All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10055
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Re: Deckster.ca

Post by spader on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:11 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:It sounds like a pretty niche market with not much competition right now. Are they concerned that bigger companies will catch on and squeeze them out?

They have a patent pending on the product according to the website. I'm sure that's not a major concern.

Again, I think a licensing deal is the way to go.

True but it's not so totally unique that it can't be replicated in a way that doesn't violate their patent is what I'm trying to say. Big companies find ways to do this kind of thing and they'll be more readily available in mass production when compared to the Deckster. I think it's a valid question.

Fair enough. Depends entirely on the wording of the patent. It could be fairly all encompassing, particularly if the patent refers to it being worn on the wrist. It may only be on the locking mechanism, in which case Apple (or whoever) would just have to come up with their own mechanism.
    Your question is valid, though the patent may be strong enough to protect them. Either way, licensing the product to Apple deals with all of that.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13608
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:14 pm

That would definitely be the move to make for sure if Apple is interested in doing that and not trying to do it on their own. The Patent, as I understand it, which is very little, can't be too all encompassing by nature. You can't be broad in a patent as far as I understand it you have to patent something specific and unique about the product.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24763
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:16 pm

On a positive note, this product makes me more interested in an iPod nano than I would have been otherwise. It helps that I don't own a watch or an MP3 player, but still.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by spader on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:19 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:That would definitely be the move to make for sure if Apple is interested in doing that and not trying to do it on their own. The Patent, as I understand it, which is very little, can't be too all encompassing by nature. You can't be broad in a patent as far as I understand it you have to patent something specific and unique about the product.

True. However, assuming they are the first to market such a device, it's absolutely possible that they've patented the "wrist strap iPod Nano holder" nature of the product, as that's unique to the market right now. Really, what matters is how good a patent lawyer they hired.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:20 pm

spader wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:That would definitely be the move to make for sure if Apple is interested in doing that and not trying to do it on their own. The Patent, as I understand it, which is very little, can't be too all encompassing by nature. You can't be broad in a patent as far as I understand it you have to patent something specific and unique about the product.

True. However, assuming they are the first to market such a device, it's absolutely possible that they've patented the "wrist strap iPod Nano holder" nature of the product, as that's unique to the market right now. Really, what matters is how good a patent lawyer they hired.

I believe they are with Smart and Biggar.
    Number Twenty Nine
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1680
    Favorite Team : Dallas
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Number Twenty Nine on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:33 pm

to be brutally honest, $150 for essentially a really fancy one of these is quite a stretch.

Good luck to him though,

http://www.amazon.com/Armband-Apple-iPod-Nano-Generation/dp/B001RY5U94
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:49 pm

SensGirl11 wrote:The Deckster is a watch, the nano does not come with it.
    I don't think it's even a watch... the Nano acts as the watch. This is a wrist strap that holds the new Nano. Which is cool as the Nano can act like a watch and you can have touch access to your music all on your wrist.

Very neat design and I'm sure we'll see a ton of knock-off's. The price point may be a bit steep though @ $150. We'll see.

Good luck!

SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 5050
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Post by SensGirl11 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:09 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:It sounds like a pretty niche market with not much competition right now. Are they concerned that bigger companies will catch on and squeeze them out?

The only other competition that they are aware of right now is the guy that makes Nike watches. He made a similar product, but it's much harder to get the nano in and out of it. So they're better so far for that.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:14 pm

Some competition...

The Notch: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2010/12/the-notch-converts-your-ipod-nano-into-a-watch/

iLoveHandles: http://ilovehandles.net/ (this one is $10)

Hex: http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/2010/11/06/hex-ipod-nano-watch-band/

And more...
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:16 pm

Another: http://mashable.com/2010/11/19/tiktok-lunatik-kickstarter/
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Post by SensGirl11 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:28 pm

shabbs wrote:
    SensGirl11 wrote:The Deckster is a watch, the nano does not come with it.
    I don't think it's even a watch... the Nano acts as the watch. This is a wrist strap that holds the new Nano. Which is cool as the Nano can act like a watch and you can have touch access to your music all on your wrist.

Very neat design and I'm sure we'll see a ton of knock-off's. The price point may be a bit steep though @ $150. We'll see.

Good luck!

You are correct again! Goodness gracious, you'd think I could've had the right information down!

It is the strap watch for the nano, which in turn can be a watch as well (the nano that is). I must say, I saw the prototype for it and it is very cool and great quality. The manufacturer for the leather strap is a company that only makes belts and purses out of the highest quality leather. They do not make straps for watches, but they have taken on the contract for them for life. Pretty cool stuff, nobody else will be able to say that!

Will post more info once I get some more.

As for the price, they have carefully researched the quality of leather and the actual face plate itself to make sure it was the best of the best. Hence the price for it. If you want to buy one that will last forever, this would be the one. If you want to buy one that will fall apart in less than a year, you'd go ahead and buy the $30 one.

You know?
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:31 pm

shabbs wrote:Some competition...

The Notch: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2010/12/the-notch-converts-your-ipod-nano-into-a-watch/

iLoveHandles: http://ilovehandles.net/ (this one is $10)

Hex: http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/2010/11/06/hex-ipod-nano-watch-band/

And more...

shabbs wrote:Another: http://mashable.com/2010/11/19/tiktok-lunatik-kickstarter/
    Guess that answers questions about how broad a patent they have. My guess, then, is that the patent relates to the mechanism itself. I do have to say, it seems like some of those options (particularly the rubber band one for $10) seem like they'd cause you to lose your Nano in about 2 minutes.
    That aside, these guys have their work cut out for them. It seems that there's no shortage of after-market products that function much the same way. Hopefully, their's is a much better product to justify that price-point. Depending on the patent and the quality of the locking mechanism, licensing is still a reasonable option if they can generate interest from Apple.
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Post by SensGirl11 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:33 pm

They got their 1st sale already from the States!!! That's what I'm talking about!!
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:37 pm

Yeah, those rubber ones look like they would not last too long. For the $$$ you spend on the Nano, you'd want something to protect it and that would last.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:38 pm

SensGirl11 wrote:They got their 1st sale already from the States!!! That's what I'm talking about!!

Wicked! Send them our congrats. Always good to see quality triumph over a cheap alternative. (Some of those versions that were linked above looked like Dung.)
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:40 pm

shabbs wrote:Yeah, those rubber ones look like they would not last too long. For the $$$ you spend on the Nano, you'd want something to protect it and that would last.

I get the impression that Apple users like to pay the extra bucks just to be able to say that they paid the extra bucks.
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Post by SensGirl11 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:40 pm

spader wrote:
    SensGirl11 wrote:They got their 1st sale already from the States!!! That's what I'm talking about!!

Wicked! Send them our congrats. Always good to see quality triumph over a cheap alternative. (Some of those versions that were linked above looked like Dung.)

Thanks spader, I'm very excited for them! I will send the congrats along!

Pretty cool that they get their first order from someone they don't even know!

As for the price again, if you're going to spend 150+ on a nano, don't you want it to be protected and know that it is secure, rather than spend $10 only to lose the nano? That would be pretty crappy.

SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Post by SensGirl11 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:42 pm

shabbs wrote:Yeah, those rubber ones look like they would not last too long. For the $$$ you spend on the Nano, you'd want something to protect it and that would last.

Bang on Shabbs!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:51 pm