11 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Re: Deckster.ca

Post by spader on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Looks like a good product. All the best to them.
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Post by SensGirl11 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks Spader!

Also, it would be awesome if you guys have any feedback or questions to post here, I can ask them and get back to you about it.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:36 pm

Haha. My only suggestion is to try and get on DD.
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Post by SensGirl11 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:37 pm

spader wrote:Haha. My only suggestion is to try and get on DD.

That is a great suggestion actually...I wonder if they already thought of that..
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13620
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:38 pm

My question is how is this better or different than just buying an Ipod Nano? I'm not trying to be rude I am just curious. As an outsider who doesn't know much about this stuff it just looks like an Ipod with a wrist watch band attached to it.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:52 pm

SensGirl11 wrote:
    spader wrote:Haha. My only suggestion is to try and get on DD.

That is a great suggestion actually...I wonder if they already thought of that..

Actually, I do have one more suggestion. Since this is a product made for the Nano, I'd seriously consider trying to license it to Apple. Let them spend a kajillion dollars marketing the product rather than trying to create a separate brand as an after-market, companion-product company. Brand development costs a lot of money (kajillions!). Licensing takes the guess work (as well as a lot of the risk) out of it and provides much greater access to an existing market.

Just my 2 cents.
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Post by SensGirl11 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:My question is how is this better or different than just buying an Ipod Nano? I'm not trying to be rude I am just curious. As an outsider who doesn't know much about this stuff it just looks like an Ipod with a wrist watch band attached to it.

Any question is appreciated!

It's a watch that you can put your nano in for safe keeping. I believe the concept for them was to be able to have a very secure place to put your nano since they are so small and can be lost easily. This is a way to keep it secure, and to also be able to see what time it is. That's my take on it, I could be wrong.

I will definitely ask them to come here and answer all of your questions though so that we can have a better understanding of it.

Thanks Clutch!

Last edited by SensGirl11 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Post by SensGirl11 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:53 pm

My bad, I was just told that they don't sell the nano, just the watch.

Good thing I asked!
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:01 pm

It sounds like a pretty niche market with not much competition right now. Are they concerned that bigger companies will catch on and squeeze them out?
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:02 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:It sounds like a pretty niche market with not much competition right now. Are they concerned that bigger companies will catch on and squeeze them out?

They have a patent pending on the product according to the website. I'm sure that's not a major concern.

Again, I think a licensing deal is the way to go.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:05 pm

spader wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:It sounds like a pretty niche market with not much competition right now. Are they concerned that bigger companies will catch on and squeeze them out?

They have a patent pending on the product according to the website. I'm sure that's not a major concern.

True but it's not so totally unique that it can't be replicated in a way that doesn't violate their patent is what I'm trying to say. Big companies find ways to do this kind of thing and they'll be more readily available in mass production when compared to the Deckster. I think it's a valid question.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    spader wrote:

True but it's not so totally unique that it can't be replicated in a way that doesn't violate their patent is what I'm trying to say. Big companies find ways to do this kind of thing and they'll be more readily available in mass production when compared to the Deckster. I think it's a valid question.

Fair enough. Depends entirely on the wording of the patent. It could be fairly all encompassing, particularly if the patent refers to it being worn on the wrist. It may only be on the locking mechanism, in which case Apple (or whoever) would just have to come up with their own mechanism.
    Your question is valid, though the patent may be strong enough to protect them. Either way, licensing the product to Apple deals with all of that.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:14 pm

That would definitely be the move to make for sure if Apple is interested in doing that and not trying to do it on their own. The Patent, as I understand it, which is very little, can't be too all encompassing by nature. You can't be broad in a patent as far as I understand it you have to patent something specific and unique about the product.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:16 pm

On a positive note, this product makes me more interested in an iPod nano than I would have been otherwise. It helps that I don't own a watch or an MP3 player, but still.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:43 pm