Marshy's Closed!

Poll

Marshy's is out of business. Who to blame?

[ 2 ]
    33% [33%] 
    [ 1 ]
    17% [17%] 
    [ 2 ]
    33% [33%] 
    [ 1 ]
    17% [17%] 

Total Votes: 6

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13608
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Marshy's Closed!

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:27 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    spader wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:Looks like we all agree that The Gene started Marshy's demise by mercilessly kicking him to the curb.

Good point. Every single vote that has been cast indicates that that is a correct assessment.

These polls are like shifting sand. I'm sure there will be wrong answers here and there.

It's almost as if the poll was rigged or something. Sarcasm

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24763
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:21 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    spader wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:Looks like we all agree that The Gene started Marshy's demise by mercilessly kicking him to the curb.

Good point. Every single vote that has been cast indicates that that is a correct assessment.

These polls are like shifting sand. I'm sure there will be wrong answers here and there.

It's almost as if the poll was rigged or something. Sarcasm

Rigged to absolve Marshy of any responsibility?

Nah.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:29 am

Source?
    22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Number of posts : 531
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-19

Post by 22_4_ever on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:39 am

The original Marshy's at SBP wasn't anything great either....

Being a season ticket holder for 10+ years and also a former employee for 10 years at SBP I frequented the place for the first 5-6 years it was open.

The food was at best mediocre and service (especially) on game day was horrific. What made the place was location and the fact that so many people went there.

Gene actually gave Marsh the opportunity to leave with some $$$ in his pocket, but he was too stupid to realize that the restaurant was only good because of the hockey team. It was closed during the summer and non game days if it was open it was empty aside from a very few regulars at lunch time.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:59 pm

22_4_ever wrote:The original Marshy's at SBP wasn't anything great either....

Being a season ticket holder for 10+ years and also a former employee for 10 years at SBP I frequented the place for the first 5-6 years it was open.

The food was at best mediocre and service (especially) on game day was horrific. What made the place was location and the fact that so many people went there.

Gene actually gave Marsh the opportunity to leave with some $$$ in his pocket, but he was too stupid to realize that the restaurant was only good because of the hockey team. It was closed during the summer and non game days if it was open it was empty aside from a very few regulars at lunch time.

By opportunity do you mean a foot in the Donkey with not so much as a "see ya?"
    22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by 22_4_ever on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:29 pm

Just because someone owns a restaurant at a place where there are 1000's of visitors twice a week during the winter months doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

The service and food at Marshy's was so poor for so long, that at some point I can see it impacting the rest of the building. Funny how everyone is saying that Gene kicked him out on his Donkey, but I ask you if he had a legally binding contract that prevented Melnyk from kick booting him, then why wasn't legal action taken?

Either A) there wasn't such a contract, or that contract had expired or had a clause allowing Marshy to be removed.

Or B) Marshy decided to take a big payout and take his business skills elsewhere.

Tell me what the real story is and I'll give you my opinion, but based on the food and service that hole provided for the last 3 years it was there, I'm surprised it lasted that long. It only succeeded because SBP is basically in the middle of no where with little nothing in terms of restaurants within walking distance, and other options are A) an all you can eat buffet that would cost you 50.00 with 1 beer B) A "high end" restaurant that requires a 100 level ticket and a reservation, and B) another pub style restaurant with very limited seating.

The only thing that kept him in business as long as he was, is the fact that he had a guarantee of a couple thousand customers twice a week for 6 months. I doubt there is a single person here who visited the restaurant on non game days, even back when it was open on non game days.

Lastly, as far as I remember Melnyk bought both the team and building and as long as legally he had the right to remove a tennant, then it's within his business right and sense to do so if it can make him more money. That location is a gold mine if run properly and the fact that Marsh failed miserably at his new location reaffirms my view that the service and food was junk.

I feel bad for Brad, I played hockey with him during a couple of charity events, and he's a great guy. Salt of the earth, but that doesn't mean he should have been in the business he was in.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Melnyk = Heartless ogre

Marshy = clueless victim
    22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by 22_4_ever on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:36 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:Melnyk = Heartless ogre

Marshy = clueless victim

I guess it depends on your perspective....

I'm sure if you paid a whack of money to own something and after a year of watching determined that one of the current tennants was not doing to building or it's image justice you'd do something too...then again maybe you'd be an owner with a big heart and not care about making money.

There are lots of those around too...

Curious how many times you visited the clueless victim at SBP over the last 2 or 3 years he was there?

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16281
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Can someone close down OConnors? I went there with some buddies after the Buffalo game a couple weeks back. They have a $2.99/lb (or something) of wings after 10pm everyday deal running right now.

First of all, our waitress was terrible. She took our order, brought our food a half hour later and then never returned with my 2nd beer or my buddys Diet Coke refill. Its somewhat important to have a beverage when youre eating wings.

Second of all, me and one other guy ordered MEDIUM wings. To me, this means something similar to a Franks-style sauce. What we got was BBQ. What the hell? We were going to complain, but our waitress didnt return, and we didnt want to wait longer. Its the first time Ive ever considered walking out without paying, but my bill was under $15, so I couldnt complain too much I suppose. I think between the five of us at the table, we tipped the waitress a grand total of $2.

Anyway, I know Im off-topic, but couldnt resist sharing another restaurant story.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:48 pm

22_4_ever wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:Melnyk = Heartless ogre

Marshy = clueless victim

I guess it depends on your perspective....

I'm sure if you paid a whack of money to own something and after a year of watching determined that one of the current tennants was not doing to building or it's image justice you'd do something too...then again maybe you'd be an owner with a big heart and not care about making money.

There are lots of those around too...

Curious how many times you visited the clueless victim at SBP over the last 2 or 3 years he was there?

You're reading too much into it. It's a simple matter of The Gene wanting his buddy in there and gassing the legendary Marshy in the process.
    22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by 22_4_ever on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Kanata is horrible for restaurants.

There are not a lot of quality ones out there, at least in the pub style. Most appear not to care as they rest on their main business of Hockey Traffic. Local hero's closed down, although to be honest, I don't remember the last restaurant to last in that location it's now a steak house.

The only thing that has ever got us into O'Conners is the dinner and a movie deal they have.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13608
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Milestones has some nice restrooms.
    22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by 22_4_ever on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Um....Buddy?

Really...I think you're reading too much into things...there is no Buddy. Gene bought Berts bar in the Barbados a couple of years back and the guys is no longer an owner. Don't even know if he's involved in any way.

Marshy was rarely at the place, and his involvement in the last couple of years was in name only. In my opinion it was long over due that the "hole" was gassed for something else.

It's apparent from your comments that it wouldn't have mattered if it was a Bert's bar, or Wayne Gretzky personally opening one of his restaurants there.

I'd still like to know the whole story but from what I've read, Marshy's lease was up and he wasn't extended an offer to return. Don't know how that's being gassed, but I guess because he's Brad Marsh he should have been given a golden ticket and begged to stay.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Milestones has some nice restrooms.

Let's stay on topic, please. That being Marshy's unceremonious send off down the path to destitution by a heartless billionaire.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16281
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Baton Rouge is DELICIOUS, but quite expensive.

I enjoy the ambience of Philthy McNasty's (if it's still there)...although there never seems to be people in there. They also have fries with sour cream and bacon. Yum.
    22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by 22_4_ever on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:01 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:Milestones has some nice restrooms.

Let's stay on topic, please. That being Marshy's unceremonious send off down the path to destitution by a heartless billionaire.

or that of Former player turned restaurantier happily takes patrons money while running business into the ground.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:04 pm

Geez, you guys are really cruel to good ole Marshy. Shame on you all.

Actually, I think he got a sweetheart deal when he retired and that location was his gold watch.

But shame on you all just the same. Dancing
    22_4_ever
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

Post by 22_4_ever on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Shame on Marshy for not being around and letting it get to the state he did, but I guess SBP was a one off, seeing as the Center Pointe location was such a great success.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:16 pm